ILS when fast travelling to Whiterun

Paes

Question

Hi all,

I'm a Skyrim modding noob (so try to be patient with me) and have recently followed the STEP 2.2.9 instructions and have used the extended patch.

Problem

The symptoms I am experiencing seems to correspond to what is described as an "ILS". On fast travel, the loading screen just sits there and plays music, but never completes. If I RDP to my machine from another location, I can't access the desktop, and it seems like there is infinite processing occurring. The only solution is to reboot my PC.

Hardware

CPU: i7 920

RAM: 24GB

GPU: ASUS 290x

Software

Mod Organizer

TES5Edit

SKSE

Loot

Wyrebash

I'm not really sure how to go about diagnosing this, so this is where I could use some help. I would love to get this resolved because the STEP results have been exceptional so far. Aside from this issue, the game looks incredible and is close to a perfect gaming experience for me.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Paes

I'm not sure I understand all the confusion.. If you followed the instruction in the STEP 2.2.9 guide to the letter, your SKSE and Memory Patch 3.0 is installed. Since it is both a simple and fast procedure, the best thing you can do is remove SKSE and reinstall it, following STEP 2.2.9.

Even the part about file extensions is explained there...

I feel as though I did follow the 2.2.9 SKSE instructions to the letter. These are the one I followed:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

Obviously, something went wrong, but if I knew what it was, I wouldn't be asking for help ::):.

I think we are close to resolving this. The current issue is that I followed GunerX's advice to install MemoryBlocksLog. The purpose was to monitor the memory block utilization in the log file. I was able to locate the log file in the "Overwrite" area of MO, however I see that the first block continually caps at 256MB, which is not the expected result. If I understood correctly, the utilization should have be somewhere between 256-512MB.

It doesn't seem like SKSE is acknowledging the skse.ini file. Here are the current data paths:

Location of SKSI.INI = TSEV Skyrim LEModOrganizermodsskse 1 07 01

Location of Plugins = TSEV Skyrim LEDataSKSEPlugins

Thoughts?

Double check the ini file. The way SKSE does the memory block change is...."unique"...it needs to say this EXACTLY

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

The Default size is set to 768, this is a little missleading so some people change this value to 512. DONT.

I dont know why/how but the way SKSE does it is the DefaultHeap size MINUS the scrapheap size = total size.

aka: 768-256=512

If you have changed this you need to change it back.

If you have not changed this and it still isnt working...then I'm not sure what the issue is. Just keep working with it.

-edit-

and just to help you out a little, here is exactly how mine looks inside MO and mine works.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by GunerX

These are my "trees"(I don't use a program to show the actual trees, but just read the toolbar).

This is the folder that appears when I rightclick "skse 1 07 01" and click "Open in explorer" in Mod Organizer.

Posted Image

This is the SKSE folder with the SKSE.ini

Posted Image

Edited by Halde

According to the STEP 2.2.9 instructions, there shouldn't be one.

• Right-click the SKSE mod in Mod Organizer and select Open in explorer.
  • Open the SKSE folder or create one if one does not exist.
  • In the SKSE folder, create skse.ini and paste inside it the following:

https://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender#Recommendations

Edited by Halde

I don't have them.

Doesn't Safety Load and Sheson's patch do the exact same thing? Allocate memory? It seems counterproductive to have two different sources fight to accomplish the same thing.

And Memory Blocks Log only tells you what the "DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=" should be. I just have mine on 768, which is recommended by the STEP Staff, whom I trust:)

Edited by Halde

Alright, I'm stuck. I think we've been able to clearly diagnose the problem: Skyrim memory is being allocated in 256MB blocks, despite the SKSE.INI having been set to 768.

I've used the MemoryBlockDump plugin to confirm that this is true. I just don't know the reason why the .ini settings are not being acknowledged.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Then you should have asked for further clarification.

In believe you add in the bit DoubleYou is talking about here...

Posted Image

I tried making that change and it didn't work.

I found this thread: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1352936-ssme-skyrim-startup-memory-editor/page-136

... seems like some other people have had this same issue and have work around the issue by using something called SSME. I will give that a shot when I have some time.

Have you considered UAC as causing a problem? If you re-installed Skyrim when you began using STEP, there were instructions to install Skyrim outside of the "program files(x86)" folder so you can circumvent UAC, so I am curious if you did this? If not then you might need to run programs as an administrative level to prevent UAC from causing an issue with launching modded Skyrim, UAC can block those .dll plugins from hooking into the game. But, the problem with running as admin, is MO would have to be as well, but if you do that, and your browser is not set as admin level which is normal, MO will pop errors, cause that cannot be allowed, so your browser would then as well have to be set as admin, which I would not recommend. 

On the contrary, if the above isn't necessarily the case for you, are you running any of the programs with a mixed security level? I.e, you have TESV.exe setup to run as admin, but you don't have skse_loader.exe as admin, or vice-versa. Thought I'd throw my two cents in. Something to think about, maybe it'll help.