Do you apply bash tags to the dlcs?

Van555

Question

Hey guys, have a couple of questions on the Bash Tags

I placed the Generate Bash Tag Script content into the xEdit script folder.  When I'm in xEdit, does it matter which plugin I right click on to select apply script?

If I need to run the script on selected plugins, could you let me know which ones you recommend.  I am currently seeing issues with the textures on the bodies and faces when they are not matching in colour as reported in another thread

When I run the XEdit Script "Generate Tags for Wrye Bash", I get an error that it cannot find the file mtefunctions.pas.

Do I just go to 

https://github.com/matortheeternal/TES5EditScripts/blob/master/Edit%20Scripts/mteFunctions.pas

and save the content there as a text file with the content in the xEdit script directory?

Edited by mcshame

Go to Matoreternal TES5EditScripts and download the TES5EditScripts-master.zip file by selecting the "Download zip" button on the upper right. This has all of Mator's very useful scripts. Extract the contents into the folder used for the xEdit executable. You will then have all of Mator's scripts as of the time the zip file was created. If you prefer, install only the mtefunctions.pas script, but I recommend installing all of them.

This will be added to the guide.

The script adds "{{BASH:Actors.ACBS,Actors.AIPackages,C.Water,Delev,Factions,Graphics,Names,Relev,Stats}}" to the SNAM subrecord in the File Header record for BrokenSteel.esm. It will add "{{BASH:Names}}" to the headers for the Anchorage, ThePitt, and Zeta esm plugins. When you are using Wrye Flash highlight one of these plugins and look at the tags in the lower right part of the Wrye Flash window. You should see these tags in the tags subwindow.

For the users of the Fallout 3 guide who are also experienced with using Wrye Flash to create the bashed patch and xEdit to examine plugins it would be useful to go through the plugins in the guide, use the script, and then check whether the tag additions make sense. I'll do this and report as I have time.

I decided to give the Generate Tags for Wrye Bash script a try. So firstly I did what the author suggests here https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1517172-xedit-generate-bash-tags-for-fo3-fnv-tes4-and-tes5/  and also checked what each tag means from Wrye Bash/Flash doc. I run the script in many plugins (one at a time) and checked the results carefully and so far it seems that the script detects and applies the correct tags. Although I notice some things like:

• It detects tags for the Broken Steel esm. Additionally it detects the Names tag for the Point Lookout esm but it doesn't detect it for the other DLCs, in contrary with what you are saying (@Kelmych). I also run it twice to be sure.
  • YearlingBooks.esp has only "Dialog Topic" records, no "Script" record at all but LOOT suggests the Scripts tag while the GTWB script doesn't detect (correctly I assume) the Scripts tag. What should we do in this case?
  • Another example is with the HeirApparent.esp that has the "Scripts" tag from LOOT but only adds new scripts and doesn't modify any existing ones, and the GTWB removes (correctly I assume again) the Scripts tag. Is this OK?
  • For the Blackened patch it detects many tags (20+), something that seems normal to me as the Blackened plugin combines records from multiple plugins. Although, is it safe to leave the added tags for the patch plugins like this and the TWPC ones?

Finally I have some questions:

Should we run the GTWB script for plugins with the NoMerge tag (currently only the schematics esp has it), since these plugins aren't included in the Bashed patch.

Does anyone knows what the "Deflst" tag means, I guess something like Default lists but most probably I am wrong.. I also think that this particular tag isn't handled by the script.

@Kelmych

When you say to not let other than Fallout 3 Redesigned plugins, add tags that include the word Body, do you mean all 4 tags: Body-M/F and Body-Size-M/F ? Because currently the first two tags (Body-M/F) are added only in FO3R. The Body-Size-M is added in the MMM mod as well as in the combined Blackened plugin. Should I remove them?

Thanks in advance

I ran the script again on the individual plugins. I didn't get the same result so I must have had more than one plugin loaded. The correct tags are the "{{BASH:Names}}" for PointLookout and for BrokenSteel: "{{BASH:Actors.ACBS,Actors.AIPackages,C.Water,Delev,Factions,Graphics,Relev,Stats}}"

The other DLC plugins don't need tags.

You can't run the script on a bunch of plugins at once. It will detect lots of tags that aren't supposed to applied which defeats of the purpose of the tagging system all together. 

What I meant with this "I run the script in many plugins (one at a time)..." is that I tested multiple plugins thoroughly, in the way the author describes but not all of them (I didn't have that much time). Although I run the script loading only one plugin at a time.. However, I did this, selecting only one plugin each time.. I would not call myself an experienced modder yet but I'm no novice either.. Sorry if my English isn't very good, it's not my native language..

I ran the script again on the individual plugins. I didn't get the same result so I must have had more than one plugin loaded. The correct tags are the "{{BASH:Names}}" for PointLookout and for BrokenSteel: "{{BASH:Actors.ACBS,Actors.AIPackages,C.Water,Delev,Factions,Graphics,Relev,Stats}}"

The other DLC plugins don't need tags.

OK then, I thought I have done something wrong myself.

Any thoughts for the other things in the rest of my post?

Edit: tried to improve my poor English ::D:

Edited by nameerf

I decided to give the Generate Tags for Wrye Bash script a try. So firstly I did what the author suggests here https://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1517172-xedit-generate-bash-tags-for-fo3-fnv-tes4-and-tes5/  and also checked what each tag means from Wrye Bash/Flash doc. I run the script in many plugins (one at a time) and checked the results carefully and so far it seems that the script detects and applies the correct tags. Although I notice some things like:

• It detects tags for the Broken Steel esm. Additionally it detects the Names tag for the Point Lookout esm but it doesn't detect it for the other DLCs, in contrary with what you are saying (@Kelmych). I also run it twice to be sure.
  • YearlingBooks.esp has only "Dialog Topic" records, no "Script" record at all but LOOT suggests the Scripts tag while the GTWB script doesn't detect (correctly I assume) the Scripts tag. What should we do in this case?

In this case LOOT must be wrong; the inputs the LOOT team received must have had an error. Use the results of GTWB

• Another example is with the HeirApparent.esp that has the "Scripts" tag from LOOT but only adds new scripts and doesn't modify any existing ones, and the GTWB removes (correctly I assume again) the Scripts tag. Is this OK?

Seems like GTWB is right again.

• For the Blackened patch it detects many tags (20+), something that seems normal to me as the Blackened plugin combines records from multiple plugins. Although, is it safe to leave the added tags for the patch plugins like this and the TWPC ones?

Blackened is a compatibility patch and should have tags for the objects that it wants to be included in the bashed patch.

Finally I have some questions:

Should we run the GTWB script for plugins with the NoMerge tag (currently only the schematics esp has it), since these plugins aren't included in the Bashed patch.

No value in doing so

Does anyone knows what the "Deflst" tag means, I guess something like Default lists but most probably I am wrong.. I also think that this particular tag isn't handled by the script.

Deflst is like a Delev tag for levelled lists. You find some mention of it on the STEP forums somewhere including the Fallout NV guide threads

@Kelmych

When you say to not let other than Fallout 3 Redesigned plugins, add tags that include the word Body, do you mean all 4 tags: Body-M/F and Body-Size-M/F ? Because currently the first two tags (Body-M/F) are added only in FO3R. The Body-Size-M is added in the MMM mod as well as in the combined Blackened plugin. Should I remove them?

I was providing general guidance to be careful about having body-related bash tags (e.g., Body-x, Hair, Eyes, NPCFaces, and some of the other NPC tags that affect the body) on mods that shouldn't be overriding Project Beauty. Blackened is fine since it is a compatibility mod that includes Project Beauty, and mods included in the Blackened patch are fine since presumably Blackened takes care of any compatibility problems. It doesn't mean other mods should also have the tags, just make sure it makes sense.

An example: The plugin Scout Outfits.esp from the Type 3 and BFM outfits mod gets the NPCFaces bash tag from GTWB since it changes faces. Look in FO3Edit at Non-Player Character objects in Scout Outfits.esp. This mod overrides the changes to Jenny Stahl's face that Project Beauty makes. If Scout Outfits has the NPCFaces tag then the bashed patch will include the changes to the face from Scout Outfits. This plugin should not get the NPCFaces tag even though it changes faces; it should lose the conflicts to the better and more consistent faces from Project Beauty.

Thanks in advance

OK Kelmych, thanks for the detailed response.

Two last questions about the GTWB script.

1. As it seems, the script is very solid. So if it's being used with caution (check the proposed tags etc.) ιs it recommended/OK to run it on all plugins in the guide?

2. Is there any other example/category in the guide, similar to the Project Beauty one, where a mod makes some changes and has the proper tags while there are other mods which change the same things with the previous mod and must not have the same tags because will override the changes from the desired mod? (I hope you understand what I mean)