Some minor enb problems/questions

Ezekiel33

Question

Hey guys!

Ive finally found all the mods I wanted and I'm ready to start a brand new character with a superb wrye bash step installation it's gonna be awesome! However I have some minor concerns about my enb that I actually want to clarify.

1) Ive heard about ENBoost and think it would be great for my system since it's not so recent (except the gpu). I dont really get how it works however. I'm actually using Skyrealism - Cinematic preset with enb version 0.221 which is amazing. How can I benefit from ENBoost without disabling the effects of Skyrealism?

2) Ive also installed the stable ugridstoload fix ; Do I need any other third party mod/application to make sure to not crash/freeze or the combo of ENBoost and ugrid should be enough to maintain my system stable?

3) Lastly, when enb is on, I tend to lag a little bit making the game kinda slower. It's like it's skipping frames and it's not 100% fluid. I can compare this to a robot walk when moving around in game (not as much but it's still annoying) anything to fix that?

thanks so much for the help!!

7 answers to this question

Hi, Ezekiel33!

I am in no way an expert on this subject, but I've been using ENB for a while, so I'll try to help you with what I can.

1) First off you need to figure out the amount of VRAM on your GPU, and whether it's Nvidia or AMD. When you've figured that out, you can download the "ENBoost 5_0"-file from https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/38649. You then unpack that folder to a temporary location and open the folder corresponding to your GPU (the top folders are named after manufacturer, the sub folders after amount of VRAM). In that folder there should be a enblocal.ini file. Open that, find the line "VideoMemorySizeMb=xxx" and copy that line over to the same section in the enblocal.ini that resides in your Skyrim installation directory. You should now be able to benefit from ENBoost without disabling the effects from Skyrealism.

If you have an AMD card, you should also change "DisableDriverMemoryManager=" in your enblocal.ini (the one in your Skyrim installation directory) to "true".

NOTE: This is all presuming you have downloaded the newest enb-file from https://www.enbdev.com/.

2) The combination of ENBoost and Stable uGridsToLoad should handle most mod setups, but if you're looking for something else you can consider downloading the alpha version of SKSE from https://skse.silverlock.org/ and follow Neovalen's instructions (from SR:LE) on how to setup the new memory patch. Be warned though, this is marked as an alpha for a reason. NOTE: This is not a direct quote. I edited the instructions because you stated you use Wrye Bash, and I therefore assume you don't use MO (the mod managing utility used in the SR:LE).

The first step to editing the SKSE.ini is to create it. Perform the following:

Open Windows Explorer

Navigate to ~Skyrim\Data

Create and enter a folder named SKSE.

Create and open a text file named SKSE.ini.

Once this file is open to be edited, paste in the following:

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

This enables self-healing of rogue updating scripts in saves and the new memory patch.

Save and close SKSE.ini then exit explorer.

3) This sounds like stuttering. If you can post some info on what GPU you use, I might be able to suggest some potential solutions. Just to make sure it is really stuttering you should press the shift and enter keys simultaneously to bring up the in-game ENB-menu, and check the fps-count in the top left corner.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Hey thanks for the answers MonoAccipiter much appreciated!

I did change my memory section of the enblocal.ini .

it looks like this :

ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true

ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true

DisableDriverMemoryManager=false

DisablePreloadToVRAM=false

EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false

ReservedMemorySizeMb=256

VideoMemorySizeMb=4096   (I  have a gtx 670 4gb)

The thing I dont get is that Skyrealism requires ENB version .221 so in theory ENBoost wouldn't work since it needs the latest version of ENB just like you said in your post right?

2) I may have a look at the SKSE memory patch but since it's still alpha I'll read carefully hehe ;)

3) Ya it may be stuttering. I have a gtx 670 4gb. My fps turns around 40 all the time. It never drops under 30 that's for sure. Maybe I should simply desactivate some enb effects to make my game really smooth.

thanks again for the advices! :)

I'm glad to be of assistance!

ENBoost is stated to work with binaries 0.217 or newer, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I believe your "VideoMemorySizeMb=" should be set to "3968" (that's what the file from ENBoost's nexus-page said was right for a 4GB Nvidia card), it's normal for it to be a bit below your actual memory size. You could also try to add "EnableCompression=true" to the bottom of the "MEMORY"-section, but that might be a function related to newer versions of the binary. Still, it shouldn't cause you any trouble.

As for the stuttering, there is a few things you could try. Firstly you can try to increase your "ReservedMemorySizeMb" to "512" and see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't help, you can try disabling the ENB's ambient occlusion, as that is known to be a very taxing feature. Apart from that, I believe Nvidia has some sort of stutter-reducing function called "Adaptive VSync", but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with it.

Hope you get everything set up to your liking.

I'm glad to be of assistance!

ENBoost is stated to work with binaries 0.217 or newer, so that shouldn't be a problem. However, I believe your "VideoMemorySizeMb=" should be set to "3968" (that's what the file from ENBoost's nexus-page said was right for a 4GB Nvidia card), it's normal for it to be a bit below your actual memory size. You could also try to add "EnableCompression=true" to the bottom of the "MEMORY"-section, but that might be a function related to newer versions of the binary. Still, it shouldn't cause you any trouble.

As for the stuttering, there is a few things you could try. Firstly you can try to increase your "ReservedMemorySizeMb" to "512" and see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't help, you can try disabling the ENB's ambient occlusion, as that is known to be a very taxing feature. Apart from that, I believe Nvidia has some sort of stutter-reducing function called "Adaptive VSync", but I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with it.

Hope you get everything set up to your liking.

Everything's almost perfect now! Thanks to you!

ENBoost is working, changed the memorysizemb, dwled the alpha version of skse as well as CleanMem and I didnt get any Freeze/CTD at all :)

Turned off ambient occlusion and disabled vsync and stuttering is almost gone too!

I only have one problem left and I could use some assistance for this. I'm using Cot + Cot weathers + RLO + Skyrealism and I seem to have big problems with light sources. Take a look at this picture : https://imgur.com/eJE23fj

How can I fix this?

thanks!

Good to hear that stuff is starting to work out.

Your lighting problem looks like it has to to with bloom settings. IndigoNeko has a FAQ-post where one of the questions concerns what sounds like a similar issue. Sadly, the picture he links too has expired, therefore I can't verify whether it's the same problem, but I would still suggest you try applying his solution.

Problem: Extreme hazyness and fisheye effect.

Solution: This is caused by using the incorrect version of ENBSeries with SkyRealism. Either use the correct versions with each other, or reduce the [bLOOM] and [CAMERAFX] intensity values to around 0.2.

If that doesn't fix it, you should verify that you don't have multiple files editing interior lighting (for example combining one of COT's interior modules with RLO), and verify that you don't have any unsound textures. Perhaps take a look at this and this.

Fixed ; it was due to my version of enb I guess. Just switched from SkyRealism to RealVision [RLO performance profile] and now sun is perfect so are the light sources :)

Realvision is an incredible enb setup but daytime is way to bright (i know its a flavor but it's kinda intense). Nights and interiors are perfect really great job.

MonoAccipiter what enb are you using? I'm looking for something compatible with RLO + cot + cot wathers, have any idea? Mayve I'll get used to the daytime effect but for now it's damn bright for my tastes :P

I currently use the Unreal Cinema ENB, set up per Neovalen's instructions in his Skyrim Revisited: Legendary Edition guide, but with the black bars, the film grain, and rain turned off. Unreal Cinema is, however, very taxing on your FPS, so it isn't for everyone. Perhaps you should have a look in the ENB subsection of the mods forum? Anyways, glad you solved your problem.