Non-Essential Children with Inventory Tweaks (by Team Mystery and kryptopyr)

stoppingby4now

• 2 weeks later...

This mod (version 9) comes with a BSA, however the BSA is not needed. It only contains three script source files, it does not contain the compiled scripts.

scripts\source\qf_da08_0004a37b.psc

scripts\source\qf_db01_0001ea50.psc

scripts\source\qf_t01_00023b6c.psc

PSC files (which aren't listed on the Mod Filetypes and Directories tab for Guide: Skyrim Installation) are uncompiled scripts, and are not read by the game.

This mod (version 9) comes with a BSA, however the BSA is not needed. It only contains three script source files, it does not contain the compiled scripts.

scripts\source\qf_da08_0004a37b.psc

scripts\source\qf_db01_0001ea50.psc

scripts\source\qf_t01_00023b6c.psc

PSC files (which aren't listed on the Mod Filetypes and Directories tab for Guide: Skyrim Installation) are uncompiled scripts, and are not read by the game.

I actually saw this and it confused the heck out of me. I'm getting close to this mod again in my guide and will take a closer look at that point.

It could be that the mod requires the compiled scripts, and if that is the case, then as provided by the mod author it is currently not working correctly.

After this mod is cleaned all the quest records are gone. I believe the scripts are just leftovers the author forgot to remove.

Editing the script will not necessarily alter the quest record, though. Someone should probably confirm this in game. After looking at the scripts, I suspect that the mod is not working as it should. These are not simply the vanilla scripts, they contain added lines that set the children to non-essential after the quest related to them has been completed.

qf_da08_0004a37b.psc = sets Nelkir to unessential

qf_db01_0001ea50.psc = sets Aventus to unessential

qf_t01_00023b6c.psc = sets Fjotra to unessential

It's possible the author found another way to do this that didn't require editing the scripts. It's also possible that they included the source files when they meant to include the compiled scripts. If the scripts aren't required for this mod to work, then the patch I made for The Choice is Yours isn't necessary either.

Editing the script will not necessarily alter the quest record, though. Someone should probably confirm this in game. After looking at the scripts, I suspect that the mod is not working as it should. These are not simply the vanilla scripts, they contain added lines that set the children to non-essential after the quest related to them has been completed.

qf_da08_0004a37b.psc = sets Nelkir to unessential

qf_db01_0001ea50.psc = sets Aventus to unessential

qf_t01_00023b6c.psc = sets Fjotra to unessential

It's possible the author found another way to do this that didn't require editing the scripts. It's also possible that they included the source files when they meant to include the compiled scripts. If the scripts aren't required for this mod to work, then the patch I made for The Choice is Yours isn't necessary either.

It actually looks like the author used to have scripts in there (probably V8 or whatever) then in V9 tried to remove them but did a piss poor job of it. The author is gone though so hard to tell. In any case as far as I can tell after cleaning V9 those 3 kids are set essential forever and are never set un-essential. Which doesn't break the game but at the same time defeats the mods purpose in relation to those 3 kids at least (minor issue).

I think the USKP makes edits to at least some of those quest scripts as well, not sure what exactly is in those though.

You're right, USKP includes qf_da08_0004a37b and qf_t01_00023b6c. I'll take a closer look at the scripts sometime this week and see what USKP changes. It should be easy enough to include the corrections from USKP and recompile the scripts. The author has granted permission to update and make changes to the mod. Given some of the comments, I'm wondering if other aspects of the mod might also need to be updated for Hearthfire (and possibly Dragonborn).

You're right' date=' USKP includes qf_da08_0004a37b and qf_t01_00023b6c. I'll take a closer look at the scripts sometime this week and see what USKP changes. It should be easy enough to include the corrections from USKP and recompile the scripts. The author has granted permission to update and make changes to the mod. Given some of the comments, I'm wondering if other aspects of the mod might also need to be updated for Hearthfire (and possibly Dragonborn).[/quote']

Possible, I know he changed the smaller beds to be used by kids (you can see it in the edits)... not sure if new kid style beds were added in HF/DB, etc.

I'll proablly go and see what I can do to resurrect and fix the mod. I mean, the author gave permission to fix it, and it's immersion breaking to have a city being attacked by dragons/vampires/natural disasters/Godzilla and the only survivors are the children.

Totally 100% agree... plus Braith in Whiterun needs to die. Just sayin.

I have most of the mod updated already. Still working on a Hearthfire update, though.

Nice! Can't wait to see it.

Here you go: https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32450

One of the things that I changed was the way the essential status was handled for the quest-related children. I flagged the quest alias essential rather than altering the base actor. This means that some of the original script changes weren't necessary. The compatibility patch for The Choice is Yours is also no longer needed.

I'm curious what you guys think about the inventory adjustments. If you feel that it diverges too much from the original mod, then I can create a Hearthfire version without the inventory tweaks pretty easily. When I started adding the Hearthfire compatibility, I decided it would be nice if the new toys would also show up in the inventories of vanilla children, but the toys didn't seem appropriate for all children...one idea led to another, and I ended up completely redoing the leveled lists for children's inventories. All inventory changes are done through new leveled lists and quest aliases. I didn't alter any of the actual NPCs.