tweaks not saved?

Hal900x

Question

Hello there,

First, just a quick note: forum link in the readme doesn't work, appears to direct to a non-existent page. Ok, now the questions: the ultra preset auto-selects vsync, is this intended? Second, the "recommended tweaks" button doesn't stay checked if you relaunch. I'm assuming this is not a problem, maybe that check box is a one-time thing, but it never hurts to check! I see other settings like actor fade are persistent, so I'm thinking everything is ok.

6 answers to this question

Great, that's reassuring. So perhaps while I'm here you could help me clarify another setting, as I'm trying to stamp out "micro-stutter", aka a nasty headache after 5 mins of play. So far I haven't gotten rid of it. I have OSR installed, but I use Oblivion Display Tweaks for the actual fix.

What exactly are the "Clamped" and FPS settings in your app? Again, this is me trying to be 100% clear. I'm guessing that FPS is Max FPS, and Clamped tries to force it to always run at that max, something like that? In the popup it says setting it to 60 (the default) effectively disabled it, but is that actually true, or is that popup from back when 60fps was the highest conceivable refresh/frame rate? 

Also, is 60fps some kind of magic number for Oblivion? I have my max fps set in OSR to my monitor's refresh rate (100) but maybe this is why I still have stutter. 

Don't use Clamped. It's there because you can use it, but you don't want to use it. In fact, I'm going to remove it from my next update, as it's an extremely advanced use case tweak that anybody using it should be knowledgeable enough to go find it in Custom.

FPS is for maximum framerate supported by game physics. Basically, if you have a framerate above 60 and you have your physics set to 60, items can just randomly fly all over the place. This however, can be ignored since you use Oblivion Display Tweaks.

Probably the only BethINI setting you should be interested in is Vsync aka iPresentInterval.

Do make sure you read the docs for ODT carefully. You might consider removing OSR altogether and seeing if that makes a difference. Are you using a Freesync/Gsync monitor? Make sure you have that setup properly if you are relying on it for removal of screen tearing.

In my experience, most stuttering/GFX/havok issues are related to vsync and FPS capping/not in relation to monitor refresh rate. This is compounded by the fact that you can have > 1 setting dictating these (display soft-settings, game INIs, display tweak mods, and ENB-related post-processing). The most complex of these are often the opaque driver soft-settings, which depend on your GPU software (which then has versioning dependencies on hardware and software).

My advice would be to turn all of these OFF and establish a baseline by loading up a reliable save. Then make singular changes to each of the multitude of settings and check against the same save game. My optimal settings came down to using my driver soft-settings for vsync and AA and and my display tweaks mod(s) for FPS limiters/caps. But every situation can be different.

To be clear, vsync is disabled everywhere, including my 3d driver, and clamped is not selected in Bethini. Nor is there any AA, ENB etc. and Freesync is also disabled in both the monitor OSD and my driver (it's a crap implementation in my cheap monoprice monitor). The FPS field in Bethini is already populated with 60, which is why I was wondering if that's some sort of hard cap for the engine. Display Tweaks has a iMaxFPSTolerance  setting that equates to max frame rate, which I have set to 160 which equates to 100fps according to it's docs. I

After that I'll prolly uninstall Engine Tweaks and try just OSR for the microstutter fix. 

I don't think any of the settings, mods etc are actually causing microstutter, they just aren't fixing it. IIRC every time I've played Oblivion it's there, on every computer. But ofc, proper troubleshooting does require a baseline, so if all else fails I'll start from scratch. Got a vanilla backup I can use to check.

Thanks folks.