Enhanced Lighting for ENB - by Jawz

JawZ

Ok good.

I'm in need of your nit picking once again. Or from anyone browsing this mod thread actually.

Which one of these images seems to fit the interior best? I'm focusing on bringing back a bit of the vanilla look in terms of overall color.

Vanilla

Posted Image

Default ALPHA 0.0.3

Posted Image

Altered version 1

Posted Image

Altered version 2

Posted Image

Which ever looks better will help me to choose a implementation method and make it faster for me to come up with unique lighting implementations per interior cell based on their original look and the former ELE look.

Don't think of the overall brightness changes of the scene as being part of this evaluation, only focus on the color changes.

I'm skipping the calculator thing I coded, to much variables to take into account for it to be a viable replacement of my "gut feeling".

I think that feature would be great for our ENBoost users. I've actually have some plans in mind for those users and that would be a great addition.

As for the images above...not knowing what and where all the light sources are, I prefer Version 1 and Version 2 the best.

Ok good to know, I will be sure to create a test file so those that are interested can have a go with it and see how it works in game.

I went with a third option that incorporates the above methods, sort of, as well as how hemispheric lighting generally works. "Up" ambient lighting will be slightly less intense than "down" ambient lighting though and the "circular" ambient will be handling the ambient color tint.

Z- = "Up" Ambient

Z+ = "Down" Ambient

X+-, Y+- = "Circular" Ambient

I think that the default alpha 3 is the best of the above screens. The vanilla is just too bright and the other two are a little bit too dark. I kinda like the cold look that the default image has. Everyone always goes to the yellow/orange side of lighting, but the bluer look is better for a wintery fantasy world.

I like the way the brown wood and etching pops more in alternate 1 but Original Alpha 0.0.3 looks better looking at the yellows like the broom straw. I guess that means I'm agreeing with Ess that the bluish tint is better for Skyrim. :D

The yellow might be more contrast than color in actuality.

I think that the default alpha 3 is the best of the above screens. The vanilla is just too bright and the other two are a little bit too dark. I kinda like the cold look that the default image has. Everyone always goes to the yellow/orange side of lighting, but the bluer look is better for a wintery fantasy world.

I agree with that assessment. That's why I've stuck with Vividian Vanilla for my ENB of choice and why it's perfect for STEP. In the future, I wouldn't mind attempting to make my own preset that would be a "Skyrim climate based" ENB that would "feel" like a cold environment as it should. Although Phinix Natural ENB already does a pretty darn good job at this. I have too many ideas floating in my head...need to focus on task on hand...ENB Guide.

EDIT:

Speaking of ENB Guide, ELE is being featured as an ENB Addon: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB#tab=ENB_Addons

If you read it, JawZ, and anything sounds off, please let me know and I'll correct it. Most of it is summarized from your thread on ENB Dev. You can provide feedback here: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/5951-enb-guide-overhaul/

I did go with a similar color tone as the old ELE v0.0.4 ( not v0.0.3 as I wrote above)Made a fourth alteration right after my last post here. I improved the ambient lighting to behave and look more like a proper hemispheric ambient lighting. As proper as it can get with the Creation Engine.And added a ~5-10% vanilla color tone assigned to it. Just to add a hint of the default color tint visuals making it slightly different between each interior cell type.Assigning the initial RGB value to Z-, using the reversed RGB value of Z- for Z+, minus the assigned Direct Lighting RGB value.Example;Direct Lighting: 5, 10, 15.Z+: 80, 82, 89.Z-: 89, 82, 80 - 5, 10, 15 = 84, 72, 65.

X+-, Y+-: 13, 9, 3.Now I just need to create the 120+ different types of Lighting Templates and the next update will be ready for release.

TechAngel85;

If you want I can send you my "ELEP - Full Vanilla Customization" preset your way which let's you control all imagespace values ENB is able to read. Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, White Level, Bloom Scale, Bloom Threshold, Turning on and off Adaptation, alter IS color tint, IS modifier color tint as well as altering Night Eye color tint separately.

If you use it with ELE-Interior Lighting you can also adjust Dungeon type cells independantly from the rest of the location types.

I'm also working on a plugin for that preset that uses certain ELE features but still looks like the vanilla game or at least very close to it.

I saw that, and was a bit surprised when I did, a happy surprise that is. And that's why I decided to put my full focus on ELE again and make sure there will be an update until this weekend or next week.

I skimmed through it and didn't notice any misinformation. I might send you a more detailed list of the features and such once the new update has been released, the mod info needs to be updated and corrected. Even at my thread at ENBDev.

As for the ENB Guide itself I have not really read it, just "quick zapping" between the pages. I will be sure to look over it more closely when I get the time to do so, to see if I can find something that is either missing or perhaps needs some sort of correction, if there is anything to be corrected that is.

TechAngel85;

If you want I can send you my "ELEP - Full Vanilla Customization" preset your way which let's you control all imagespace values ENB is able to read. Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, White Level, Bloom Scale, Bloom Threshold, Turning on and off Adaptation, alter IS color tint, IS modifier color tint as well as altering Night Eye color tint separately.

If you use it with ELE-Interior Lighting you can also adjust Dungeon type cells independantly from the rest of the location types.

I'm also working on a plugin for that preset that uses certain ELE features but still looks like the vanilla game or at least very close to it.

I saw that, and was a bit surprised when I did, a happy surprise that is. And that's why I decided to put my full focus on ELE again and make sure there will be an update until this weekend or next week.

I skimmed through it and didn't notice any misinformation. I might send you a more detailed list of the features and such once the new update has been released, the mod info needs to be updated and corrected. Even at my thread at ENBDev.

As for the ENB Guide itself I have not really read it, just "quick zapping" between the pages. I will be sure to look over it more closely when I get the time to do so, to see if I can find something that is either missing or perhaps needs some sort of correction, if there is anything to be corrected that is.

You can send that my way if you like. It'll be a while before I'm able to use it, but I would most likely put it to use eventually.  Right now I need to finish up the ENB Guide and then move on to the ENBseries INI Guide (a few ENB preset authors are helping me out on it). Also, a more detailed list would be welcomed once it's updated and released.

Thank you for your hard work!

I can understand that, seems you are all over the place, more or less. If I still have some money left on the phone so I can have internet access I will send the files to you once I get back home, otherwise it will happen during the weekend.

And thank you, for yours!

• 3 weeks later...

When I implement ELE lighting with the features it will not have the same huge difference between the different times, which is Day, Sunset, Night and Sunrise.

So in essence it will work just as good as it does with the current ELE modules.

I'm in the process of finishing up those modules previewed in that flick for a weekend release so users might test the new features out in small scale. Whiterun and Solitude interiors will be the interiors with those effects applied to them. To start off with.