ILS when fast travelling to Whiterun

Paes

Question

Hi all,

I'm a Skyrim modding noob (so try to be patient with me) and have recently followed the STEP 2.2.9 instructions and have used the extended patch.

Problem

The symptoms I am experiencing seems to correspond to what is described as an "ILS". On fast travel, the loading screen just sits there and plays music, but never completes. If I RDP to my machine from another location, I can't access the desktop, and it seems like there is infinite processing occurring. The only solution is to reboot my PC.

Hardware

CPU: i7 920

RAM: 24GB

GPU: ASUS 290x

Software

Mod Organizer

TES5Edit

SKSE

Loot

Wyrebash

I'm not really sure how to go about diagnosing this, so this is where I could use some help. I would love to get this resolved because the STEP results have been exceptional so far. Aside from this issue, the game looks incredible and is close to a perfect gaming experience for me.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Paes

Have you considered UAC as causing a problem? If you re-installed Skyrim when you began using STEP, there were instructions to install Skyrim outside of the "program files(x86)" folder so you can circumvent UAC, so I am curious if you did this? If not then you might need to run programs as an administrative level to prevent UAC from causing an issue with launching modded Skyrim, UAC can block those .dll plugins from hooking into the game. But, the problem with running as admin, is MO would have to be as well, but if you do that, and your browser is not set as admin level which is normal, MO will pop errors, cause that cannot be allowed, so your browser would then as well have to be set as admin, which I would not recommend. 

On the contrary, if the above isn't necessarily the case for you, are you running any of the programs with a mixed security level? I.e, you have TESV.exe setup to run as admin, but you don't have skse_loader.exe as admin, or vice-versa. Thought I'd throw my two cents in. Something to think about, maybe it'll help.

Thanks for the suggestion. UAC is turned off, and was not enabled when I installed Skyrim, so I don't think it is a factor.

It looks like the problem is resolved.

Installing SSME results in the proper allocation of memory, confirmed by MemoryBlocksLog. A huge thank you to GunerX for suggesting the MemoryBlocksLog mod, which resulted in a proper diagnosis and methodology for confirming a solution.

I'm not quite clear on why the SKSE.INI does not function properly, but since other people seem to have had this exact same problem with SKSE, and have resolved it by using SSME, there is at least a possibility that there is an issue with SKSE.

Anyways, I am going to do some in game testing tonight and will post the results.

Edited by Paes

It looks like the problem is resolved.

Installing SSME results in the proper allocation of memory, confirmed by MemoryBlocksLog. A huge thank you to GunerX for suggesting the MemoryBlocksLog mod, which resulted in a proper diagnosis and methodology for confirming a solution.

I'm not quite clear on why the SKSE.INI does not function properly, but since other people seem to have had this exact same problem with SKSE, and have resolved it by using SSME, there is at least a possibility that there is an issue with SKSE.

Anyways, I am going to do some in game testing tonight and will post the results.

Glad to hear you got this working.

Im not sure why your SKSE.ini is not working properly. Mine works with no trouble at all. I also used SSME before I knew that SKSE had its own built in memory block plugin. Removed SSME, SKSE.ini still works for me. I usually get to around 308 on the high side, havnt really found a place that will get it to go higher (maybe someone knows of a good spot to test it?).

Is SAFETYLOAD working for you now?

Glad to hear you got this working.

Im not sure why your SKSE.ini is not working properly. Mine works with no trouble at all. I also used SSME before I knew that SKSE had its own built in memory block plugin. Removed SSME, SKSE.ini still works for me. I usually get to around 308 on the high side, havnt really found a place that will get it to go higher (maybe someone knows of a good spot to test it?).

Is SAFETYLOAD working for you now?

No, I removed it, since it didn't seem to be doing anything. I am going to leave things the way they are right now because it looks like everything is stable.

I played for a few hours last night and did a bunch of fast travel tests, and never had a freeze or ILS, so I am marking this issue as solved. Thanks again for helping me through this.