Windows 7 vs Windows 8 for Gaming

TechAngel85

First let's start out with this video:

What I found interesting was that I've always heard that Windows 7 is the better gaming platform. However, Linus (I guess he didn't have a babysitter that day...Lol) kinda proves this wrong. Although the averages are about the same, the minimum FPS typically increase on Windows 8 giving a better and smoother gameplay experience.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.

I'm using Windows 8.1 on the computer I assembled recently and previously I used Windows 7, but it's obviously hard to compare unless I had the 2 OSs running on identical machines. Once I installed some programs that hide all the tablet-related UI, it doesn't seem very different than Windows 7.

First let's start out with this video:

What I found interesting was that I've always heard that Windows 7 is the better gaming platform. However, Linus (I guess he didn't have a babysitter that day...Lol) kinda proves this wrong. Although the averages are about the same, the minimum FPS typically increase on Windows 8 giving a better and smoother gameplay experience.

Thoughts?

I don't find it surprising at all especially with the changes to "Aero" also Windows 8 is also more optimized since it HAS to be to run on tablets. I've also noticed something odd and it's not just me (asked a few friends and family) but I've compared and idk why or how but it seems Windows 8 gives a better image even on the same monitor, same settings, etc. It could just be the differences in the "Aero" or something else but Windows 8 looks different even if I have it setup like Windows 7 with the same settings, and with the same wallpapers and such.

I'll watch the video, it's one of the ones I haven't watched (like his RAM video, I need to) but I expect it and the RAM video will not tell me anything I didn't already know.

I guess Microsoft has done optimization in Windows 8 which leads to a higher minimum FPS. This would certainly be beneficial for gamers if proven true in the majority of cases.

EDIT:

Granted, I ran Windows 8 for a long time, but reverted back to 7 when 8.1 broke some things which led to crashes.

I'm not at all surprised. I know people love to hate on Windows 8 but the Metro UI isn't a big hindrance at all. You can boot directly to the desktop and skip it all together. Even then I enjoy using it, mainly for the search feature.

On top of that, Windows 8 is amazingly stable and fast.

In my opinion' date=' window 7 is best foe gaming because it is not heavy and run the games easily.[/quote']

Everything you said is true, however, it's also true for Windows 8.

To be honest though, the improvements to Windows 8, while wonderful in my opinion, are not enough to justify an upgrade at a cost of 100$ (or whatever the OEM price is right now). The only reason I have Windows 8 right now is because it cost me 15$.

Windows 8 is probably better from technical point of view, being more optimized and whatnot, and from what I read in past has superior memory management.

However, it's not just about that. First, it's not mature enough. And second... I made a post summing up my attempt to give this system a shot.

TL;DR version: I am sticking with Windows 7.

I had no problem with Windows 8 until upgraded to 8.1. With Windows 8 you get higher minimums (fps) nearly across the board which can result in smoother gameplay. I think once it matures a bit, it'll be the system to use for gaming.

I had no problem with Windows 8 until upgraded to 8.1. With Windows 8 you get higher minimums (fps) nearly across the board which can result in smoother gameplay. I think once it matures a bit, it'll be the system to use for gaming.

That's kinda funny. I had some problems with my old gpu on Win8 and had to downgrade to win7, but then Win8.1 fixed it. And with Classic Shell + disabled metro, it just feels like a faster Win7 without the aero bull.

Classic Shell is just for the start menu, not for the desktop style. I'm perfectly happy with the Metro desktop style :3

But Aero just doesn't look great, plus it goes berserk whenever you start a gpu intensive game, and sometimes stays in that non-transparent state after you close the game (especially with the Battlefield series)

Classic Shell allows you to add some extra functionality to Windows Explorer too. I ended up switching to it on my laptop after getting sick of the Metro interface (even on a 2013-era laptop). Still can switch to it if I need to use it in tablet mode, but I don't think there's a lot of instances where it would be needed.