Skyrim SE crash on startup with MO2

KanickelKanone

Question

Recently switched to Win10 after playing SkyrimSE with mods on MO2 and Nexus Mod Manager on Win 7.

Redownloaded all mods on MO2. When i try to start Skyrim SE or Skyrim SE script extender(skse64_loader.exe) through MO2(started as admin)-> crash on startup

I only see a black window almost fullscreen labeled "Skyrim Special Edition" before it dissapears. No error.

Crashing even with every mod disabled(In the plugins section)

Starting skyrim SE or Script extender through the folder works. I can even get in the game and check my SKSE version. Everything is fine. But obviously no mods are loaded.

I installed Skyrim on my F:\ and Mod Organizer on my C:\

SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\SKSE\SKSE.ini contains:

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
;EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Same goes for AppData\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\mods\SKSE64 Data\SKSE\SKSE.ini

As you can see i also added SKSE as a mod through MO2

I cleaned Update/Dawnguard/Hearthfires/Dragonborn.esm with the xEdit auto tool and manually removed a cell in a mod due to a error. The only warning in MO2 remaining is that there is Data in my Overwrite Path. Only the cleaned mod is inside aswell as a log from the AchievementsModEnabler mod is in the Overwrite Section.

Appdata\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\crashDumps is empty.

So what am i doing wrong? Any help is very appreciated :innocent:

Attached: Most recent log after crash from Appdata\Local\ModOrganizer\Skyrim Special Edition\logs 

usvfs-2021-09-19_16-34-51.log

5 answers to this question

So using a vanilla skyrim profile worked immediately.

Then i installed every mod you've shown exept Weather Selector/Scaleform/Regional Save Names/Skill Uncappe/Xbox Scheme and it still worked.

After that i added slowly step-by-step a few mods and test them ingame. So in the end all my mods worked and i could load my save again and play for about an hour without any crashes :) Idk why it didn't work in the first save though. Maybe because i didn't install some mods this time who i did in my first attempt(This time i only let mods appear in the plug in list that i will 100% use.)

Thank you very much for your help :celebration:

First off, you shouldn't run MO2 as admin, so you can reset that. Second, you must launch Skyrim from the Steam launcher before trying to do so with MO2. This establishes all of the registry settings and initializes the game. Read through our System Setup Guide to verify that you have completed all necessary steps to properly setting up your environment.

Thanks for your answer :)

I already started Skyrim through the Steam launcher. It makes no difference.

So i checked everything. Cleaned my Overwrite, adjusted some settings with BethINI(didn't know that existed). The guide says the directory:  C:\Users\{logged in user}\AppData\Local should not be used. But in the screenshots this directory stays for the mod location from MO2. Or is it only for installing MO2 itself? So can i just uninstall MO2 and install it in the new ..Games\Modding\Mod Organizer\  directory? Will everything i set up stay the same?

So far it's still crashing.

MO2 should be installed outside of any location under UAC authority, so as long as the program is installed this way, you are good. Using an 'instanced' install (recommended), MO2 will create resources and profiles in %LOCALAPPDATA%/ModOrganizer, so that's OK.

As instructed, set up a default vanilla Skyrim profile and ensure that you are able to launch the game via MO2 without any mods at all. Then install SKSE64 and see that you are able to use the SKSE launcher to launch via MO2 under the vanilla profile. Then you can try using your podded profile in the same way. If you crash, then you probably have something installed incorrectly or wrong version.

This process will rule out any issues with game, MO2, and SKSE64 installation. From there, you will need to disable all mods in your intended MO2 profile and ensure that it starts up fine. Simply enable mods in groups from extenders and foundation mods on up, until you find what's causing the crash. You can also look for crash logs under .Net Script Framework. The following are the foundational mod types that you should have installed at lowest priority that you want to ensure are working properly (you don't need the xBox controller mod or the Weather Selector mod, but the rest are pretty standard:

image.png

4 hours ago, KanickelKanone said:

So using a vanilla skyrim profile worked immediately.

Then i installed every mod you've shown exept Weather Selector/Scaleform/Regional Save Names/Skill Uncappe/Xbox Scheme and it still worked.

After that i added slowly step-by-step a few mods and test them ingame. So in the end all my mods worked and i could load my save again and play for about an hour without any crashes :) Idk why it didn't work in the first save though. Maybe because i didn't install some mods this time who i did in my first attempt(This time i only let mods appear in the plug in list that i will 100% use.)

Thank you very much for your help :celebration:

No problem. Glad it helped ;)