My Gaming Rig

TechAngel85

Looks like my power supply shipped today! I've been considering doing some build videos with this but I only have my phone...so I don't know yet. It takes good quality video but I have no way of setting it up and moving it around right now and the lighting is bad where the build is taking place. Would have to overcome those things. Will definitely be taking some pictures during the process though.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like my power supply shipped today! I've been considering doing some build videos with this but I only have my phone...so I don't know yet. It takes good quality video but I have no way of setting it up and moving it around right now and the lighting is bad where the build is taking place. Would have to overcome those things. Will definitely be taking some pictures during the process though.

You can use a plastic\paper cup to make an improvised stand for the smartphone. Turn the cup upside down, cut a slot for the smartphone in the cup's bottom..

In the mean time, my H100i broke and I've ordered a water cooling kit from EKWB (EK KIT L240). That would be interesting when it arrives... but with our customs I fear i'll have to wait another month.

Okay, got an old drive which was my backup drive backed up to a DVD using a live USB drive of Linux. Now I'm planning on wiping and temporarily using that drive to get up and running until my RMAed drive returns. This will at least allow me to check my other components to make sure they're all properly working.

So I have my system set up with my temporary hard drive solution installed until I receive my replacement hard drive from Newegg. I've stress tested most of the system and everything seems to be in tip-top shape. I was curious so I installed Skyrim. It's like a completely new game for me. In vanilla I'm running at a solid 60fps @ 1920x1080 with Ultra setting (everything is maxed out). The difference in resolution and fluidity is amazing! I've downloaded a few mods (SRO, SFO, Bellyaches, Book of Silence, RW2, Improved Vanilla Mountains, TreesHD) and plugged them in manually just to see how they run on this system. Still maintained a solid 60fps. This is going to be great!

You should work the guide from top to bottom to so we get the opinion of a staff member working from scratch. Z' date=' DY, and me did almost all of the of the last release so it would be pretty different to you.[/quote']

I'll be doing that once my new drive comes in. I might go ahead and install Core, idk. This drive I'm using now is just temporary. Once my new one arrives (and is found to be working :dry: ), this drive will be wiped again, Linux installed on a very small partition and another partition made for storage and backup. That way, my backup drive (the one I'm using now) will at least always be accessible regardless if I have an OS or not. The Linux will be my fail-safe for the drive.

My new drive will be running Windows 7...maybe 8. I haven't decided yet. The Guide has changed a lot and I'm anxious to get a start on it, but I'm having to be patient. Sad thing is, once I get my SSD later this year I'll have to redo it all for a third time. :facepalm: This is why I switched to a laptop....I never seem to stop building and improving upon it when I have a desktop. It's an addiction...

"Hello, my name is Jeremy and I'm an addict. I was clean for 5 years but when my laptop was stolen I was temped into building again. I slipped and now I'm using again."

I'm so over the system building thing. Having to switch stuff out constantly for my workstation has completely turned me away from that whole thing. I want a simple plug and play machine. Hopefully, the steam boxes are that, but I suspect that it will end being something else entirely when the geeks start crying about simplicity.

Building your own rig is just plug and play... almost impossible to put it together wrong.

If you do not want to do all the research then there are plenty of sites that provide good and decent builds, and explain the logic behind their choice.

The only real issue is how much more or less expensive stuff is where you live. But mainly the argument is always going to be that you get more performance/$ then you would otherwise. Also it is far easier to RMA a single piece then to RMA the whole thing if you bought an already assembled retail rig.

The most prominent problem I found with pre-assembled rigs is that they often don't use quality components. They advertise with the amount of RAM, the cpu clock speed and HDD/SSD space. But a motherboard name (very important), ram manufacturer or PSU manufacturer don't mean anything for the average PC customer. About 50% of the pre assembled rigs I saw showed severe problems when pushed.

You should work the guide from top to bottom to so we get the opinion of a staff member working from scratch. Z' date=' DY, and me did almost all of the of the last release so it would be pretty different to you.[/quote']

I have. It's not bad. Though there were a few sections that just felt... Off somehow when I was looking through the guide and going the list while installing manually through MO.

You should work the guide from top to bottom to so we get the opinion of a staff member working from scratch. Z' date=' DY' date=' and me did almost all of the of the last release so it would be pretty different to you.[/quote'']

I'll be doing that once my new drive comes in. I might go ahead and install Core, idk. This drive I'm using now is just temporary. Once my new one arrives (and is found to be working :dry: ), this drive will be wiped again, Linux installed on a very small partition and another partition made for storage and backup. That way, my backup drive (the one I'm using now) will at least always be accessible regardless if I have an OS or not. The Linux will be my fail-safe for the drive.

My new drive will be running Windows 7...maybe 8. I haven't decided yet. The Guide has changed a lot and I'm anxious to get a start on it, but I'm having to be patient. Sad thing is, once I get my SSD later this year I'll have to redo it all for a third time. :facepalm: This is why I switched to a laptop....I never seem to stop building and improving upon it when I have a desktop. It's an addiction...

"Hello, my name is Jeremy and I'm an addict. I was clean for 5 years but when my laptop was stolen I was temped into building again. I slipped and now I'm using again."

Yes Jeremy you can join Overclocker's Anonymous... Wait, I thought your laptop was sold to a friend of yours? This is one of the reasons I bought the 780 I just said screw it I don't want to upgrade for another 3-4 years. It's the one thing wish I could have done over again on my last build. Last build I had a perfectly functional 8000 Series card with 1GB VRAM and that at the time would have been great for general use (and still would) at the time I was a fansub encoder and I said "Bleh, who needs Hyperthreading? I'll get the i5 2500k save a hundred bucks or so and get me a GTX 460 or something", it was my first non AMD build (see the problem?) so I didn't realize how much the hyperthreading would help (even after looking around all the usual haunts like OCN). Then I got into gaming...

The most prominent problem I found with pre-assembled rigs is that they often don't use quality components. They advertise with the amount of RAM' date=' the cpu clock speed and HDD/SSD space. But a motherboard name (very important), ram manufacturer or PSU manufacturer don't mean anything for the average PC customer. About 50% of the pre assembled rigs I saw showed severe problems when pushed.[/quote']

That and a lot of the times the prices for the parts are normal, whereas part per part you can save a bit more, usually.

Buying assembled PC is always a bad idea, no exceptions.

The trouble is that either crappy components are used, the upgradability is close to zero, the price is pointlessly high, or the performance is not optimal because of poor choice of components.

Even if you don't know jack sh** about computers, it's still better to pay someone who does to assemble something for you.