DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

36 minutes ago, ruhr0hraggy1 said:

It worked! I feel dumb. Thank you.

No problem. This is of course the same for DynDOLOD Output mod which holds files generated by DynDOLOD in ..\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output.

Whenever you regenerate output from TexGen, move that to the TexGen Ouput mod, enable that mod, and then run DynDOLOD again so it picks up these corrected resources. Then move the output from DynDOLOD into the DynDOLOD Output mod and enable that.

Hi,
I upgraded Dyndolod resources to the latest etc. I used to be able to run DynDolod without any issues repeatedly in the last weeks (sometimes had to do a reboot of the computer for it to run).

I am trying now to redo a LOD generation and Dyndolod keeps on encountering issues. Most of all if I run Dyndolod 64, the generation creeps to a very slow grind somehow. Windows 11 itself is slowed down (not the UI, just any action ; trying to open a folder will lead to a blue circle cycling for a while before the window explorer opens etc, same for the snipping tool).

It's very much like the file system is slowed down to a crawl. This did not happen in the weeks before.
There was actually a windows update yesterday. But I have added all exes and folders and even processes to exceptions to windows defender. I even turned off real time protection, changed folder spots etc. I checked for issues with the hard drive but everything is healthy without any issues whatsoever (2tb sn850 pcie4).

The slowed down/hanging file system is really weird. I just forced exit a texture process that was not moving in task manager and Dyndolod gave me a code 5 access denied message.
Looking at DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt ; it looks like Dyndolod is doing stuff all this time (but it's been 20+ minutes without any update on the main window).

Dyndolodx64 rand yesterday one last time properly, I just removed a flickering waterfall fix after that to generate lod again and since then it will just have that behavior.

Well, I can still use my old lod but it really puzzles and frustrates me to encounter this weird filesystem slowdown when running Dyndolod which never happened before.
Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 114543.png

Screenshot 2022-08-19 115105.png

bugreport.txt

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt

Cut DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt

Edited by ricojumpy

7 hours ago, ruhr0hraggy1 said:

I'm finally trying my hand at the step guide all the way through, and I've gotten snagged on TexGen. I don't know what it means by "old" DynDOLOD files, because this is a fresh install of Skyrim (AE) and I haven't done anything with DynDOLOD yet. I have the modding folder set up correctly, and the pathways are all correct to my knowledge.

I've also checked the FAQ, troubleshooting, error messages, and not found anything that mentions this specifically. Anything that might come close to my answer... doesn't seem to work.

why.png

Moved the posts to the DynDOLOD 3 Alpha thread.

Read the first post which log and debug log top upload when making posts.

Do not post screenshots of messages. Use the "Copy message to clipboard" link and paste the text instead as explained on the first post.

Read the message and what it says to do: "Unpack the DynDOLOD Standalone archive into a new DynDOLOD folder" .
"DynDOLOD" refers to the whole package, since it says to unpack the archive into a new folder.

The message means, that the folder you unpacked the DynDOLOD archive to contains old files from the DynDOLOD 2.x installation. 

Follow the https://dyndolod.info/Installation-Instructions, there should not be any files from DynDOLOD 2.x in the new folder. 

5 hours ago, ruhr0hraggy1 said:

Multiple Times.The only place where it's mentioned just says to uninstall the TexGen Output and rerun TexGen. Like, the TexGen Output Mod?? Or the Output Folder?? Either way, they're both empty. It doesn't even mention TexGen, it talks about the DynDOLOD archive.

Please, copy paste the URL of the webpage clicking onto "Click on this link for additional explanations and help for this message" opened so I  can optimize  the on-demand help.

I believe this currently goes to https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Exceptions, which does not mention TexGen or output, so that catch all for any exceptions is not very helpful in this case.

4 hours ago, z929669 said:

TexGen Output mod holds files generated by TexGen in ..\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output

Remove the files in the mod, rerun TexGen, and place the new output in that mod.

The output folders are never checked if old files exists. Any old files will just be overwritten.

TexGen checks the data folder for old output files.

1 hour ago, ricojumpy said:

Hi,
I upgraded Dyndolod resources to the latest etc. I used to be able to run DynDolod without any issues repeatedly in the last weeks (sometimes had to do a reboot of the computer for it to run).

I am trying now to redo a LOD generation and Dyndolod keeps on encountering issues. Most of all if I run Dyndolod 64, the generation creeps to a very slow grind somehow. Windows 11 itself is slowed down (not the UI, just any action ; trying to open a folder will lead to a blue circle cycling for a while before the window explorer opens etc, same for the snipping tool).

It's very much like the file system is slowed down to a crawl. This did not happen in the weeks before.
There was actually a windows update yesterday. But I have added all exes and folders and even processes to exceptions to windows defender. I even turned off real time protection, changed folder spots etc. I checked for issues with the hard drive but everything is healthy without any issues whatsoever (2tb sn850 pcie4).

The slowed down/hanging file system is really weird. I just forced exit a texture process that was not moving in task manager and Dyndolod gave me a code 5 access denied message.
Looking at DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt ; it looks like Dyndolod is doing stuff all this time (but it's been 20+ minutes without any update on the main window).

Dyndolodx64 rand yesterday one last time properly, I just removed a flickering waterfall fix after that to generate lod again and since then it will just have that behavior.

Well, I can still use my old lod but it really puzzles and frustrates me to encounter this weird filesystem slowdown when running Dyndolod which never happened before.
Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 114543.png

Screenshot 2022-08-19 115105.png

bugreport.txt 70.32 kB · 1 download

DynDOLOD_SSE_log.txt 293.69 kB · 0 downloads

Cut DynDOLOD_SSE_Debug_log.txt 28.97 kB · 0 downloads

Upload the entire debug log as explained on the first post.

Do not post screenshots of messages. Use the "Copy message to clipboard" link and paste the text instead as explained on the first post.

The message together with the error to the log is self explanatory. 

<Error: Could not execute "C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Texconvx64.exe" -nologo -y -m 1 -aw 256 -f R8G8B8A8_UNORM -o "C:\Users\yeric\AppData\Local\Temp\DynDOLOD_SSE" "C:\Users\yeric\AppData\Local\Temp\DynDOLOD_SSE\D5B76E73590E4098AB4B1238F8BED077.dds">

"Error: System Error. Code: 5. Access is denied."
"System Error" means the OS. The OS denied access.

Texconv is executed hundreds of times when running TexGen and DynDOLOD. DynDOLOD uses standard OS function to read/write files or to execute Texconv. Programs can not really do anything about the OS suddenly denying access as it is the OS and drivers that control the hardware.

Check the overall memory usage. From the screenshot of the task manager  it seems fine. Check over usage on the Performance tab.
Check the overall disk usage from the Performance tab as well, there should't be much going at that stage of the process. Just reading/write a couple textures.

I suggest to not use the Preview channel of Windows 11, unless you are actually prepared to beta test and report these types of problems to MS.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

Upload the entire debug log as explained on the first post.

Well it is 150Mb heavy so not sure I could.

1 hour ago, sheson said:

Check the overall disk usage from the Performance tab as well, there should't be much going at that stage of the process. Just reading/write a couple textures.

I suggest to not use the Preview channel of Windows 11, unless you are actually prepared to beta test and report these types of problems to MS.

Disk usage is really abysmally low when Dyndolod64 runs so that is linked to the file system access issue. Latest windows updates were Defender definitions.
I guess I am screwed until another official windows 11 update to test out if insider build caused that as I don't want to reinstall windows for now.
I should try to rerun the texture gen to see if the issue happens on there now too as a test.

Ah well. My old lod gen is working fine.

52 minutes ago, ricojumpy said:

Sorry about RTFM.

Here is the debug if ever it is relevant.

Test these things:

I suggest to use the Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL) and not any of the optional newer drivers that still seem to contain OpenGL bugs as discussed in this thread recently.

Stop/Uninstall other crapware from AMD that gets installed with the driver, like the AMD's Radeon Software. It caused slow down problems before.

Might have found something else in windows events log :

Description: A .NET application failed.
Application: LODGenWin.exe
Path: C:\Modding\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGenWin.exe
Message: The required library C:\Program Files (x86)\dotnet\host\fxr\3.1.8\hostfxr.dll does not support single-file apps.
  _ To run this application, you need to install a newer version of .NET Core.

As for the drivers, not sure what we can do.
Users do use the Radeon Software, there is not really a way to avoid that.
Running a test with updated .net routines.

Edited by ricojumpy

54 minutes ago, ricojumpy said:

Might have found something else in windows events log :

LODGenWin.exe was never used or accessed in this generation process of the logs you uploaded. You started the x64 version of the tools. If anything it uses LODGenx64Win.exe and testing it at the start of DynDOLOD passed without problem.

External: C:\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGenx64Win.exe, Version: 3.0.9.0, Date: 2022-05-18 08:00:00

As for the drivers, not sure what we can do.

As explained install the Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL) and not one of the versions that are not recommended.

Users do use the Radeon Software, there is not really a way to avoid that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=install+AMD+drivers+without+radeon+software

There might be an option to disable whatever "optimization" it is trying to do that caused the reported problems.

--> Well, that got better as Dyndolod began generating meshes for Tamriel but it silently quit as it did so, leaving only a command window updating the lod that close once it finished and dyndolod stayed closed (and indeed, it looks like adrenalin software froze).

I will try 22.5.1 later.
Removing Radeon Software is like removing your driving wheel to me or at least the assisted direction, I won't do that.
Thanks for trying to find a solution ! Will try to get a bit of fresh air and everything will magically work later.

Edited by ricojumpy

42 minutes ago, ricojumpy said:

--> Well, that got better as Dyndolod began generating meshes for Tamriel but it silently quit as it did so, leaving only a command window updating the lod that close once it finished and dyndolod stayed closed (and indeed, it looks like adrenalin software froze).

I will try 22.5.1 later.
Removing Radeon Software is like removing your driving wheel to me. Nope.
Thanks for trying to find a solution ! Will try to get a bit of fresh air and everything will magically work later.

The drivers are all that are required. You can uninstall crapware, test if there are any changes in behavior and then install it again if so desired. Or use a restore point if that seems more convenient.

Maybe it has an option to disable any "optimizations" it promises to do.

I will try that.

Found a weird thing with Texture conversion command-line tool being in suspended state in task manager too when I left for a while to look for my dog.

Couldn't find the dog and dyndolod got stuck. Looks like a multi pronged computer stuff porcupine designed by architects to make you go crazy.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 163455.png

1 hour ago, ricojumpy said:

I will try that.

Found a weird thing with Texture conversion command-line tool being in suspended state in task manager too when I left for a while to look for my dog.

Couldn't find the dog and dyndolod got stuck. Looks like a multi pronged computer stuff porcupine designed by architects to make you go crazy.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 163455.png

Texconv uses directx to convert textures. Maybe there is a problem or it can read/write textures files.

DynDOLOD will wait for Texconv to complete. If you kill Texconv via task manager, DynDOLOD should continue with an related error.