Fatal: Could Not Open Registry Key?

DOHstep2013

Question

I am getting an error with TES5EDIT. I have initialized it, waiting until the intro was completed just to be sure. I have never encounter any issues with the program previously, but it's been a while since I played Skyrim and I'm wondering if I forgot to do something.

The image below is what I'm seeing when I run the .exe regardless of location on my PC.

Any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

11 answers to this question

Thank you for respoding hishutup.

I have tried your suggestion numerous times and it has not resolved the issue. I also tried a total uninstall, removing all traces of the game, and upon re-installing the problem persists.

This is now occurring on a 100% freshly installed Vanilla game. All the other Skyrim tools and the game itself are working without incident. I am using version TES5Edit 3.2-25859-3-2.

Thank you again for your assistance.

HMvvG1.png

More to the point is why does the later version see the registry key when you were having issues before?

That makes absolutely no sense, there were no code changes between those versions that are anyway related to that function.

Are you sure you started the game launcher? Was there a system reboot in between these attempts?

Thank you The antipodean.

I have not start this new installation with anything but the Skyrim launcher. That's all I've ever used. I have rebooted numerous times during this process. This is really odd. I have been modding the game for years and I've never experienced anything like this. I am glad to have you help. Thank you.

All the variants of xEdit are the same, just named differently to be used on various games. FO4Edit == TES5Edit == SSEdit == FO3Edit etc.

The later versions should have no bearing on the matter as I stated earlier, the changes in them will not include any code that references the registry.

If the version of xEdit you linked to works, sure, use that. I currently am still using 3.2 and seeing no issues so there is something odd with your setup that is creating that error.