DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

20 minutes ago, Persefale said:

Hi, in general, I start generating textures and this error comes out: Error: opengl: not enough memory

Moved to the DynDOLOD 3 Alpha thread. Read the first post which log and debug log to upload when making posts. Also read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum

As explained check the FAQ https://dyndolod.info/FAQ answers for "High memory usage / Out of memory"
If TexGen runs out of memory, add a line TextureCache=10 to ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\TexGen_[GAME MODE].INI. Try lower settings. Make sure as much video memory as possible is available by closing other programs.

Make sure that best graphics card with the most VRAM is the default/first one the OS uses and not some integrated one.

8 hours ago, sheson said:

That is the vanilla glow of Whiterun. Have you not opened console and clicked on it to get its form id etc.?

As ridiculous as it may sound, I actually did but from my vantage point most of it wasn't visible. I could definitely see it was a vanilla object through-and-through and took a screenshot. Then I got distracted with the artifacts on the lod treetops. I've now looked at the model in NifSkope and it all makes perfect sense.

Sorry for bothering you... this was indeed a really stupid question. Thanks for your patience.

Side-note: I use a mod that highlights selected objects in the console, painting them in transparent white - very useful in general, but not on white glow objects.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

7 hours ago, sheson said:

Please upload the object LOD level 4 *.BTO file for that area as indicated by the DynDOLOD SkyUI MCM.

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GORwmN43Uy0LC4EXq5ogPv89azwTAz7s/view

Thanks.

2 hours ago, sheson said:

Moved to the DynDOLOD 3 Alpha thread. Read the first post which log and debug log to upload when making posts. Also read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum

As explained check the FAQ https://dyndolod.info/FAQ answers for "High memory usage / Out of memory"
If TexGen runs out of memory, add a line TextureCache=10 to ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\TexGen_[GAME MODE].INI. Try lower settings. Make sure as much video memory as possible is available by closing other programs.

Make sure that best graphics card with the most VRAM is the default/first one the OS uses and not some integrated one.

I forgot to write that this happens at "Gathering base records for billboards"

4 hours ago, Mousetick said:

What is the actual game screen resolution, graphics card, driver version?

The V for those trees is indeed set exactly to 0.5 Kind of wild that those happen to exhibited this problem.

Do you actually notice it when walking around normally in the game?

6 hours ago, sheson said:

What is the actual game screen resolution, graphics card, driver version?

1920x1200 (16:10), AMD RX 580 8GB, Adrenalin 22.6.1 (2022-06-22), All driver settings set to default in AMD tool, No additional AMD crapware.

I'm using the Windows port of DXVK (DirectX-to-Vulkan) and immediately thought that could be the culprit, so I tested again without it, it was the same.

Do you actually notice it when walking around normally in the game?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but it went like this: I generated LODs with TexGen + DynDOLOD, enabled DynDOLOD plugins, and started new game to check the LODs (until then I'd been testing the mods and game without DynDOLOD, only with xLODGen terrain LOD + vanilla LODs). I walked normally around Riverwood and Whiterun, and noticed the lines/crosses on the treetops of the pine tree LODs against the clear sky background. I walked normally some more, closer and further from the trees, to make sure it's wasn't a fluke and confirm they were LOD-related. I then turned on free camera to get closer and take some screenshots.

The artifacts are still present after quitting/restarting/reloading the game.

I hope that answers your question? I can do some more walking around if that's useful, in other places, like Falkreath or Haafingar.

Note: I play without AA, which probably makes it more noticeable. I could try turning on FXAA and/or TAA to see what difference it makes. Not that I would play with it, but out of curiosity.

To give you a better idea perhaps, here are a couple shots taken from the ground at normal viewing distance (no free camera):

image.jpegimage.jpeg

See if you can spot the artifacts.

Let me know if you'd like to try some things in particular. I'm not currently playing the game, I'm still testing/finalizing the load order, so I don't mind.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if it were GPU-related, in which case further investigation and tests might be pointless.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Mousetick said:

1920x1200 (16:10), AMD RX 580 8GB, Adrenalin 22.6.1 (2022-06-22), All driver settings set to default in AMD tool, No additional AMD crapware.

I'm using the Windows port of DXVK (DirectX-to-Vulkan) and immediately thought that could be the culprit, so I tested again without it, it was the same.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, but it went like this: I generated LODs with TexGen + DynDOLOD, enabled DynDOLOD plugins, and started new game to check the LODs (until then I'd been testing the mods and game without DynDOLOD, only with xLODGen terrain LOD + vanilla LODs). I walked normally around Riverwood and Whiterun, and noticed the lines/crosses on the treetops of the pine tree LODs against the clear sky background. I walked normally some more, closer and further from the trees, to make sure it's wasn't a fluke and confirm they were LOD-related. I then turned on free camera to get closer and take some screenshots.

The artifacts are still present after quitting/restarting/reloading the game.

I hope that answers your question? I can do some more walking around if that's useful, in other places, like Falkreath or Haafingar.

Note: I play without AA, which probably makes it more noticeable. I could try turning on FXAA and/or TAA to see what difference it makes. Not that I would play with it, but out of curiosity.

To give you a better idea perhaps, here are a couple shots taken from the ground at normal viewing distance (no free camera):

image.jpegimage.jpeg

See if you can spot the artifacts.

Let me know if you'd like to try some things in particular. I'm not currently playing the game, I'm still testing/finalizing the load order, so I don't mind.

But I wouldn't be too surprised if it were GPU-related, in which case further investigation and tests might be pointless.

Thanks.

Will be fixed next version. The mipmap generation is wrapping the texture instead of clamping it.

• +1 1
  • Like 2

Will be fixed next version. The mipmap generation is wrapping the texture instead of clamping it.

That's cool. I'm glad you were able to pin down the bug, and it sounds like it was a very simple fix, which is even better.

So the billboard mipmap's top contained bits of the texture's bottom, and my combination of aspect ratio + FOV caused one more mipmap line to be rendered. Am I grokking this?

16:10 is pretty uncommon these days. I'm not sure if it's still manufactured. That's too bad. It's good for gaming but mostly great for programming/writing or general computing. Luckily for me I use a DELL Pro flat-panel that's built like a tank and won't die, 11-years old and counting.

Thanks for looking into this issue and fixing it.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

That's cool. I'm glad you were able to pin down the bug, and it sounds like it was a very simple fix, which is even better.

So the billboard mipmap's top contained bits of the texture's bottom, and my combination of aspect ratio + FOV caused one more mipmap line to be rendered. Am I grokking this?

16:10 is pretty uncommon these days. I'm not sure if it's still manufactured. That's too bad. It's good for gaming but mostly great for programming/writing or general computing. Luckily for me I use a DELL Pro flat-panel that's built like a tank and won't die, 11-years old and counting.

Thanks for looking into this issue and fixing it.

I think tree size, billboard (mipmap) resolution, screen resolutions (and actual physical pixel size), fov and whatever AAs plus distance just visually hides it for most people. I am not sure when this regression started either.

Now that the mipmap issue is taken care of, let's move on to the next issue :)

Lush Vanilla Trees is listed on https://dyndolod.info/Help/Ultra-Tree-LOD among "mods that are known and tested to contain hybrid trees." In my experience, it hasn't worked out. The mod doesn't provide any documentation for 3D LODs, the MA has been apparently inactive for a long time, there are probably 2 or 3 other users beside me - basically it's a dead mod, so it's DIY time.

As you may have noticed in my Object_Report.txt while troubleshooting the mipmap bug, DynDOLOD fails to find the 3D LOD meshes for each TreePineForest TREE, as shown below for example:

Spoiler
TreePineForest01 [TREE:0001306D] Meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif [CRC32:34A5CAFB] using textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp_n.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp_n.dds 
	Replaced tree, Billboard found, 3D LOD model not found treepineforest01_34A5CAFB
	Billboard_0: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d.dds, textures\default_n.dds
	Billboard_1: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_1.dds, textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_1_n.dds
	Billboard_2: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_2.dds, textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_2_n.dds
	Dynamic: Meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif using textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp_n.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp_n.dds
	LOD4: Billboard1 using internal
	LOD8: Billboard4 using dyndolod_flat_4x2_lod.nif
	LOD16: Billboard1 using internal

The mod does come with 3D LOD meshes (and some pre-rendered billboards, which I promptly threw away):

Spoiler

image.png

As you can see above, some meshes contain CRC32 and others not. The ones containing CRC32 are for custom full models enabled with a plugin. I'm not using any of that. The other ones, without CRC32 are for vanilla full model replacers, without plugin. I'm using those full model replacers.

This is treepineforest01passthru_lod.nif in NifSkope, for example. It looks fine to me, but I wouldn't know if it were wrong:

Spoiler

image.png

Using 7Zip's CRC32 feature, I got the CRC32 of treepineforest01.nif and it is indeed 34A5CAFB.

Questions:

• Can I just insert the corresponding CRC32 into each 3D LOD mesh filename? For example:
treepineforest01passthru_lod.nif > treepineforest01_34A5CAFBpassthru_lod.nif

Thanks.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

Now that the mipmap issue is taken care of, let's move on to the next issue :)

Lush Vanilla Trees is listed on https://dyndolod.info/Help/Ultra-Tree-LOD among "mods that are known and tested to contain hybrid trees." In my experience, it hasn't worked out. The mod doesn't provide any documentation for 3D LODs, the MA has been apparently inactive for a long time, there are probably 2 or 3 other users beside me - basically it's a dead mod, so it's DIY time.

As you may have noticed in my Object_Report.txt while troubleshooting the mipmap bug, DynDOLOD fails to find the 3D LOD meshes for each TreePineForest TREE, as shown below for example:

Hide contents
TreePineForest01 [TREE:0001306D] Meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif [CRC32:34A5CAFB] using textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp_n.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp_n.dds 
	Replaced tree, Billboard found, 3D LOD model not found treepineforest01_34A5CAFB
	Billboard_0: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d.dds, textures\default_n.dds
	Billboard_1: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_1.dds, textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_1_n.dds
	Billboard_2: textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_2.dds, textures\terrain\lodgen\skyrim.esm\treepineforest01_0001306d_2_n.dds
	Dynamic: Meshes\landscape\trees\treepineforest01.nif using textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbranchcomp_n.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp.dds, textures\landscape\trees\treepineforestbarkcomp_n.dds
	LOD4: Billboard1 using internal
	LOD8: Billboard4 using dyndolod_flat_4x2_lod.nif
	LOD16: Billboard1 using internal

The mod does come with 3D LOD meshes (and some pre-rendered billboards, which I promptly threw away):

Hide contents

image.png

As you can see above, some meshes contain CRC32 and others not. The ones containing CRC32 are for custom full models enabled with a plugin. I'm not using any of that. The other ones, without CRC32 are for vanilla full model replacers, without plugin. I'm using those full model replacers.

This is treepineforest01passthru_lod.nif in NifSkope, for example. It looks fine to me, but I wouldn't know if it were wrong:

Hide contents

image.png

Using 7Zip's CRC32 feature, I got the CRC32 of treepineforest01.nif and it is indeed 34A5CAFB.

Questions:

• Can I just insert the corresponding CRC32 into each 3D LOD mesh filename? For example:
treepineforest01passthru_lod.nif > treepineforest01_34A5CAFBpassthru_lod.nif

Thanks.

As the link gives away the Skyrim version was tested many years ago for DynDOLOD 2.x

https://dyndolod.info/Help/3D-Tree-LOD-Model explains the CRC32 filename convention. The CRC32 just needs to be inserted into the filename between _ and passthru.nif

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sheson said:

https://dyndolod.info/Help/3D-Tree-LOD-Model explains the CRC32 filename convention. The CRC32 just needs to be inserted into the filename between _ and passthru.nif

Thanks for the confirmation. Everything's peachy now after inserting the CRC32s.

3 hours ago, sheson said:

As the link gives away the Skyrim version was tested many years ago for DynDOLOD 2.x

Yes, I'm aware it's an old LE mod.

However it's also available on Skyrim SE Nexus, which is how I came across this mod. Someone simply re-uploaded it there, with the original MA's permission. It's identical to the LE original (same file dates, etc.) So the fact that LVT is listed on https://dyndolod.info/Help/Ultra-Tree-LOD can cause some confusion in people's mind as to its viability with DynDOLOD 3. Not everyone is as smart, knowledgeable or resourceful as you or the folks hosting this community.

As this post demonstrates, from not long ago:

Can't seem to get the 3d lods working with Dyndolod 3.0...

I doubt the user was ever able to make it work on their own.

It's obviously impossible to keep track of, and support, all tree mods ever published. I'm simply bringing the issue with this particular mod to your attention, in case you deem it appropriate to act upon it.

I'd humbly suggest two options for your consideration:

• Remove LVT from https://dyndolod.info/Help/Ultra-Tree-LOD, or add a qualified note to indicate it's only compatible with DynDOLOD 2.x.
  • Add LVT SE to https://dyndolod.info/Help/Ultra-Tree-LOD and include the 3D LOD meshes with CRC32 filenames into DynDOLOD 3 Resources, as they are open permissions and the full models are unlikely to ever be updated. Just like the SBT 3D LOD meshes are included in DynDOLOD 3 Resources.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Mousetick said:

As this post demonstrates, from not long ago:

I doubt the user was ever able to make it work on their own.

What the post demonstrates is that users not following the official instructions to ask on the official DynDOLOD support forum to get qualified answers and help or to report issues.

3 hours ago, Mousetick said:

It's obviously impossible to keep track of, and support, all tree mods ever published. I'm simply bringing the issue with this particular mod to your attention, in case you deem it appropriate to act upon it.

This is the way.

Master Sheson,

I very recently built a new pc and tried to run TexGen this morning for the first time on the new machine. It crashes back to MO2 screen after reaching the "create textures" phase. There were no logs generated in the DynDOLOD folder. I worked through your suggestions here and I think I found the issue, but am at a loss as to how to fix it. It does NOT appear to be DynDOLOD's fault at all, but an issue with Nvidia OpenGL driver? I have the latest nvidia drivers installed(12/6/22).

These are the event log entries when it crashes.

Could you spare a minute to help? Thank you. :)

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

Edited by Khermiit
Image fix

3 hours ago, Khermiit said:

Master Sheson,

I very recently built a new pc and tried to run TexGen this morning for the first time on the new machine. It crashes back to MO2 screen after reaching the "create textures" phase. There were no logs generated in the DynDOLOD folder. I worked through your suggestions here and I think I found the issue, but am at a loss as to how to fix it. It does NOT appear to be DynDOLOD's fault at all, but an issue with Nvidia OpenGL driver? I have the latest nvidia drivers installed(12/6/22).

These are the event log entries when it crashes.

Could you spare a minute to help? Thank you. :)

Screenshot (9).png

Screenshot (10).png

https://dyndolod.info/FAQ "High memory usage / Out of memory"
Use the x64 versions of the tools. Let the OS handle virtual memory/page file settings. Close other programs and background processes.