Guide changes

alphaniner

I know there's a Changelog (at least for the SE 1.0.0 guide) but I'm curious why

1. The guide version number doesn't get updated even for changes worthy of mentioning in the "Post Release Changes" section of the Changelog.
  2. There's no way to see small changes that have been made to the guide. Even the Revision History page doesn't seem to show all changes. For example I know @z929669 made a change to something I pointed out an hour ago, but it's not shown in the history. I don't have a lot of experience working with wikis but I thought all changes were shown in logs like that.
Edited by alphaniner

3 hours ago, alphaniner said:

I know there's a Changelog (at least for the SE 1.0.0 guide) but I'm curious why

1. The guide version number doesn't get updated even for changes worthy of mentioning in the "Post Release Changes" section of the Changelog.
  2. There's no way to see small changes that have been made to the guide. Even the Revision History page doesn't seem to show all changes. For example I know @z929669 made a change to something I pointed out an hour ago, but it's not shown in the history. I don't have a lot of experience working with wikis but I thought all changes were shown in logs like that.

I never add changes to mod page instructions to the guide changelog ... arguably I should (Tech may shame me). But I don't. Too insignificant.

39 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I never add changes to mod page instructions to the guide changelog ... arguably I should (Tech may shame me). But I don't. Too insignificant.

I agree that things like what I've pointed out over the past few days are too insignificant for the Changelog. No question. Regarding the Changelog, I'm surprised that things that do warrant mentioning don't result in a version bump.

Regarding my second point, I just realized it's due to the way the wiki is organized. Changes to mod page instructions are only shown in the Revision History of the specific mod page.

Edited by alphaniner

2 hours ago, alphaniner said:

I agree that things like what I've pointed out over the past few days are too insignificant for the Changelog. No question. Regarding the Changelog, I'm surprised that things that do warrant mentioning don't result in a version bump.

Regarding my second point, I just realized it's due to the way the wiki is organized. Changes to mod page instructions are only shown in the Revision History of the specific mod page.

Correct. The changelog would show history only to direct edits to that.

Changes to pages when they would result in the user needing to change something on their end should ALWAYS be listed in the changelog. Just a simple "updated mod instructions" will do. If they're not listed, how are users to know to revisit the mods to update their installation for them??? Hm? :blink: Insignificant changes, like text, don't need to be listed.

I think Z just likes user support, whereas, I try to avoid creating it. Haha! :laugh:

53 minutes ago, TechAngel85 said:

Changes to pages when they would result in the user needing to change something on their end should ALWAYS be listed in the changelog. Just a simple "updated mod instructions" will do. If they're not listed, how are users to know to revisit the mods to update their installation for them??? Hm? :blink: Insignificant changes, like text, don't need to be listed.

I think Z just likes user support, whereas, I try to avoid creating it. Haha! :laugh:

I agree with this assertion, and sometimes I DO add such changes to the post-release changelog (did so just today with respect to 1.0.0 terrain gen, since we now have that in a mod and was redundant in the guide xLODGen 'preparation' section). Nevertheless, I sometimes skip changelog update for such instructions, albeit unintentionally :whistling: