My Gaming Rig

TechAngel85

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm I thought default FOV is 65. Maybe I'm wrong.

I had 7950 3GB recently and with an overclocked 4770 @ 4.5 without ENB (only ENBoost), STEP:Core, 2560*1080 FOV 80 it ran at 40+ FPS (lowest FPS are in Solitude near main entrance and also in Markarth; outside cities 60 FPS almost everywhere). 280x is exactly 7970 which is a bit faster than 7950 so you get the idea.

Also 280x are quite expensive in my location (damn bitcoin miners!), you can get GTX 780 for almost the same price - I suggest going for it, as GeForce has more awesome features - ShadowPlay (recording game footage with almost no performance impact), Ambient Occlusion (though Skyrim ENBs add them, so if you will opt in for an ENB than you don't care), PhysX (doesn't help for Skyrim but will help in some games probably)

Google 280x benchmarks. Most of the popular sites include Skyrim in their benchmarks.

Useless. They test vanilla Skyrim, maximum they include is HRDLC. Only thing I took from all those Skyrim benchmarks on hardware sites is that it is damn CPU hungry and favors Intel CPUs very much

Google 280x benchmarks. Most of the popular sites include Skyrim in their benchmarks.

Useless. They test vanilla Skyrim, maximum they include is HRDLC. Only thing I took from all those Skyrim benchmarks on hardware sites is that it is damn CPU hungry and favors Intel CPUs very much

Kinda hard to do a standard benchmark with a modded setup wouldn't it?

Still, I get what you're saying. We're beating our gfx so hard, that any of them would cripple at some point :D

z-fighting is an ugly thing. Actually I have quite a lot of it, don't want more (got much more of it when installed RealVision ENB, but it's so beautiful - that's worth it). That missing wall corner doesn't really bother me at all.

But out of curiosity, what section the option fneardistance goes in skyrim.ini? I don't have it there

Those benches aren't unless. Even if they're not modded benches anyone with a lick of common sense can still evaluate their card with the vanilla benches and compare it to other cards on the same benchmark. It'll give a rough compare of how the card stacks up to others.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk.

My opinion is that vanilla Skyrim is balanced on GPU and CPU power (i.e. giving more GPU performance increases FPS by decent amount, giving more CPU power increases FPS by similar amount); once you add mods with scripts, NPCs, ... it becomes very CPU limited (i.e. in my setup if I push my i7-4770K to 4.7 GHz from 4.5 GHz I still see a couple of FPS improvement (though at 4.7 CPU is not quite stable :()). In this a couple of GPUs that performed differently before could have the same performance.