Sign in to follow this  
Sirlancelot2011

Is it still necessary to change the date on .BSA files before installing any mods? (Steam version of the game)

Question

Well, I think the title of the post is self-explanatory. Is Mod Organizer able to work around the .BSAs issue?

---STEAM USERS: CHANGING THE DATES ON .BSA FILES BEFORE INSTALLING ANY MODS---

This is related to the above section, and is also very, very important!!!. The Steam version of Oblivion has, in it's data files folder, .bsa files (files that contain data such as texture and meshes for the vanilla game) that are dated around summer 2010, because that's when Oblivion was added to Steam. This will cause problems with your archive invalidation. So before you install any mods, open OBMM, go to utilities -> archive invalidation and press "reset .bsa timestamps". This will set the "last changed" date on ALL YOUR .BSA FILES to 01/01/2006, similar to the original release of the game. The reason you're doing this BEFORE installing any mods is that if you have .bsa files in the data files folder that belong to mods, the dates on these files will also be set to 2006. You do not want this! If you do it accidentally, simply download a program such as File Date Changer to change the dates back to a later date.

That's basically it for the Steam version, it's otherwise fully compatible with all mods (except the slightly different install procedure for OBSE which is detailed in its readme).

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405321

2 answers to this question

If you continue to use MO with the Steam version of Oblivion be aware there may be some issues that you will need to face.

Recently two users have been posting about the inability to use ANY OBSE plugins, or even the OBSE itself, with the Steam version of Oblivion.

There is a current bug report open in MO's issue tracker and your observations would be appreciated. I have the retail disc version and cannot replicate any of the issues that may arise so the more users that can, is for the better.

As for your question. All my *.bsa files are dated to 31/12/2005 so yes, back-date your files.

If you continue to use MO with the Steam version of Oblivion be aware there may be some issues that you will need to face.

Recently two users have been posting about the inability to use ANY OBSE plugins, or even the OBSE itself, with the Steam version of Oblivion.

There is a current bug report open in MO's issue tracker and your observations would be appreciated. I have the retail disc version and cannot replicate any of the issues that may arise so the more users that can, is for the better.

As for your question. All my *.bsa files are dated to 31/12/2005 so yes, back-date your files.

Thanks for your quick and kind answer. For now I'm afraid I'm leaving MO behind, Oblivion current modding scene doesn't seem that adapted to it yet and I'm pretty much a "newbie".