Far distant mountain LOD

Braxus

Question

Greetings. Still learning the basics about Dyndolod and reading the manuals, and was wondering if there is a LOD setting I should use for far distant mountains since I keep seeing ones that look bald and not detailed. 

I did try setting these values in the INI first I found on this site, which actually solved the problem but gave me a massive performance drop and occasional stuttering. 

fBlockMaximumDistance = 500000
fBlockLevel1Distance = 140000
fBlockLevel0Distance = 75000
fSplitDistanceMult = 4.0

So I'm wondering if there is a Dyndolod solution I must've missed. 

Thanks for any help!

5 answers to this question

DynDOLOD does not change how LOD or these settings work. As explained in the manual, typically the object LOD has three LOD levels 4, 8 and 16 and how far the highest levels shows is defined by fBlockMaximumDistance. From the manual:

[TerrainManager]
fTreeLoadDistance=distance for tree LOD
fBlockMaximumDistance=distance for object LOD level 16
fBlockLevel1Distance=distance for object LOD level 8
fBlockLevel0Distance=distance for object LOD level 4
fSplitDistanceMult=multiplier for landscape LOD levels

You have the right settings, just the wrong values. I can tell you right now that the majority of the stuttering is caused by the fact that fSplitDistanceMult is set to 4.0. A little understood fact is that this value is multiplied by the fBlock distances to set the terrain LOD values. Therefore, since 4 x 75000 = 300000, your highest quality terrain LOD is being pushed out about as far as the view cone. This causes massive stuttering in and of itself on most systems. 

If "mountains are bald," the main thing that is missing is object LOD, typically because the fBlock distances are too low. So to keep similar performance and similar terrain lod levels, you should decrease fSplitDistanceMult as you increase the fBlock distances. fBlockLevel0Distance is the most performance intensive and should probably never go above 100000. FBlockLevel1Distance and fBlockLevelMaximumDistance are more forgiving, so you can push these out, depending on your system, about as far as you like, but any farther than around 350000 is beyond the view cone. Please remember that increasing these settings too high is one of the biggest causes of stuttering, so try to be as conservative as you can. 

The easiest way to tweak these and see the results is to find a good location where you can look out and see a bunch of mountains and modify these settings in the DynDOLOD MCM menu, as you can see the change when you exit the menu. 

That all being said, I have been using the following for awhile. It's a little overkill, but it looks good. 

[TerrainManager]
fBlockLevel0Distance=95000
fBlockLevel1Distance=330000
fBlockMaximumDistance=350000
fSplitDistanceMult=1.5
Edited by DoubleYou
formatting

Thanks so much for the proper info. I'm also using Ultra Tree option in Dyndolod. Should I also alter the ftreeloaddistance setting higher than what it defaults to in the ini or does it matter that much and have a substantial performance impact?