Sharkanoh

SKSE "Won't load properly or is being overwritten"

Question

I load SKSE in MO2. I'm able to get to the main screen, but whenever I try to actually play SkyUI Error 7 pops up and says SKSE isn't load properly or is being overwritten. After that dialogue comes up the game crashes. I've tried multiple ways to fix it, but it just isn't working.

8 answers to this question

How are you installing SKSE, and do you have any mods that may be touching those files somehow?

I put SKSE in the S:SE folder, like the installation says. Along with my ENB stuff. It was working fine with NMM but as soon as I transferred to MO2 it just wouldn't work.

Including the script files? I've seen most people installing the script files as a mod through MO2, leaving only the DLL files in the main Skyrim directory.

I have both the .exe and the .dll files in the main Skyrim directory. Do I need to put them in the MO2 directory as well?

This is how I do it...

* Download SKSE and ensure SKSE is compatible with the version of Skyrim Special Edition you currently have installed.

* Right click on the SKSE file you download, click Properties, click Unblock, and click OK.

* Extract skse*.dll, skse64_loader.exe, and skse64_steam_loader.dll to the Skyrim Special Edition folder.

* In Mod Organizer, install mod, select the SKSE file you downloaded, and install it as a mod. This installs the Scripts folder in Mod Organizer.

* In Mod Organizer, add a new executable for skse64_loader.exe and name it something like SKSE.

You might also verify that ModOrganizer.exe isn't blocked if you are on Windows 10 because Windows 10 and antivirus software may block the virtual file system. Also verify all installed plugins that require SKSE are compatible with the version of SKSE you have installed.

I didn't realize I needed to install it as a mod, but even after that it still isn't working. SKSE is up to date, as well as the mods that require it. It's also not being blocked.

Have you tried running SKSE from a pure vanilla profile without any other mods activated? You can do this fairly easily by creating a new empty profile and running skse_loader.exe from this new profile. Assuming this works fine, you may either slowly rebuild the profile you want to use or deactivate the mods in your existing profile in chunks (say 5 or 10 at a time) to narrow down which mod(s) are causing the issue.

Hey sorry for the long wait. I ran it as vanilla and I tested the mods in chunks. It runs fine but I notice that Race Menu and SKYUI aren't working. I assume it's something to do with either SKSE or maybe the mods themselves but everything is up to date.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By sheson
      DynDOLOD DLL beta for Skyrim, Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR
      So far all versions of DynDOLOD use the SKSE plugin PapyrusUtil for the optional dynamic LOD in the game. Starting with version 2.45 there is now the alternative DynDOLOD DLL available.
      The current DLL version is 2.45. It works with dynamic LOD generated by DynDOLOD Standalone 2.45 and newer.
      Read the ..DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD_DLL.html included in DynDOLOD Standalone for an explanation about DynDOLOD DLL, installation instructions (overwrite papyrus scripts of DynDOLOD Resources) and how it works.
      If there are problems with it, check DynDOLOD_DLL.html and the DynDOLOD FAQ first before posting.
      If a DynDOLOD.DLL version is required for a game version that is not listed below, request it in this thread. First, search this thread if it has been requested already, though. The future will tell how long it takes to release updates.
      Typically a new DynDOLOD.DLL is required for each new game version, but not each new SKSE version. For example a DynDOLOD.DLL compiled with SKSE64 2.0.9 also works with SKSE64 2.0.10 for the same game version.
      Nexus Downloads for DynDOLOD 2.45 and higher
      DynDOLOD DLL for Skyrim
      DynDOLOD DLL SE for Skyrim Special Edition
      DynDOLOD DLL VR for Skyrim VR
      Mega Mirrors:
      DynDOLOD.DLL + Scripts for Skyrim 1.9.32 (overwrite the papyrus scripts included in DynDOLOD Resources)
      DynDOLOD Scripts for Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR (overwrite the papyrus scripts included in DynDOLOD Resources SE)
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.39
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.50
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.53
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.62
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.73
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.80
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim Special Edition 1.5.97
      DynDOLOD.DLL for Skyrim VR 1.4.15
    • By qwrtui1245
      Hi, 
      I'm modding SkyrimSE with MO2 by following this version of the step guide: https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:1.0.0#04-Foundation. I've followed everything until now but experience problems with the first mod I need to install without using Nexus. It's Skyrim SE particle patch for ENB and I downloaded 'SPECIAL EDITION > ALL-IN-ONE INSTALLATION > LATEST VERSION (GOOGLE DRIVE)'. It's installation went fine (Situation A) but when I have to enable the optional ESP 'Particle Patch for ENB SSE.esp' I get the message 'Plugin not found: Particle Patch for ENB SSE.esp' in my log (Situation B). 
      I've tried: reinstalling the mod, refreshing, enabling and disabling the mod, restarting MO2, re-downloading the file. It doesn't fix my problem. I've added the pictures of situation A and B. I hope there are people who can help me here. Thanks so much in advance!
      Situation A

Situation B

• By Newtant
      Hello!

I've stumbled upon a weird issue that I haven't encountered or read about before. I'm running Windows 8.1 and a fresh install of Fallout New Vegas with no mods so far. I'm trying to get Mod Organizer and the 4GB exe to work together, but despite following all of the advice, tips and workarounds it's still not happening. Right now I can launch the 4GB exe through Mod Organizer. The game starts, I can load a save and 'play'. The problem is that all of the text has disappeared or is invisible. I can only navigate the main menu by memory, the ingame popups regarding the DLC is missing the text as well.

This issue does not happen if I start the game on its own with the normal exe.
      This issue does not happen if I start the 4GB exe on its own.

It only happens if I start the either the normal or the 4GB exe through Mod Organizer.

NVSE is being loaded, it doesn't matter if I'm using NVSE stable or beta.
      I'm using NVAC, without it the game crashes before arriving at the main menu. NVAC seems to be working, the log is showing several handled errors. (Pastebin)
      Yes, I've added '-laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe' to the launch arguments, that helped me get around the access is denied error but produced this text error.
      I did try compatability modes, I've tried starting MO, the 4GB or both as administrator. No dice.

I've arrived at a point where I really don't know what it could be or what I could try next. One thing I do know, however, is that I can't go back to the pre-MO modding, so I'm turning to you helpful people and hope that someone here has an idea.

Thanks in advance!

Pictures:
      New Vegas installation folder
      Mod Organizer executable settings
      Disappeared text main menu #1
      Disappeared text main menu #2
      Disappeared text ingame

Edit:

I deleted all of the fallout .inis as well in case some of my text/font settings were messed up, but that didn't work either.