Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

zEdit v0.3.0 (when I've used it) would randomly go to a white screen.  mator posted in the ZEdit Discord channel that "... the "white screen bug" can happen for lots of different reasons". Elsewhere he said that one possible cause was "... the white screen is when an uncaught exception causes the chrome webdriver to crash". That's why DarkladyLexy recommends zEdit v0.2.0 be used (for now).

So it is a bug then.  Thank you Decopauge.  As I stated previously 0.2.0 will not work on my system, it won't even load up my load order.  Guess I will just have to do without zEdit.

Just wanted to chime in; I'm having exactly the same problem as Kneph13 was having. zEdit doesn't seem to see the VFS so can only see the vanilla game ESMs.

LOOT, SSEEdit and all the other tools work fine. zEdit is installed in exactly the same way but does not. I've tried the recommended 0.2.0 version and also updating to the latest 0.3.0 version but both produce the same result.

Any ideas?

I'm still using zEdit v0.2.0, and I've never had an issue with it (any version) not displaying MO2's VFS.    The zEdit Github page may have information that will help you.  You can get support for Zedit by joining the Modding Tools discord server.

Hey guys! Has anyone tried Palaces and Castles Enhanced SSE (PCE) with LOTD? I've never tried it before but it looks like a fantastic improvement to the butt-ugly vanilla palaces. Following of LOTD's mods won't be (fully) compatible with PCE, according to the compatibility guide in the mod's page:

Faction Crossbows Partly Compatible
Note: The crafting book for the custom crossbow may not be retrievable due to
the changes made to the Palace of the Kings and Castle Dour.

Skyrim Unique Treasures Partly Compatible

Note: Some unique items maybe unobtainable or oddly-placed in Dragonsreach,
Mistveil Keep, Blue Palace, Understone Keep, and Palace of the Kings.

Even Better Quests Objectives - Partly Compatible
Note: Please load Palaces and Castles Enhanced AFTER Even Better Quests Objectives. If you load them in the right order, there shouldn't be any compatibility issue.

Quest Markers for Barenziah Stones - Incompatible

Note: Palaces and Castles Enhanced edits the quest "No Stones Unturned". Any mods that edit the same quest will be incompatible.
I don't recommend any of the mods on Nexus that make Barenziah Stones traceable as every one of them is pretty old.
Alternatively, you can download "PCE Add-On: Marked and Droppable Barenziah Stones" that enables you to find those stones a lot easier and even allows you to drop them and store them in containers!

Snazzy Furniture and Paintings - Incompatible

Note: There will not be a patch for this mod for the time being. If you wish
to use Snazzy Furniture mod, make sure to turn off the esp and use its
meshes and textures only.

I think it would work if the last two mods are dealt with, although I am too scared to deviate from LOTD as I am pretty new to modding. Help?

Edited by Vaedron

I'm still using zEdit v0.2.0, and I've never had an issue with it (any version) not displaying MO2's VFS.    The zEdit Github page may have information that will help you.  You can get support for Zedit by joining the Modding Tools discord server.

Did a bit of further testing and found zEdit isn't the only thing affected - the game itself (i.e. SKSE) can't see the VFS either!

Had a chat with Mator and we have tied it down to MO2 not extending the VFS to child processes on my system for some bizarre reason. So things like SSEEdit and LOOT which are just single processes work fine, but zEdit (which binds a dll) and SKSE (skse_loader calls skyrim) don't work. I've further tested it by loading cmd.exe from within MO2, I can CD into my game directory and I see the VFS fine. But if I then launch a second cmd.exe from within the first, the 2nd one can't see the VFS.

I've posted on the MO2 discord but basically I'm stuck unless one of the MO2 gurus can figure it out.

Did a bit of further testing and found zEdit isn't the only thing affected - the game itself (i.e. SKSE) can't see the VFS either!

Had a chat with Mator and we have tied it down to MO2 not extending the VFS to child processes on my system for some bizarre reason. So things like SSEEdit and LOOT which are just single processes work fine, but zEdit (which binds a dll) and SKSE (skse_loader calls skyrim) don't work. I've further tested it by loading cmd.exe from within MO2, I can CD into my game directory and I see the VFS fine. But if I then launch a second cmd.exe from within the first, the 2nd one can't see the VFS.

I've posted on the MO2 discord but basically I'm stuck unless one of the MO2 gurus can figure it out.

what Version of MO2 are you using?

have you tried back-tracking I have the verison from the Nexus page not updated to the latest DEV Build yet and I have no issues with the MO2' VFS.

Yeah I've tried switching back and forth between 2.1.2 and the dev build and I get the same results. Definitely a really strange one.

Yeah I've tried switching back and forth between 2.1.2 and the dev build and I get the same results. Definitely a really strange one.

well best consult with the MO2 Dev Team. Know some people have been having issues cos MO2 is placed in the wrong folder I sorry can't help much since i don't have that issuse.

well best consult with the MO2 Dev Team. Know some people have been having issues cos MO2 is placed in the wrong folder I sorry can't help much since i don't have that issuse.

No worries - thanks Lexy. And thanks for the guide :)

Hey guys! Has anyone tried Palaces and Castles Enhanced SSE (PCE) with LOTD? I've never tried it before but it looks like a fantastic improvement to the butt-ugly vanilla palaces. Following of LOTD's mods won't be (fully) compatible with PCE, according to the compatibility guide in the mod's page:

Faction Crossbows Partly Compatible

Note: The crafting book for the custom crossbow may not be retrievable due to

the changes made to the Palace of the Kings and Castle Dour.

Skyrim Unique Treasures Partly Compatible

Note: Some unique items maybe unobtainable or oddly-placed in Dragonsreach,

Mistveil Keep, Blue Palace, Understone Keep, and Palace of the Kings.

Even Better Quests Objectives - Partly Compatible

Note: Please load Palaces and Castles Enhanced AFTER Even Better Quests Objectives. If you load them in the right order, there shouldn't be any compatibility issue.

Note: Palaces and Castles Enhanced edits the quest "No Stones Unturned". Any mods that edit the same quest will be incompatible.

I don't recommend any of the mods on Nexus that make Barenziah Stones traceable as every one of them is pretty old.

Alternatively, you can download "PCE Add-On: Marked and Droppable Barenziah Stones" that enables you to find those stones a lot easier and even allows you to drop them and store them in containers!

Snazzy Furniture and Paintings - Incompatible

Note: There will not be a patch for this mod for the time being. If you wish

to use Snazzy Furniture mod, make sure to turn off the esp and use its

meshes and textures only.

I think it would work if the last two mods are dealt with, although I am too scared to deviate from LOTD as I am pretty new to modding. Help?

I use it, without flaws so far, but it's not a straightforward process to install and make work. I do still consider it a work in progress. Here's what I recommend:

1 - Read Sette's description page and the compatibility article thoroughly. You probably already did as you pasted a relevant excerpt but read the inconspicuous first couple of paragraphs at the top of the description page, as they'll help you troubleshoot problems later. In particular, it's critical that you don't load PCE onto an existing savegame. Always start a new game after installing PCE, otherwise you'll get misplaced objects that you'll never find any other reason for. If you do this, and the following, you should be ok.

2 - Load order. I set a couple of rules in LOOT to load Palaces and Castles Enhanced.esp after Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp and after Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp. You should verify this against your specific load order and see if there's anything else that needs to be overridden.

3 - Patches. I ported from classic skyrim's PCE Community Patches the patches for SFCO, Skyrim Unique Treasures, Bad Gremlins' Something Fishy and Royal Armoury. Most work out of the box after conversion (usual NIF opt, convert esp in CK procedure) but Bad Gremlins' also had to be made compatible with the merged esp that we use in this list. I redirected the master in Wrye Bash from the original (missing) esp to BGCollectables.esp and verified in xEdit for broken records. I don't remember if I had any but if you do find broken records, I suggest this: fetch the original Something Fishy esp, load it in xEdit with BGCollectables.esp and the already changed PCE patch. Check the patch for errors. Compare the broken records with corresponding records in Something Fishy.esp (change the first two digits of the broken formid to match the index for Something Fishy in that xEdit session, type that in the top left rectangle in xEdit (formID) and search, it should find something. Take note of the record id (sort of "title" that displays after the id) and find the corresponding record in BGCollectables.esp. Copy that record's id and replace the broken record in the patch esp. Do this for all broken records, exit only saving PCE - BGSF.esp (the patch). As I said, don't remember if I had to do all this but it a generic procedure for when you have to restore compatibility with, for example, an updated mod that changed stuff. Verify all ported patches

3a - Other patches: download and install all the relevant patches available in the SSE Palaces and Castles Enhanced Page. The patch for ICAIO is for the previous version 0.3.9a and it shows a few broken records when used with the current version 0.4a. These are deleted AI packages that the previous version had already tagged for deletion. My take was to remove each of these in the patch, which show as missing/broken records. Load the patch in xEdit, check for errors, go to the forms that show errors and remove only the broken references in each one. Save and exit.

4 - Merge patches. There are three patch files that contain navmesh edits. If you add all three to the same merge, you'll have broken navmesh. So I merged everything except the Skyrim Sewers and the USSEP + CRF patches. If you read Sette's spoiler on the first sticky comment, about patch load order, you'll understand why those two and not the PCE - Immersive Citizens patch which also contains navmesh. If you merge one esp containing navmesh with others that don't contain navmesh, you're ok. I set a few rules in loot: PCE Skyrim Sewers patch load after PCE - USSEP + CRF patch and PCE Patches Merged (my merge) load after PCE Skyrim Sewers patch. That way you preserve Sette's load order for patches.

5 - Even before merging, you'll want to tour all the palaces and look for misplaced stuff. I only found one floating painting in the Blue Palace, put there by Snazzy Furniture and Clutter, so I checked its reference id ingame with the console, loaded PCE - SFCO patch.esp in xEdit, looked up the reference id in the MASTER Snazzy Furniture and Clutter Overhaul.esp, copied it as overwrite into the patch, flagged it "initially disabled" and changed the z position to -30000.000000. Do this for any other misplaced objects if you thing they aren't needed. If they're important, you may also change their position without disabling them, but that is really a drag to do in xEdit and I don't bother doing it in the CK. Haven't found any, after loading all the patches. After you think you got them all, merge the patches. Here's my merged plugin list:

PCE - Immersive Citizens AI Overhaul Patch.esp

PCE - ELFX PATCH.esp
PCE - SFCO Patch.esp
PCE - 3DNPC Patch.esp
PCE - Marked Droppable Barenziah Stones.esp
PCE - Legacy of the Dragonborn Patch.esp
PCE - SUT Patch.esp
PCE - BGSF Patch.esp
PCE - Live Another Life Patch.esp
PCE - Royal Armory Patch.esp

As I said, this works flawlessly and the combination of Palaces and Castles, ICAIO and 3DNPC's is amazing. Palaces look really lively now. But I do consider it a work in progress as I haven't had time to test it extensively in a playthrough for other conflicts. You can always tweak things. One thing I did was to make its interior cells compatible with ELE. They should be compatible with ELFX via patch, but ELE loads towards last in my load order so its cell definitions override PCE's. I have a personal CR plugin for custom edits and I set it to carry ELE's lighting and imagespaces and PCE's palace music. This is a minor detail, you can perfectly well do without PCE music, I don't even notice the difference, but you can do the same procedure for any conflicts you find.
  • +1 1

I forgot to mention this, I do use the alternative add-on instead of the one in the guide. Straightforward replacement and it can be merged with the rest of the patches. Also note in my previous post (spoiler list) the PCE - Legacy of the Dragonborn Patch.esp that is provided by Legacy's patch installer.

As for faction crossbows, I suppose it would be easy to make a patch to place the book somewhere else but I don't really care and if I do need the manual, I think I'll just use "console magic".

Edited by godescalcus
  • +1 1