Unofficial Patch - Remove Mirmulnir Audio (by Badmagic)

DoubleYou

Unofficial Patch-Remove Mirmulnir Audio by Badmagic

You ever wonder why Mirmulnir (the first dragon you kill at the Whiterun Watchtower) speaks to you in English and rather undragonlikely? "Dragonborn, No!!!" I always want to laugh at that line. Well, that was added by the Unofficial Skyrim Patch (no, I'm not kidding). This mod replaces the voice with silent voice files for those who find the added audio immersion breaking.

...and here I thought it was in the game to begin with. *laughs*

Turns out the USKP added them because Mirmulnir's audio was completely missing for some reason (it was defined in the game, yet no actual voice was provided for him). Yes, I'm betting even the "Dovakhiin? Nooooo!" was defined in Skyrim.esm.

After a bit of TES5Edit checking, I can confirm that Mirmulnir's lines were defined in Skyrim.esm. Including the infamous "Dovakhin? No!!". (FormID 000BCF14 if you are curious). So yes, Mirmulnir really was going to say that line, but Bethesda forgot to pack the voice files (or record Mirmulnir's lines), so the USKP team had to get another VA to do them.

EDIT: Yes, the voice files for Mirmulnir's special lines exist in the Voices BSA, but here's a perfectly accurate transcription of each and every one of them (thanks to the magic of Unfuzer):

ROAAARRRRRR!!!

A user on the comments page for this mod claimed that Bethesda added in official voice acting for this - clearly not true, no voice files exist in Update.bsa, and the ones that I extracted from the Voice.bsa (latest official patch) were all generic dragon roars, as I've just proven.

Listening to the USKP versions of the voice, yes, they do leave a bit to be desired, but you wouldn't notice them very much in-game, and it's not horrible - it still sounds like the other dragons in-game when they speak.

After a bit of TES5Edit checking, I can confirm that Mirmulnir's lines were defined in Skyrim.esm. Including the infamous "Dovakhin? No!!". (FormID 000BCF14 if you are curious). So yes, Mirmulnir really was going to say that line, but Bethesda forgot to pack the voice files (or record Mirmulnir's lines), so the USKP team had to get another VA to do them.

How do you know they forgot? Maybe they thought it was dumb and removed it but forgot to delete it from Skyrim.esm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a bit of TES5Edit checking' date=' I can confirm that Mirmulnir's lines were defined in Skyrim.esm. Including the infamous "Dovakhin? No!!". (FormID 000BCF14 if you are curious). So yes' date=' Mirmulnir really was going to say that line, but Bethesda forgot to pack the voice files (or record Mirmulnir's lines), so the USKP team had to get another VA to do them.[/quote'']

How do you know they forgot? Maybe they thought it was dumb and removed it but forgot to delete it from Skyrim.esm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

tbh I think it is more undragonlikely that more dragons do not speak in english... after all they are not just beasts who roam the lands, but highly intelligent creatures bent on world domination!

I always found it sad that they had not made it so that dragons curse you and what have you while fighting!

But to each their own!

There are quite a few examples of dragons speaking, both in Draconic and English, in the game. EG: Alduin resurrecting Sahloknir during A Blade In the Dark, nearly everything involving Paarthurnax... yes, stuff like that. Also, Mirmunlir's speech appearing even when subtitles implies that his dialog was meant to be uniquly voice, but something happened that prevented the final voice from appearing.

And the voice the USKP chose... well, it does the job, it does sound quite a fair bit like the other dragons in the game, so I have no problems with it being used.

Really, this is "to each your own" - if the USKP voice for Mirmunlir distracts you, you can remove the voice files from the USKP and just have the roars (though you might be confused if you have subtitles on). For people who don't mind the voice, then I would leave it alone. To be honest, I was even fooled with the added Mirmunlir voice - I thought the whole thing was in the vanilla game to begin with.

Besides, the unofficial patches are meant to blend in with the game, right?