Issues with Grass Cache for Seasons

I have been trying to generate a grass cache for Seasons of Skyrim with Seasonal Landscapes but my cache keeps coming out looking all blotchy like so: https://postimg.cc/Rq3fkGf8

Now i did this right once because I sent my friend a picture: https://postimg.cc/mh0MBMyr BUT IDK what i did and haven't been able to recreate this miracle. I went to bed, moved a few mods around and it's been coming up blotchy again ever sense. Not sure what happened but this was real because with seasons turned off it was giving me summer grass, this was rich and full fall grass with both seasons and the grass cache active - but alas even with the same grass cache i could not get it to look like this again.

Does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong to have the grass appear blotchy like that? I have followed all of the steps on https://github.com/The-Animonculory/Modding-Resources/blob/main/Grass Lods.md

I should note that I am generating cache for use with AE using a secondary install of skyrim on SE. As far as load order i have tried an empty profile of just the relevant mods and it still comes out looking like top pic regardless of the permutation of mods i have active. 

I have tried nearly everything and am sadly out of ideas, playing without a grass cache is better than playing with this blotchy mess. If anyone has any idea what is going wrong here that would be greatly appreciated, I have been stuck on this problem for days and have finally resorted to asking in forums.

20220906002705_1.jpg

photo_2022-09-05_12-22-43.jpg

Edited by DoubleYou
formatting

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have tried both with and without ENB complex grass installed by Seasonal Landscapes, do you mean to turn it off on the ENB level?

The issue with ENB complex grass being on or off is that it makes the grass float if ENB is turned off, my blotchy grass doesnt appear to be floating i am afraid

photo_2022-09-11_23-10-50.jpg

photo_2022-09-11_23-10-54.jpg

Edited by Taisaijin

Thank you for help this morning, and also your great mods! I have traced the problem back to NGIO itself, when I turn that on it kills my seasonal landscapes grass and i get the stuff that's in the pictures. This is with NGIO configured to what Step was calling for.

Here is before and after with NGIO

20220912063142_1.jpg

20220912063255_1.jpg

Edited by Taisaijin

46 minutes ago, Taisaijin said:

the guide wants both of those things set to true, but if i do that i get sad blotchy grass everywhere

But for SAE, the assumption is that you are generating grass in SSE 1.5.97 using the NGIO settings described. Once completed, the grass cache is used in SAE without NGIO, and you should be good (i.e., NGIO settings no longer apply without NGIO ... it's only used for creating the grass cache. See the note at the top of that guide).

Right but it was when i sent that cache over to AE i would still have the exact same crabby grass that was in my SE game, which was being created by having those 2 settings in NGIO. you really don't want to set it to use cache if havent generated it yet correct? or am i missing something?

54 minutes ago, Taisaijin said:

Right but it was when i sent that cache over to AE i would still have the exact same crabby grass that was in my SE game, which was being created by having those 2 settings in NGIO. you really don't want to set it to use cache if havent generated it yet correct? or am i missing something?

Hmmm ... it's been a while since I did it.

NGIO is not enabled in AE (nor is it compatible). Use  NGIO with those settings in 1.5.97 when creating the grass cache for use by DynDOLOD. Once you move to AE (1.6.xxx), you only bring over the grass cache files generated in 1.5.97, NGIO no longer plays a role.

I didn't think UseGrassCache NGIO setting had any impact on the grass cache itself in AE. @DoubleYou has done this more recently, so let's see what he thinks. We may need to update the instructions if I am wrong about this.

53 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

If this is the case, the grass cache is incorrect for your current load order. You will need to regenerate the cache using your current mods. 

Please see my previous post and confirm if NGIO settings do apply as stated in the guide and that they are n/a once the cache is created and moving over to AE.