Step Skyrim Special Edition - SSE - Guide?

Here's a screen shot of the DynDOLOD grass section, if you don't have the grass cache then this section is grayed out and you don't have access to it and DyDODLOD doesn't generate it. 

1609553886_DynDOLODGrass.thumb.jpg.5a3b08325470f168c41ce8d36508de0e.jpg

And, all I was trying to do, I was just making sure it was correct that the 'Step Patch - Conflict Resolution will over write some of the grass cache in;  C:\Modding\MO2\overwrite\grass

Mistakes and bugs happen all the time, I was only making sure it was correct is all.

THANKS

P.S. I did read 'When should I activate patches for mods?', it has nothing to do with my question, I'm only asking a question about 'Step Patch - Conflict Resolution' over writting the grass cache, that is all. But you mentioned 'Yes' before to allow it to overwrite, so we're all good.

Edited by mooit

Please see my previous post. There is much in the guide and on this topic that you have not read. It really is explained.

unfortunately, reading is a requirement ... we created the guide to avert having to explain it over and over again.

There is no bug in the guide that I am aware of, but if there is, we have a topic on which you should post. This is obvious if you actually go to the guide and start at the beginning.

image.png

@mooit

I understand you consider yourself a more advanced modder and that's fine. However, you're consistently running into issues because you are trying to adjust your current mod list to the Guide, which I would only suggest an advanced user performing because there are a lot of changes you'll likely have to make. In any case, this is not how the Guide was intended for use nor how it was designed. You may certainly use it as you are, but doing so with the knowledge it's an advanced task and you will not end up with the same results. We tend to recommend that users first follow the Guide exactly and 100% before adding their own twists. This ensures you have the Guide set up probably and allows us to streamline our support (since everyone is doing the same thing; aka following the Guide).

With that said and from this point on, I believe we are going to treat you as a non-Guide user because you are essentially doing your own thing and it's causing a lot of unnecessary frustration on both sides. As for the Guide Patches and due to your choices, you will not be able to use any of them unless you clean them of certain masters that you will be missing. Please ensure you create your own CR patch to ensure your mods are patched before you play the game.

Wait, let's back up, and start the conversation(s) over please. :)

I'm not running into any issues, or having problems, or trouble.

Having issues, and asking questions, aren't the same thing, and somehow people confused the two.

I've been simply asking questions, about how to do certain things, that I was not able to find any information on how to go about these things, like adjusting tree lighting, allowing a mod to overwrite certain files, if that was acceptable, etc.

There's only been frustration, and confusion, because maybe, people aren't simply just looking at what I'm talking about and asking, but seeing things in a different light, because sometimes, we see what we want to see.

SO, I'm not doing anything my way, or any particular way either, I am following the guide, but the guide doesn't come out and explain certain details, and that is all I've been doing, just asking about certain details, nothing else, I'm not adding anything of my own twists, etc..

I think if I had to put my finger on one thing, that has sparked this, is because I was installing mods manually not automated with MO2, and the guide appears to be written and assumed everyone is using MO2 automated.

Don't treat anyone like anything, to say, you are going to treat anyone as a particular user isn't the way to go about this, we are simply modders here of varying degrees of experience, that is all.

StepModifications IMHO doesn't come across as a newbie site, but more of a geek modding site, think about that for a second, especially when you consider at the level, what is going on around here, with like DynDOLOD, etc.

So what I've been seeing all along, is that this guide seems to be geared towards doing it only one way, also maybe geared towards newer users. 

There is nothing wrong with making guides geared towards specific users, at specific levels of experience, so you could write several guides as an example, one for newbies and one for experienced, but if you write one guide, then you should write it, so anyone at any level can use it.

So I hope I've explained all of this better?

Edited by mooit

One thing that would be great, so people can roll a bit of their own from this guide, is if the Step Patches were made with a FOMOD installer, that shows all the various things being patched, and simply patches what you have installed, after all, there are a lot of FOMOD installers out there that do this.

I would have to say, this is the only area where I run into a wall. I hope maybe both of the Step Patches in the future might be able to be FOMOD installers like this.

THANKS

8 hours ago, mooit said:

I've been simply asking questions, about how to do certain things, that I was not able to find any information on how to go about these things, like adjusting tree lighting, allowing a mod to overwrite certain files, if that was acceptable, etc.

There's only been frustration, and confusion, because maybe, people aren't simply just looking at what I'm talking about and asking, but seeing things in a different light, because sometimes, we see what we want to see.

SO, I'm not doing anything my way, or any particular way either, I am following the guide, but the guide doesn't come out and explain certain details, and that is all I've been doing, just asking about certain details, nothing else, I'm not adding anything of my own twists, etc..

I think if I had to put my finger on one thing, that has sparked this, is because I was installing mods manually not automated with MO2, and the guide appears to be written and assumed everyone is using MO2 automated.

Don't treat anyone like anything, to say, you are going to treat anyone as a particular user isn't the way to go about this, we are simply modders here of varying degrees of experience, that is all.

I agree that is what sparked most of the confusion that lead to the frustration. I also agree with the others that it is, indeed, out of the ordinary to not use the button to download with your mod manager. What can I say...I'm a libra. :happy: However, I wouldn't really agree with you that you are following the Guide, as designed. You've already stated that you are adjusting your current mod list to the Guide and are already swapping out mods on the fly. As I mentioned before, this is not how the Guide was designed for use. What you are doing may not be that more 'advanced', but nonetheless it is different vs the Guide's intended use. I'll explain.

We expect users to install the Guide from start to finish, starting from scratch, and no deviations during the process (if you already have mods installed, that's fine just deactivate them and move them in place instead of reinstalling). This process starts with our System Setup Guide and ends when a Guide is 100% installed. Once the Guide is confirmed 100% working, new users can just jump in and play. More advanced users can, at this point, start their deviations. This design allows the Guides to be flexible, while still pleasing most user groups. This is also why Z was insistent on you starting over from scratch during some of the back and forth, which ended up being the manual downloads hiccup. But why design the Guides to be used this way? Such design ensures consistency across the board for us and the user, whether they're completely new to modding or an advanced user.

I'll go deeper into consistency and why it matters. First, Guide Curators have installed their Guide dozens of times during development. They/we know the ins and outs and exactly what users should expect when installing the Guides, as instructed. When all our users are installing the Guide in the exact same manner, Curators are far better equipped to help users, quickly and efficiently. This can usually be achieved with minimal interaction and confusion since they/we know where the user has errored or what part of the Guide needs to be fixed. Any deviation from this, will make it much harder for Curators to track down user issues because they must first get on the same page as the user that's deviating.

I hope that better explains why, from our perspective, you are not following the intended process. These are the main reasons I said it would be best to consider you as a non-Guide user, even though you may still be using it. It's not a positive or negative consideration. It helps us to better help you knowing this information; thus, knowing to expect some deviation in your case. Nothing more, nothing less. I apologize if that came off in any negative way.

8 hours ago, mooit said:

StepModifications IMHO doesn't come across as a newbie site, but more of a geek modding site, think about that for a second, especially when you consider at the level, what is going on around here, with like DynDOLOD, etc.

So what I've been seeing all along, is that this guide seems to be geared towards doing it only one way, also maybe geared towards newer users. 

There is nothing wrong with making guides geared towards specific users, at specific levels of experience, so you could write several guides as an example, one for newbies and one for experienced, but if you write one guide, then you should write it, so anyone at any level can use it.

So I hope I've explained all of this better?

I hope with that explanation you may understand how the Guides are designed equally for new users and advanced users. New users simply follow our instructions without deviations and they will result in a wonderfully modded and vanilla-like experience. Advance user can go beyond the Guide and change things up as they please knowing that they have a solid foundation to build upon. For advances users the Guides are just a starting point, or a "close to the end" point. Since we patch out the entire Guide, advanced users only need to create one additional, custom CR patch for their additions. Additionally, our patches can be used as a starting point to be built upon and customized, as well. I always say, you can do anything you want...if you know what you're doing.

So the only reason you're seeing it your view, see because it seems you weren't understanding how we meant for the Guides to be installed. You're rolling your own process over there, which is totally fine as long as you know it will be more difficult for us to help you regarding your changes. Especially if you're swapping out mods since we may not be familiar with them.

So to quote you, "I hope I've explained 'our side' of this better";) Trust when I say that our process has been refined down to what it is from a decade of revisions. Yes, we may expect users to follow our process, but in the end it still caters to a very wide range of users. Following our process is the only real caveat to it.

8 hours ago, mooit said:

One thing that would be great, so people can roll a bit of their own from this guide, is if the Step Patches were made with a FOMOD installer, that shows all the various things being patched, and simply patches what you have installed, after all, there are a lot of FOMOD installers out there that do this.

I would have to say, this is the only area where I run into a wall. I hope maybe both of the Step Patches in the future might be able to be FOMOD installers like this.

THANKS

If you're talking about more patches for more compatibility, well that would require dozens of plugins to match the various combinations of which users could 'pick and choose'. We went down that road once and it was a maintenance nightmare. It's the reason our Patches are now 'all or nothing'; still offering some choice for some of Kry's mods.

If you're talking about us combining our current Patching into a FOMOD, that's possible assuming the Curators want to do it.

Hey, I figured for all the abuse I caused, LOL, I at least should show you some eye candy, SSE with a 3080.

Enjoy! :)

If anyone wants to see more pics, just let me know, I'll be happy to show what the 3080 can do.

Meet my character Dalania! ;)

Dalania-Whiterun — ImgBB (ibb.co)

Dalania at the Silver Blood Inn

Dalania-Silver-Blood-Inn — ImgBB (ibb.co)

Silver-Blood-Inn — ImgBB (ibb.co)

Silver-Blood-Inn-Room — ImgBB (ibb.co)

P.S. I didn't want to edit downsize the pics, so they'd retain their size/quality, so I uploaded them at ImgBB. (Be sure to click to enlarge)

Edited by mooit
  • Like 1

My forum avatar is when I created her, in SSE Vanilla two years ago, it's an in game screen shot of her back then.

It's a big difference in how she looks in the forum avatar, compared to now... LOL :)

Edited by mooit