Wrye Bash... then what?!

KnowChillx

Question

MCM is bugging out and won't save my preferences now that I've recently breach the 255 LO limit. I looked up toots on Bash Patches and installed Wrye. After many videos, pictorial pdfs, and the main webpage readme for WB I can't find a toot on what the next steps are after successfully creating a bash patch. Do I manually deactivate the merged mods? What if I install new ones, do I rebuild the same patch or make another one and put it beneath the first in the load order? I wish I knew what to do. I can hear my synapsis popping.

4 answers to this question

A Bashed patch does not merge mod, it is a conflict solution patch and leveled list patch.

To merge mods you need Merge Plugins

Before looking into merging mods, check if some of your .esp can be flaged .esl (light plugins that do not cout towards the limit).

It can be made with xEdit. There is a script for xEdit to run that will tell you what mods in your load order that is safe to flag .esl.

There definitely used to be a sort of merge mods functionality in WB. As far as I know, they dropped it once the ESL tech rolled out.

But seriously, I dropped WB in favour of MO2 and never looked back. The whole virtual file system bit is phenomenal (compass to WB's terrible waiting times whenever you tweak your BAIN modules).

• +1 1

I echo elenhil. WB is great for certain things, but MO has tackled the all-in-one mod management solution better than any of the competition. Anyone who disagrees is either being stubborn or considering the things WB is very good at (e.g., bashed patch, and certain config edits). I recommend WB as a helper app to MO though, but we don't advise that in our guides, since it isn't necessary.

MO will provide all info needed for ESL flags and allow you to easily do that in the app. you can merge plugins as mentioned outside of these apps and just load those according to the LOOT rules I assume you will set.

On 2/2/2021 at 4:35 AM, z929669 said:

I echo elenhil. WB is great for certain things, but MO has tackled the all-in-one mod management solution better than any of the competition. Anyone who disagrees is either being stubborn or considering the things WB is very good at (e.g., bashed patch, and certain config edits). I recommend WB as a helper app to MO though, but we don't advise that in our guides, since it isn't necessary.

MO will provide all info needed for ESL flags and allow you to easily do that in the app. you can merge plugins as mentioned outside of these apps and just load those according to the LOOT rules I assume you will set.

I see thank you!