Skyrim SE | SKSE64 not working

Just got Skyrim SE and downloaded a few mods I had in mind. Everything was working just fine so I added more mods into the mix but some how a day later SKSE is longer works. I am using SKSE64 game version: 1.5.97 and it worked just fine for 1 day but somehow just stopped and now is going me Error 1 messages each time I load it up from Mod Organizer 2.

I tried downloading the Aniversary Edition for SKSE64 out of desperation but no luck. SkyUI doesn't even want to work anymore. Can someone help me out? I would like to play Skyrim with the mods but I cannot do that.

5 hours ago, z929669 said:

Sounds like Steam may have updated you game. Check the version of skyrim.exe (properties)

I just checked the file version right now and it says " File Version: 1.6.353.0 " and for previous versions it does not say anything, like there was no previous versions at all.

1 hour ago, Mocha said:

I just checked the file version right now and it says " File Version: 1.6.353.0 " and for previous versions it does not say anything, like there was no previous versions at all.

Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of the latest Skyrim Anniversay Edition. This means that you should update every mod to the latest AE versions and hope that the ones you want to use have indeed been updated to the latest AE. You mentioned you already downloaded the latest SKSE64 for AE, so that is indeed the right version to use.

Take a look at the new Step Guide 2.0.0 to see if your favorite mods are on that list, how to install things etc. Be warned though, the new STEP guide assumes you have the FULL version of AE (meaning: all the Creation Club addons). If you don't have this version, some patches will not work.

Edited by ButchDiavolo

16 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Congratulations, you are now the proud owner of the latest Skyrim Anniversay Edition. This means that you should update every mod to the latest AE versions and hope that the ones you want to use have indeed been updated to the latest AE. You mentioned you already downloaded the latest SKSE64 for AE, so that is indeed the right version to use.

Take a look at the new Step Guide 2.0.0 to see if your favorite mods are on that list, how to install things etc. Be warned though, the new STEP guide assumes you have the FULL version of AE (meaning: all the Creation Club addons). If you don't have this version, some patches will not work.

I do have a question, what if its both the special edition and anniversary edition? I bought it as a bundle. Do I still have to use mods for AE or can I use both?

1 hour ago, Mocha said:

I do have a question, what if its both the special edition and anniversary edition? I bought it as a bundle. Do I still have to use mods for AE or can I use both?

The major difference between SE and AE is that AE includes Creation Club mods and has updates to the game engine, which causes the incompatibility between the two versions. Once you have installed the bundle (=AE version), you can no longer use pre-AE mods that use SKSE or other so called extenders. Mods that don't use extra functionality, like cosmetic mods, are usually fine in either SE or AE version. Just read the description of the mods thoroughly. The difference in mod versions is usually explained by the SkyrimSE.exe version number: everything below 1.6.x.x is considered SE; everything above is AE. I hope this makes it a bit less confusing.

Edited by ButchDiavolo

2 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

The major difference between SE and AE is that AE includes Creation Club mods and has updates to the game engine, which causes the incompatibility between the two versions. Once you have installed the bundle (=AE version), you can no longer use pre-AE mods that use SKSE or other so called extenders. Mods that don't use extra functionality, like cosmetic mods, are usually fine in either SE or AE version. Just read the description of the mods thoroughly. The difference in mod versions is usually explained by the SkyrimSE.exe version number: everything below 1.6.x.x is considered SE; everything above is AE. I hope this makes it a bit less confusing.

This is a misnomer that was caused By Bethesda's sloppy rollout (undoubtedly to rebrand Skyrim as being all new). It's all SSE ... AE is just their brand name for 1.6.xxx with CC DLC. hopefully this will go away later this year.