A better understanding of ENB

Bytor

Question

I've been doing a lot of testing to try and get my game running at peak performance while using a(forgot the name) a performance friendly(Shader) ENB and I just want to clarify if it's running correctly.  When I shift/F12 to toggle on off, would you expect to my FPS to increase or decrease when the ENB is turned on?  Also, when I start up the game, is the ENB on by default or do I toggle in game?  I say this because on start-up game runs at about 30 FPS and is more blurred and bright.  After shift/F12, FPS boosts to 60 roughly and game becomes dark before much sharper in image.  I've disable hi-res texture packs and using the vanilla(performace version of the ENB as opposed the pure version-both have 3 options)  Does this make any sense?

5 answers to this question

Since you are adding more post processing, you will always expect a drop in performance when you enable ENB. It is on by default once you start up the game. 

The visuals you describe are normal. Since there is new post processing in play, and some of the effects are dynamic in nature you can expect to see some blur and tone change as the effects settle in. 

Hope that helps. 

It's still active as that is a seperate feature entirely, the UseEffect only turns off the graphical portion of ENBSeries.

Unless Boris have made something that would allow such deactivation without adding a bunch of, in my eyes and ears, unnecessary code into the binary file to allow such use. At least from what I can remember from my testing it appeared to function like that.

But why would you want to run ENBSeries with the graphics option active, only to have the graphics option deactivated through the in-game menu? Which isn't entirely the same thing as having the UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics set to true.

Edited by JawZ

To answer your question JawZ, I was just trying to figure which setting was using the ENB.  I'm clearly miffed as to why my game looks so much better with the ENB off.  My settings must be out of whack I guess.  Anyway, thank you both for the replay.  I have more testing ideas for tonight. 

I'm using skyrim enhanced shaders and using the vanilla performance version I've decided the trade off isn't worth the FPS.  I loaded the Pure(slow) option and can really see the difference.  Looks great, but it may be too laggy around the major slow down areas. 

I only posted my results because often when I'm searching a topic and some solves their own issue, they do not explain how or why and it turns out being a dead end. 

Anyway, waiting on a friend to help me install a new graphics card so things are on the up.

thank you for your time.

Edited by Bytor

I'm not really sure what exactly the problem is. But maybe this helps:

Some things ENB does are not related to the enbseries.ini settings, some things are done via the shader files (.fx) directly. The dx9 dll will cost render time even without any effects because it will start intercepting API calls creating overhead. That's how the dll has to work.