How do your MM rocks LODs look?

I'm referring to the LOD meshes for large rocks provided by MM LOD Pack. Mine look ugly compared to those provided by DynDOLOD Resources.

A few comparison shots: DynDOLOD Resources > MM LOD Pack.

/meshes/lod/rocks/rockl01_lod_0.nif

image.pngimage.png

/meshes/lod/rocks/rockl03_lod_0.nif

image.pngimage.png

/meshes/lod/rocks/rockl05_lod_0.nif

image.pngimage.png

Ignoring the difference in the textures themselves (which is a separate issue), and considering only the quality, the DynDOLOD Resources' version is much better. It's not really surprising I think, since DynDOLOD Resources' meshes use the full model 2x1K textures /textures/landscape/mountains/mountainslab02.dds, while MM LOD Pack's meshes use the puny 256x256 LOD texture /textures/lod/mountainslablod.dds.

So what's the deal with MM LOD Pack? This is so confusing. I'm tempted to experiment with DynDOLOD Resources overwriting MM LOD Pack instead of the other way around.

Please share your results/experiences if different, and your thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.

Do not use these kinds of comparisons for lods. You must test these in game to see the difference. The Resources versions are higher poly, full texture, and outside the recommended uv scale limits, so obviously it will look better in a mesh preview. However, it will likely significantly lower your performance without any visible upgrade simply due to how far away they are. 

These are all things that I have learned from creating my own lod resources for Fallout 4.

• 1 month later...
On 8/4/2022 at 11:49 PM, DoubleYou said:

Do not use these kinds of comparisons for lods. You must test these in game to see the difference. The Resources versions are higher poly, full texture, and outside the recommended uv scale limits, so obviously it will look better in a mesh preview. However, it will likely significantly lower your performance without any visible upgrade simply due to how far away they are. 

These are all things that I have learned from creating my own lod resources for Fallout 4.

Forgive my ignorance, but the STEP guide, starting at 04-Foundation shows DynDOLOD Resources, which shows as the 17th mod to be installed, and everything below it, is over writing it, which is pretty much everything you install afterwards, and I use MO2.

If using MO2, should DynDOLOD Resources have higher or lower priority? Because I have the Resources at the bottom of MO2 with the highest priority, but everywhere I've read online, everyone says to let everything overwrite DynDOLOD Resources.

This is where I've been placing DynDOLOD Resources in MO2.

MO2.thumb.jpg.53da80b8c77e826a733ce9e9562a31c5.jpg

I'm also asking, as I've been wondering about the rock textures and the priority of the Resources.

THANKS

Edited by mooit

It depends on your installed mods. There are few mods that would overwrite it. Textures are made automatically compatible via TexGen in most cases. If having difficulty with lod textures not matching, typically you just need to rerun TexGen and DynDOLOD. Otherwise, do consult the relevant mod author's pages if there are any conflicts they call out that need to be lower. 

8 hours ago, mooit said:

Forgive my ignorance, but the STEP guide, starting at 04-Foundation shows DynDOLOD Resources, which shows as the 17th mod to be installed, and everything below it, is over writing it, which is pretty much everything you install afterwards, and I use MO2.

If using MO2, should DynDOLOD Resources have higher or lower priority? Because I have the Resources at the bottom of MO2 with the highest priority, but everywhere I've read online, everyone says to let everything overwrite DynDOLOD Resources.

This is where I've been placing DynDOLOD Resources in MO2.

MO2.thumb.jpg.53da80b8c77e826a733ce9e9562a31c5.jpg

I'm also asking, as I've been wondering about the rock textures and the priority of the Resources.

THANKS

99% of the time, you want to overwrite DynDOLOD Resources just as we describe in the guide. That mod only provides resources for DynDOLOD, and it's not relevant if the respective mod authors are now beginning to do so themselves.

... I had thought you had been using our guide to sort out issues like this.