LOOT crashes when run through Mod Organizer

Oreobacon

Question

Every time I try to run LOOT from the Mod Organizer, it opens up just fine. However, if I try to edit the metadata or sort the plugins, then LOOT crashes.

I've already tried re installing LOOT and the Mod Organizer but neither has worked. Is there a fix to this? This is really frustrating because I'm finally at the end of the STEP installation, but I can't create the bashed patch until I add these meta rules.  

15 answers to this question

That did not work.

To be more specific, whenever I click on "Sort Plugins," LOOT begins working. But it crashes immediately after the message "Building Plugin Graph." 

I've tried searching around google to see if this problem has a solution, and one person posted about it on the Github back in March, but their solution did not help either. 

For the record, if I can't get this to work, is there another way I can add the metarules so that I can continue with the bashed patch and finally complete the STEP install?

Make sure that you have installed LOOT manually. Meaning, ignore Mod Organizer completely, install LOOT and run it once without even opening M.O. ... Make sure Skyrim is chosen as a game that LOOT can organize. Close LOOT. Then open Mod Organizer. Now run the SORT button within M.O. ... That fixed it for me when I had that similar issue. The Appdata deletion could also be helpful but you said you have done that already. Hope my suggestion helps. 

• +1 1

What the last two Steppers said, I installed LOOT manually via its installer, then set my own metadata user rules. When I used MO's integrated LOOT sort button I confirmed that my user rules set through the standalone LOOT app (configured in MO's exe tab and launched from MO's program shortcut dropdown menu) were being used by the sort button.

Have you run TES5Edit on your load order and did it pass?

Yes

Does LOOT run on its own , outside MO? Find where you installed LOOT too...run the EXE. The LOOT bundled with MO is outdated now anyway, have to wait for them to update.

If you did not install LOOT on its own....LOOT

Yes it does

Make sure that you have installed LOOT manually. Meaning, ignore Mod Organizer completely, install LOOT and run it once without even opening M.O. ... Make sure Skyrim is chosen as a game that LOOT can organize. Close LOOT. Then open Mod Organizer. Now run the SORT button within M.O. ... That fixed it for me when I had that similar issue. The Appdata deletion could also be helpful but you said you have done that already. Hope my suggestion helps. 

I've tried that already with no success.

What the last two Steppers said, I installed LOOT manually via its installer, then set my own metadata user rules. When I used MO's integrated LOOT sort button I confirmed that my user rules set through the standalone LOOT app (configured in MO's exe tab and launched from MO's program shortcut dropdown menu) were being used by the sort button.

And how do I do that exactly? Set your metadata rules i mean. 

Also, for some reason, TES5edit is also crashing when run my MO, yet it was working fine for the entire STEP installation process up until now. 

Edit: To clarify, TES5edit won't even launch from MO anymore. It just crashes immediately. Wrye Bash works perfectly, as does SKSE, it's just these two applications giving me trouble. 

Edited by Oreobacon

If both are not working then this would suggest that there is a bad plugin as both programs deep scan files to do their thing.

Try disabling all your mods and run LOOT / Tes5Edit on your base game files. If you cleaned the game master files then make sure that the ones in the game root folder are pure vanilla. I had a clean go bad on one of them once. Always copy those to a mod in MO and clean them and you can enable it and run the programs on it.

Start installing mods in manageable blocks and run the programs on them. If a certain block fails then you narrowed it down to a few mods, which can be dealt with by elimination.

I was having similar issues. Loot, skse, and all other executables would crash when launched through MO.

I followed GSDFan's advice and I happened to fix it by disabling a mod called "Infinite Blade Armor". I looked into why it was causing me problems and it seemed to have something to do with a stray BSA file outside the data folder. I deleted the rogue BSA and things started working again.

My guess is that either the BSA was corrupt or there was a problem with the way the files were organized. Perhaps there's a mod like that with your setup?

Hello from brand spiffy new person! 

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issues as Oreobacon. Running LOOT through MO, it crashes after trying to sort plugins or edit metadata. Run LOOT outside MO, perfectly fine. TESVEdit will immediately crash upon launch. Outside, perfectly fine. Wrye Bash works both in and out of MO. SKSE and Skyrim itself work.

User Permissions are Full Control, I've done the %LOCALAPPDATA% thing for LOOT, reinstalled MO, LOOT, TESVEdit. Moved Skyrim out of Program Files to Games. Still happens. 

I thought maybe uninstalling all mods would work because of bad or corrupt plugin. Checked the Skyrim folders, no rogue bsa's I can find.

A possible workaround would be install things via NMM, run TESVEdit on things that need it, run LOOT to add metadata rules, then shift things to MO's mods folder? 

Am I barking up the utterly wrong tree? Am I going mad?

Hello from brand spiffy new person! 

Unfortunately, I'm having the same issues as Oreobacon. Running LOOT through MO, it crashes after trying to sort plugins or edit metadata. Run LOOT outside MO, perfectly fine. TESVEdit will immediately crash upon launch. Outside, perfectly fine. Wrye Bash works both in and out of MO. SKSE and Skyrim itself work.

User Permissions are Full Control, I've done the %LOCALAPPDATA% thing for LOOT, reinstalled MO, LOOT, TESVEdit. Moved Skyrim out of Program Files to Games. Still happens. 

I thought maybe uninstalling all mods would work because of bad or corrupt plugin. Checked the Skyrim folders, no rogue bsa's I can find.

A possible workaround would be install things via NMM, run TESVEdit on things that need it, run LOOT to add metadata rules, then shift things to MO's mods folder? 

Am I barking up the utterly wrong tree? Am I going mad?

I have only found your comment after following a bug-report in the MO Bug Genie.

That user had his tools, LOOT, TES5Edit, etc. in Program Files, if this is true for you try moving them to a UAC free location.

Clarification for us noobs!

I got frustrated with STEP over a year ago as a noob hoping that it would help guide me to a stable build but only to my demise. Many hours only at the end to be crushed with instability. Since then I have learned  much and I am trying again especially with the new leaner changelog. With that said though as I am going through this I want to point out unclear instructions that leave us noobs pulling our hair out. Below I have pasted these instructions with some corrections that would really help out someone who is just learning. ( My comment additions in yellow )

Recommendations

Download and install the latest archive: ( DO NOT USE the installer as it will confuse these instructions! )

1. Open the SKSE Archive and and select and Place all *.exe and *.dll files into <skyrim>\ (not the data directory!). Should be three files (e.g., skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_loader.exe, and skse_steam_loader.dll).
  2. Install skse scripts into Mod Organizer.
    • Click the Archive Archive_MO.png button.
    • Browse to and select the downloaded skse archive.
    • In the manual installation prompt, click on the tree arrow just left of the skse field and then right-click data field just under skse and select Set data directory. It should say it Looks good, and not say No game data at top level.
    • Click OK
  3. Create the SKSE ini file OR download and install it from here.
    • Right-click the SKSE mod in Mod Organizer and select Open in explorer.
    • Change to the "skyrim" main game directory  and Open the SKSE folder or create one if one does not exist.
    • In the SKSE folder, create skse.ini using Windows Notepad insuring to save as an .ini and NOT .txt file and paste inside it the following:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Restart MO; if SKSE is installed correctly, MO will detect it and show in the executables drop down. Use the SKSE executable when launching Skyrim from MO from now on.