Paid mods are now available on the workshop

CJ2311

Well that illustrates the main issue with this whole deal. 

Bethesda and valve did not develop the tools. It was not them who made additional animations possible, it was not them who solved memory issues, extensions to havok etc. etc. etc. 

All of the developers who did this can at any time go and cause issues, and would most likely win in just about all western courts. 

Fairly certain there are plenty of cases of precedence where a 3rd party have developed software solutions that other products used (even indirectly) without paying royalties. If not then we can be sure it will happen if this is the model they decide to move forward with. 

Another thing I find kinda funny is that while the CK EULA states that it is effectively bethesda that owns anything created using it... then stuff like textures and meshes do not require you to fire up the CK at all.. so they do not have any claim on that sort of modding. But again stealing in the texture department is going to run rampart if there is no QA to look it over at least a little bit, since that would be the "easiest" way to make a lot of entries on a market place. 

Which would most likely also mean an explosion of individual assets rather than compilations of textures... 

I have big doubts about what the "community" believes in, because right now it seems to say "we DESERVE everything free, we want it right now, and even if we get everything we want you still suxx blablabla".

I really like what mardoxx said: "

It doesn't apply to everyone, but it sure as hell looks like it's the way it is. Especially if you regularly read Nexus forums for at least two months time.

There are always self entitled pricks, doesn't matter where you are. There are far more good people out there, and they don't always want to be known. Perhaps I'm seeing the bright side because I only associate with those who aren't ******s, and ignore those who are.

• +1 5

False DCMAs are pretty common.

Even so, kind of a big deal, isn't it? Isoku is a reliable and rock-solid mod author. How murky is this going to get when less reputable modders sell mods and other people forget to cross their t's and dot their i's on assets they might end up using from other mods?

Imho, the real problem with this is not mods moving behind a paywall. The real problem is all the content ripping that will be going on. SKSE, SkyUI and FINIS are fairly easy to see the use of. But many people providing models textures etc. will be driven away.

• +1 1

Already been some genius banned at Nexus for posting the 5.0 version of SkyUI... I really don't think that was ever going to work.

SkyUI is not even on Steam yet. I don't get it.

edit: The Mardoxx guy is plain stupid. He constantly keeps trolling all the raging mases on reddit. WHY??

Edited by Octopuss
  • +1 1

Imho, the real problem with this is not mods moving behind a paywall. The real problem is all the content ripping that will be going on. SKSE, SkyUI and FINIS are fairly easy to see the use of. But many people providing models textures etc. will be driven away.

This. I've already come across forums and torrents and stuff for all the pay-for mods. And I can't tell you how many people are getting upvotes on reddit for promoting piracy (not just downloading pay-for mods, but actually copying mods outright and presenting them as new mods). It's terrible. 

SkyUI is not even on Steam yet. I don't get it.

edit: The Mardoxx guy is plain stupid. He constantly keeps trolling all the raging mases on reddit. WHY??

A little bird tells me there was a leaked copy getting passed around that bastion of good taste and nicety, 4chan. 

I'm know I'm in the minority here, and I hope that it doesn't mean that I won't be welcomed among the forums anymore (STEP has always been the most polished, professional group of helpful individuals I've found in the Skyrim world. I've learned a lot just lurking in the background, and whenever I've had an issue, there's always been someone willing to lend a hand). But I really don't mind the "paywall." Perhaps I'm naïve, (or just a bit optimistic) but I don't see that it's going to destroy modding as we know it. It seems to me more like a few unfounded rumors of economic collapse causing wide-spread panic that ultimately leads to economic collapse in a sort of self-fulfilling prophesy.

Sure, there are issues that will need to be resolved. Sure, there are tons of "What if..." and "But it could lead to...." and "How do we handle..." that are going to need to be addressed, Yes, there are going to be silly people posting silly mods that aren't worth buying and trying to cash in. I can't help but feel that the market will sort all of those things out, given time. Besides, the Nexus has had it's share of growing pains and challenges as well over the years.

If anything is going to destroy modding as we know it, I think it's much more likely to be the level of knee-jerk, violent, panic-laden rhetoric being tossed about by many of those who oppose the idea. (Please note - one of the things I love about these forums is absolute lack of that sort of that sort of rhetoric!) I just can't believe that people can turn so rabidly on those who just a week ago were practically heroes to many of us. People who have given us so much, who have created things that impact our games so significantly that I, for one, can hardly imagine playing without them. Skyrim wouldn't be Skyrim as I know it without the contributions of Arthmoor, and kryptopyr, brumbek and missjennabee, the SkyUI team and mannyg, Kris Takahashi and chesko and isoku and Neovalen and too many others to even try to name - many of whom frequent these very forums.

It saddens me to think that in the minds of some people, all of the countless hours of dedication, inspiration and perspiration they've lovingly provided are suddenly swept away because a few of them had the audacity to think they might actually be able to make a few extra dollars on the side doing something they love. Brumbek's recent video , silly though it may seem, indicates that he'd given up modding, but the potential to earn some money has brought him back to the table.

The SkyUI team say they were done, too, because the time constraints involved were just not worth the impact on their personal time - until the possibility of earning some money changed the equation for them as well. And yet, even though they haven't taken anything away from the community that I can see, and even though they promised that the changes to SkyUI 5 wouldn't negatively affect MCM or in other ways compel users to purchase the mod - you'd have thought they'd broke into our houses and stolen our children in the middle of the night! Chesko's policy of exclusivity for a limited time on Steam before being freely offered on the Nexus wasn't enough to save him from the angry mobs willing to trash his years of contribution and burn him in effigy for having committed some sort of unspeakable sin.

And it does seem to be working. If my understanding and calculations are correct, Laask's Purity mod on Steam has earned him around $765 so far. Isoku's mods have earned him nearly $200 and that's assuming that, human nature being what it is, every purchaser paid the least amount possible ($.99) rather than the suggested amount. And that's also in the midst of a community-wide firestorm of vitriol. Who knows how much he'd have earned for himself if there hadn't been all the negative brouhaha.

I will probably purchase SkuUI 5.0 when it's released. And, when the dust has settled, I'll doubtless purchase whatever else I can afford from people who have given me so much of their time and talents over the years.

Truthfully, the saddest part of all of this for me, is how often I've overlooked the Donate button on the Nexus. I guess I was always afraid that what little I could afford would seem insulting to the authors - like leaving a paltry tip for a waitress who did such a marvelous job. :o(

• +1 3