from light to dark place effect in Opethfeldt

Roberbond

Question

hi! i have discovered the ENB Opethfeldt mod and i think it has a perfect ambient light during the day. The night and the interiors are no so good, too pitch black. But the days are perfect.

I have seen an effect very good with the transitions from light to a dark place. See this gopher video, (second 35):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wT-9wVXPyE&feature=kp

As you can see the dark areas become brighter when you come closer. It is a very subtle and nice effect. I thought this effect could be achieved with the adaptation parameter in the the enbseries but i tried to copy those parameters in another mod without any result. Does anybody know how to do it?

Edited by Roberbond

9 answers to this question

Adaptation is three fold. The values in enbseries.ini, the code in the enbeffect.fx and how it is setup, and the values set by the CK for a given area if using the vanilla implementation of it as well as ENB´s. 

Adaptation in general is a really nice effect when done right.. but the vanilla games implementation is just horrible and suffers from that generation of games where the HDR = insane tone variation between light and dark. 

Part of the reason is that it actually need to be that strong to really work on TV´s.. but when on a monitor then it just gets bad quick. 

Anybody knows another enb preset with this feature?

Can I copy part of the code and copy it in another enb preset? i don´t know how to do it.

edit: can a moderator move this thread to ENB support?. Thanks!

Edited by Roberbond

Moved thread. 

I can be shameless and suggest my own enb since it has working adaptation. Skylight ENB. There are a few others that have it to varying degrees, but most tend to just disable it entirely for various reasons. One of the main ones being that they use palette textures. 

Sadly there is no simple copy paste solutions... it all depends on how the files you are using are setup, as well as what values you are using etc. In short you would need to understand some basic HLSL and basic C++ in order to really get it done properly. 

Oh missed this one it seems. 

The saturation is very easy to adjust (Lower vibrance either via the GUI under enbeffect.fx from 0.15 to 0.0 or lower) and you will get an overall more realistic color theme. 

As for not noticing the effect then that is just weird since the effect is rather strong. It ofc. depends on the weather and the location since you need a certain brightness for it to trigger. I did remove it so it does not trigger all the time like in vanilla.. since that just gets annoying. 

However if you during the night just throw flames you will see it working very well. And if you find a really dark shadow during a bright day then it will brighten ever so slightly. 

If you want the effect to be even more pronounced then I can also provide the instructions for doing that. 

But since this is a rather old post by now I will wait and see if it is still relevant. 

Tweaking the lower vibrance adjust very well the color. I like very much now.

By other hand I can´t see the "effect". I use the weather 81a (clear day) and the shadows are not very dark as they are in opethfeldt, so if the "effect" is present is not noticeable.

Glad that you found some color settings you enjoy. 

As for the effect... then it is there.. but not on every single shadow. And in general I have made sure the effect is not super strong since it would get really annoying if it triggers for every little shadow. 

However if you really want it to trigger then the most easy way is to just enable skylighting. It will cost 15% performance give or take, and there will be certain locations where you will have a few brightness bugs... mainly in the form of the screen getting really really bright at certain angles. 

The more difficult way is to adjust the Toe Numerator and Denominator (Under enbeffect.fx shader in the GUI ) to make low brightness pixels even darker... This effectively increases the contrast but you can fine tune it until you have the shadow intensity you want.  

You can also adjust the AdaptationSensitivity under Adaptation in enbseries.ini... this values determine when the effect will trigger. Hence you can make adaptation trigger on smaller shadows. 

These are the most "easy" way of doing it, and if you play a little bit with it you will be able to get adaptation kicking in as much or as little as you want it too. By default I have just made sure it is not as overwhelming as in pure vanilla since many people including myself find that rather annoying. 

Hope that helps more... If you want more indepth details just let me know!