ENBoost and SKSE

Carnage2k4

Question

Can some one please get me up to speed on ENBoost and SKSE, I'm using the latest version of SKSE (1.7.1) and I have been lead to beleive it includes the fixes that ENBoost is also suppost to do, is this true?

I'm using a 2x 3G 7970 crossfire rig, and using ENB mods will crash Skyrim no matter what I do (injected and wrapped)(it's always crashed, I'v tried many many times and have never had an ENB work past the first loading screen), I'm not giving up a card just for an ENB mod, but I would like to be able to make use of the mem fixes.

I'm not seeing anyhitng about all this in the STEP guide, so I'm a little confused on the entire issue, If I'm using SKSE 1.7.1 can I just ignore ENBoost altogether? Do I still require an ENB to make use of the SKSE version of the fix (if there is one included)?

Edited by Carnage2k4

3 answers to this question

ENBoost rips out the mirrored texture cache from TESV.exe and moves it to its own executable (ENBoost.exe)

The memory tweaks that are part of SKSE change 2 different blocks in the TESV.exe

It accepted to call them Blocks 1 and Blocks 2.

Here is my post on the sizes.

Here is keith's amazing posts 1 and 2

Can some one please get me up to speed on ENBoost and SKSE, I'm using the latest version of SKSE (1.7.1) and I have been lead to beleive it includes the fixes that ENBoost is also suppost to do, is this true?

1.7.1 isn't the latest anymore, there is only one function in ENBoost that causes a crash at startup with specific memory settings for skse memory tweaks. If you want to know what then take a look at the posts above.

I'm using a 2x 3G 7970 crossfire rig, and using ENB mods will crash Skyrim no matter what I do (injected and wrapped)(it's always crashed, I'v tried many many times and have never had an ENB work past the first loading screen), I'm not giving up a card just for an ENB mod, but I would like to be able to make use of the mem fixes.

Its probably incorrectly set up or something else that is fixable. Take a look at keith's and my post.

I'm not seeing anyhitng about all this in the STEP guide, so I'm a little confused on the entire issue, If I'm using SKSE 1.7.1 can I just ignore ENBoost altogether? Do I still require an ENB to make use of the SKSE version of the fix (if there is one included)?

You need both ENBoost and the memory tweaks because they do different things.

ENBoost rips out the mirrored texture cache from TESV.exe and moves it to its own executable (ENBoost.exe)

The memory tweaks that are part of SKSE change 2 different blocks in the TESV.exe

It accepted to call them Blocks 1 and Blocks 2.

Here is my post on the sizes.

Here is keith's amazing posts 1 and 2

Well, my Memory log looks fine in reference to your linked post, 512MB & 256MB (BLK 1 & 2) and 215 on block 1 was the highest it's gone so far in testing.

I have tried all manner of settings and such with ENB's ove the years, the CTD happens when I load into the world. One of my issues is weather I count 6G (3x2) for Vram, or just 3G alone...

After setting up as per STEP the only red text I get is "PATCH SPEEDHACK ENBoost turned on in enblocal.ini, graphic modification disabled." I'v tried many settings in enblocal.ini.. but nothing changes.

So, nothing in the posts you have linked seems to be of any help...

It always seems that if the file "d3d9.dll" is at any time located in my skyrim folder the game will CTD when the world space loads up...

Hmmm, ok, I was able to get it to freeze instead of CTD, and the error "bfloatpointrendertarget=1 is not set in skyrimprefs.ini" was just readable, I changed that and dropped VideoMemorySizeMb=10000 from 11967 (6G Vram + 8G RAM - 2024) and for the 1st time ever the game laoded with an ENB running...

Edited by Carnage2k4

Sounds like you have failed to setup the enblocal.ini properly, as well as your skyrimprefs.ini file. 

For your enblocal.ini try this under MEMORY

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=8192
EnableCompression=true
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

There is not really any point in going above 8Gb, since the game wont really be able to cope with much more then that anyways, and remain stable. 
Also ofc. make sure you have all of the directX files, as well as a few versions of various drivers to try out. Especially for AMD it is almost never certain that the latest will function the best... or at all. When dealing with ENB that is. 

Finally... you only ever count the memory on one card in a multi card setup. All data is mirrored in both cards. 

hope that helps