Skyrim Gaming Time

TechAngel85

So I'm just curious on this... How much time does the STEP team (admins, mod testers, wiki editors, etc) actually get (or take) to actually play Skyrim for the enjoyment of the game and not just for testing purposes?

I, personally, since joining the team as a Wiki Editor have only played Skyrim once or twice for my own enjoyment. The rest of the time I am editing, comparing mods, testing mods, confirming/disconfirming issues, creating new wiki content, replying on the forums, out in real life (ew :sick: ), etc etc etc.

I've put about 70 hours into actually playing across two characters, one a straight up Warrior and the other a Battle Mage. I've never finished the Dark Brotherhood, Civil War, or main quest lines and I haven't scrapped most of the cities for quests either. Just after STEP v2.2.0 is when I finally beat the Thieves Guild chain. A lot of my playtime was on my first character (the Warrior) just exploring the map. I took off from Whiterun and just went South discovering, exploring, and pillaging every map marker and little crevice or cave I could find, and that was really fun. I've been meaning to start a new character, probably an archer/sneaky guy, but I never got around to it.

There was a great Bethesda panel at Quakecon right after Skyrim came out where someone went up just to thank the developers for sacrificing that awesome feeling of being dropped in a new TES game for the first time so that the rest of the world could enjoy it, and this question reminded me of that.  Those guys poor endless hours into these games building the world so that they know where everything is.  That really ruins any sense of wonder or thrill of adventure when jumping into the "finished" product.  It seems like the same thing happens to a lot of modders; where they go fixated on modding that it starts to take priority over the game itself.  I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily as that's a lot more interesting to some people, it's just something that you need to pay attention to when making decisions about how the game should look or play.

I've played through the whole game only once (I didn't complete all quests...but I did finish the main story). Since I came back to Skyrim from that first play-through about a year ago is when I got into STEP. Since then I've only played as far as meeting the Graybeards for the first time plus a lot of exploring. Lol!

I don't want to play through until modding has reached the point of epic pur portions. My general rule is to not buy a TES title until one year post release but I broke it for Skyrim. I think I met the grey beards once and explored and fought a lot of random enemies... plus a few of the bigger side quests (thanks Alternate Start) for testing.

Same as the consensus. Very little time playing the game much past the first several quests; although, my first char made it to a little while past the civil war.

Waiting until I am satisfied with the mod lineup and the quality-stability/performance peaks on my system. (i.e., when STEP is pretty much stable and flying more on autopilot).

I played about 80 hours when it was first released before realizing how bland the vanilla game is. After discovering STEP mid-2012 I played another 40 hours or so modded before stopping again because I thought a new version of RCRN was coming out soon that would fix some annoying bugs I was experiencing. Little did I know I'd be waiting ~4 months!

I have 200 hours logged in Skyrim according to Steam, so I've spent ~80 hours just messing around with mods. I have a pretty big backlog of games at the moment, but I still plan on actually finishing the game at some point.

I just play skyrim to test mod-related things, or vanilla settings, bugfixes.

I've just played the game for my enjoyement for 10-12 hours the day it was relesed, but i made sure to create STEP before even installing it (at that time, the mod name was "ini tweaks").

Now i'm waiting STEP to be perfect and complete in order to actually fully enjoy Skyrim, which will probably never happen since it's and will be always evolving (same happened for oblivion, lol).

I've just played the game for my enjoyement for 10-12 hours the day it was relesed, but i made sure to create STEP before even installing it (at that time, the mod name was "ini tweaks").

Your baby is growing up, eh?

Now i'm waiting STEP to be perfect and complete in order to actually fully enjoy Skyrim, which will probably never happen since it's and will be always evolving (same happened for oblivion, lol).

Same :lol:

Lol, my baby has been adopted by many parents now and it's getting an astonishing parental care :P

Lol, my baby has been adopted by many parents now and it's getting an astonishing parental care :P
Hmmm...wonder if I can claim STEP as a dependent on my taxes. :P

Hmmm...wonder if I can claim STEP as a dependent on my taxes. :P

Where's the "Like" button? :happy: