How safely move MO2 "app data" from c: drive to F: (MO2 installed on F: drive)

ElanaReloaded

Question

My C: drive -- where win 10 resides, is red - lining. Win10 needs paging space.  Its gone.  Finally found why.  User/me/appdata/local/ModOrganizer  ... folders for each mod I installed via MO2.  I never wanted MO2 on c: drive.  It's why I installed new F: drive - just for MO2.  Now MO2 has gobbled over half the space on my OS drive.  I just finished installing Nolvus guide, manually.  Four days. 

>> Is there a safe way to successfully move the MO2 contents in appdata yada to the F: drive?  <<  I never intended anything but the OS to be on C:   That's why I installed MO2 on F: Now MO2 has taken C: drive over.  Help please....  Thank you.

4 answers to this question

All you have to do is first copy your Mods folder over to the "F" drive and maybe the downloads folder also.

Start MO and press the wrench and screw driver icon to open the settings dialog. In there there will be a paths tab, click on it to bring it forward. Look for the "Mods" option and go to the right to the three dots and press on them. The "Select Mods Directory"  file browser will open. From here you can navigate to the copied "Mods" folder on the "F" drive. Press the select folder to bring you back to the main window. Do this for the downloads if you moved it too. Click the OK button to close the the settings dialog. Restart MO.

When everything is working you can then delete the original "Mods" and "Downloads" folders

All you have to do is first copy your Mods folder over to the "F" drive and maybe the downloads folder also.

Start MO and press the wrench and screw driver icon to open the settings dialog. In there there will be a paths tab, click on it to bring it forward. Look for the "Mods" option and go to the right to the three dots and press on them. The "Select Mods Directory"  file browser will open. From here you can navigate to the copied "Mods" folder on the "F" drive. Press the select folder to bring you back to the main window. Do this for the downloads if you moved it too. Click the OK button to close the the settings dialog. Restart MO.

When everything is working you can then delete the original "Mods" and "Downloads" folders

Thank you for reply.  Appreciate your precise (and helpful) reply.  Wish I had read it sooner.  NEW situation.  I spent 3 days moving mods up and down left pane- yada.  Finally, Uninstalled MO to get rid of all the already installed mods.  Creating a new profile, unfortunately, carries over all the mods, even in not checked.  No way to start fresh.  I installed MO2 again.  However, I could not figure out how to change the data path so the virtual archives are NOT on c: drive.  C: way too small - is why I had to move MO2 the first time.  >> How change "data" path off of C; drive (to F:drive)?  <<  :)  :)  :)

Mod Organizer has two mods: Instance and Portable.

If you are using Instance mode (the default), your downloads, profiles, and mods folder are stored in %LocalAppData% (usually C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\ModOrganizer). I think you can change the default locations by clicking the Screwdriver/Wrench icon and changing the Base Directory path at the top. If you change this one setting, Downloads, Mods, Caches, Profiles and Overwrite are stored within this folder as well. The advantage with Instance mode is that you can click the button at the top-left to switch to any of the supported Bethesda games (say from Skyrim Special Edition to Fallout 4).

If you are using Portable mode, all folders (Downloads, Mods, Caches, Profiles and Overwrite) are stored within the Mod Organizer folder (e.g. F:\Modding\ModOrganizer\Downloads, F:\Modding\ModOrganizer\Mods, etc.). The disadvantage with portable mode is that you must install a new copy of Mod Organizer if you want to use it for both Skyrim Special Edition and Fallout 4.

It sounds as if you are using Instance mode, so just change the Base Directory path to a folder on the F: drive.