My Gaming Rig

TechAngel85

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glossy chassis sucks. I wouldn't buy it.

I've checked an extremely detailed and authoritative review of GW2450HM (on a Russian resource, overclockers.ru), here is the brief of it:

Pros:

• Matrix is fast, not as bad as older MVAs
  • Extremely wide brightness range
  • Quite good backlit uniformity on black background
  • No EMI noise from display or its PSU in all configurations
  • Low power consumption
  • Low input lag (5.5ms)
Cons:

• Glossy chassis
  • Chassis backlashes and is quite flimsy
  • Low backlit uniformity on white background
  • Gradients are extremely weak
  • View angles are quite weak, not better than good TN display
  • Some "Black Crush effect", dunno what it means
  • Display controls are not convenient

I'd rather go with a TN display, but better quality

I have a very bad experience with MVA display - it was Iiyama ProLite X2775HDS-B1, and it is completely ugly, the matrix was unbelievably slow.

Modern TNs actually have bad viewing angles from 1 side only. Usually it's the bottom. Currently at work I have two Philips 241E's - their viewing angles are not bad at all! I would say they are not worse than both my Dells at home - U2913WM and P2714H.

Viewing angles shouldn't be a problem, unless you are sitting in some super awkward position which I cannot even imagine.

It can be a problem on a huge display when you're sitting right in front of it (because of bad viewing angles you will be looking on different areas of a single display with different color distortion)

I'm trying to stay around the $130 (US) range. Viewing angle is important to me due to the fact that I'm coming from a laptop where if your angle isn't just right the brightness and colors are off. Correct colors are obviously important as well; however, I'm not looking for a professional monitor that displays nearly precise colors used by graphic artists. This is the new one I'm looking at: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236335R

In general if at all possible go to a store that that has monitors setup so you can view them.... most share panel type and that is what really matters. Even between IPS there are different ones where some are somewhat better then others. Same for TN.

Also about glossy or not glossy... this is a thing that is 50% personal preference, 50% "how does the room the monitor stands in look".

If you have loads of sun light or another strong back light on the monitor it will get annoying.. if you do not then it might actually be better then matte surfaces.

Edit: The ASUS one is not a bad choice at all. As I recall the ASUS budget ones got quite nice reviews for their price tag. Main downside was the amount of adjustablity I think.

Dude, I know how bad laptop TNs can be. In laptop TNs viewing angles are just a complete ****. Desktop TNs are much better. I remember I've picked ASUS VW222U for myself back in 2007 or something like that - never could have complain about viewing angles. They're just a bit bad when looking from the bottom. Now sitting in front of dual Philips 241E at work - can't complain about viewing angles also.

As for color, IPSs are significantly better at dark colors. You won't get a very black black on a TN, but I think it's a good sacrifice for better performance and chassis.

I think buying an IPS display for 130$ is too cheap - you won't get a good one.

If you can spend a bit more, try this one on IPS: AOC i2367Fh https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160158

Looks quite good from the review I've seen and also looks fantastic (it doesn't have VESA mount though, in case you would like to upgrade it to an eyefinity\surround setup later)

By the way monitor prices on newegg look super cheap :O

Much cheaper than we have here in Belarus, lol