MO 2, Wrye Bash and Skyrim LE

Edorion

Question

I'm having a problem when trying to build a bash patch, Wrye Bash is hanging right at the end. Win7 x64 Pro, I've set MO and Wrye as admin and set exceptions in Malwarebytes. Loot is much less crashy than in MO1 and I haven't had any problems doing test launches with skse and ENBoost. I'm not sure what to look for so any help would be gratefully accepted. My Mod list on https://modwat.ch/u/karfixer/plugins I've clean the masters per the Gamer Poets vids. Thanks, Steve

12 answers to this question

Post your ModOrganizer.ini (erase your username and password from this), mo_interface.log and your usvfs-xxxx.log from the MO2 logs folder. It would be a good idea to first erase all the logs in the logs folder and then run the programs to generate new ones.

Also MO2 should be installed in a folder of its own, C:\Mod Organizer or c:\MO2, or something similar. It should not be in the games folder or in the Windows programs folder.

It is important to note that when you run MO as admin you also run the scripted fomod installers as admin as well as skse and the game, including your enb, which is a dll, and skse plugins.

If any of these items have a bug or have malicious code in them they can cause a lot more damage to your system than if you ran as a restricted user.

Running as an admin means you are blindly trusting the people involved in making all these mods and tools to be trustworthy and not make any mistakes in their code.

Thanks for that info, MO2 is on it's own drive right now, the security settings have been elevated for testing. I'd take a minor exception to the term"blindly". If these widely distributed programs were compromised there would be posting about it all over the modding community. Still with the Spectre/Meltdown revelations how secure can anything be? Like most people IT security isn't my profession, so I keep my OS updated and my AV/Malware updated, don't click on e-mail links and don't use cracked software. Still I'm always willing to learn. I'll erase those logs and give it a go and re-post the results.

No worries.  The issue that I was having with Wrye Bash seems to have cleared up  :confusion: . The only change in my process was to build a TES5 Merge patch, then the Bash Patch. I don't know if that is a solution, but it's working for now. If the problem re-occurs I'll get the logs and post them, Thanks  :cool:

One other note, Wrye Bash is putting the Bashed Patch directly into the Skyrim/Data folder, even though I am running it through MO2. If I start it outside of MO2 none of my mods show up in the WB load order. 

I just discussed this briefly with @AL12 on discord and would like you report this as a bug on Github please. To report the issue you'll need to to delete everything in the ModOrganizer/Logs folder (e.g. delete all the old logs) go into settings (in Mod Organizer) and change Log Level to Debug (in the Diagnostics tab). Remove or hide your existing bashed patch to reproduce the issue when it doesn't exist, and then create the bashed patch from scratch. Finally upload all the files in the ModOrganizer\logs folder to github.

I'll give it a go tonight after work, looks like someone else is having the same issue. 

I suspect I am that someone. I have MO2 installed. WB is configured to be started from within MO. It seems to run fine.... but won't actually complete the bashed patch. I did notice that it seemed to be trying to write to the game's actual data folder instead of outputting to the overwrite folder.

In my thread Akatosh suggested that I needed to make sure my temp and tmp directories were on the same drive as MO and WB. I tried that... and broke the universe. None of my apps know where their data is. So I may need to go google-fu that particular headache before I can continue. But I, too, am around and trying to get these tools to work together.

PS - I'm not sure that I attached these files correctly. O.o I suppose we'll see...

ModOrganizer.ini

mo_interface.log.txt

usvfs-2018-05-24_01-12-49.log.txt

It looks as if you have Mod Organizer installed in the Fallout 4 folder and this is known to cause problems. I don't know if this the root of all your issues, but I do know it may cause UVFS to not find files correctly. I don't remember if this may cause Mod Organizer to mistakenly write files to the game folder, though.

It also looks as if you either have a typo in the TMP and/or TEMP environment variables or this folder doesn't exist. Both of these environment variables should be set to something like "C:\Temp" (without the quotes).

Aye, my installation of MO may need to be scrapped. I made a mistake at some point that put it into FO4 instead of just the D drive and by the time I caught it, MO was already managing quite a few mods. It's probably fairly straightforward to simply move everything around and tell the different apps where the various paths are but.... err... I'm not knowledgable enough to be entirely confident and, as of this moment, MO2 is managing three games that I have active saves in. So I'm procrastinating.

As for the tmp typos I'm sure that I just did that. I'll move them to the D drive tomorrow. (C is an SSD that I >try< to reserve for my OS in order to save it from some wear and tear).

Once again, Dragonborn, thank you for the helpful advice and attention.
Cheers

Don't nuke your MO install!!

Install a fresh copy of MO and copy your profiles folders, ModOrganizer.ini and depending on where your mods and downloads are those also to the new install. I always set my mods, profiles and downloads to a different drive, but it can be a different folder also. As long as the paths to the other tools did not change, copying the ModOrganizer.ini will point to them if they did then you only have to go into the executable settings and set them again.