Ogg Vorbis Libraries (by KaneWright)

---START---

Discussion topic:

Ogg Vorbis Libraries by KaneWright

Wiki Link

So what does this do then? Well, I have taken upon the task to enlighten the profligates of the wastes (or, rather, shamelessly copy-paste other people's comments from Nexus):

Elflat 63 wrote:

Well, the question is what does it do for you? 

Without going into too much detail, Ogg Vorbis is a fully open, non-proprietary, patent-and-royalty-free, general-purpose compressed audio format for mid to high quality (8kHz-48.0kHz, 16+ bit, polyphonic) audio and music at fixed and variable bitrates from 16 to 128 kbps/channel. 

In other words it is an open source audio format. One in which fnv uses for most of it's audio files (all of them if you have not tinkered with it). What the libraries actually do in fNV's case is they are used to decompress and play back audio (unless you're making mods recording and converting audio to vorbis format you won't use that part of the libraries functionality) but as a player (user) you do need the libraries to play them back... just like you need mp3 libraries for an mp3 player, etc...  

So, if I have a library already why would I need a new one? Just as with any software, there are bug fixes and updates to libraries, issues like memory leaks, features which were not working correctly or inefficient decompression routines,etc... are corrected - replaced - that is the point of libraries handling  such things. It's no different than updating the drivers  for your PC's (or any devices) hardware like video or audio cards - you've not changed them but the software to handle them has improved. In one word  "Performance".