ENB Boost and AMD R9 series - GPU load

Violator

Question

3 answers to this question

Most GPU´s got about 3 different levels of use. Low medium and high. There are not smooth transition.. once you hit the next level it will report usage as the next step. Essentially these are the various steps where the clock speed of the GPU and memory gets increased to accommodate more load.

As long as the temperatures do not keep rising and rising then you got nothing to worry about. The cooling system should be designed to maintain even at peak performance for a long time.

Most GPU´s got about 3 different levels of use. Low medium and high. There are not smooth transition.. once you hit the next level it will report usage as the next step. Essentially these are the various steps where the clock speed of the GPU and memory gets increased to accommodate more load.

As long as the temperatures do not keep rising and rising then you got nothing to worry about. The cooling system should be designed to maintain even at peak performance for a long time.

I'm not talking about the steps, GPU load is something different, it is how much workload the GPU has while rendering.

The problem is, that without ENBoost I have much more balanced GPU load, which also means that the fans don't spin up as much as when it has a constant 100% load.

As soon as I add ENBoost to Skyrim, the GPU goes to a constant full load, like when your run Furmark for stress testing, which means GPU temperature and fan rpm goes up, which means more noise.

Essential, ENBoost doesn't make a real difference with my current ini settings, I was just curious if it is the normal behavior of ENB to put as much pressure on a GPU as a stress test benchmark.

One good thing came out of trying ENB though, I discovered that ASUS had done a pretty bad job regarding seating the cooler, the GPU was insulated with cooling paste, so temperatures where 20C higher than now after I reseated it and applied the proper amount and quality of paste.

It was actually that bad that colors started to tear and stretch across the rendered images.