To the Linux users out there

phazer11

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually use Ubuntu (live CD) for many of my computer repair purposes such as data recovering because when Windows is fried, linux doesn't care. It'll still read the data on the disk. Data recovery is much more simple doing this rather than using Windows DOS programs (which can take hours/days).

On my main gaming PC which is my laptop atm since my desktop's graphics card is crap I have an Arch Linux partition for recovery purposes and it currently only takes up 4GB (no swap file or programs apart from partitioning software etc and I think I installed a DE).

For anyone that ever used Ghost (back when it was good, before they @#$%@# it up in 9+), you should check out clonezilla. It's a great free solution for creating whole image snapshots of a machine (by partition or drive), copy drives, and you can set up a server to multicast images out to several machines at a time. I use it at home to create an image of a fresh windows install after activation to cut the install time down whenever I decide to start fresh.

I remember ghost it twas a good program I'll look at clonezilla I think I use one of their other softwares matter of fact. I've been using Acronis since they made it $#it. Also nice to have another boot cd tool ty will.

Heh, I've just tried it. In fact, I'm typing this while booted up on Hiren's (specifically, the Mini Windows XP environment). Amazing how much stuff is crammed in there...

For the DOS programs, I'd mostly be using the manufactuer specific hard-disk tools, maybe Copywipe if I just want to quickly copy or wipe a hard drive, MemTest/Video Memory Stress Test - most of my time spent on modern systems will either be in Mini Windows XP or in Parted Magic. Clonezilla is on the disk, and if you want to use Acronis, there's a lite version of it (called Segate Discwizard) on the CD. In fact, you can access Discwizard or Memtest86+ from the main boot menu, so that's really nice. Literally, anything and everything you need to solve any computer problem is on there.

• 5 months later...

Not a joke I'm afraid. I got into computers only recently since my first pc to play with was a toshiba satellite with windows 7 I purchased myself a few short years ago. While I catch on quickly, lack of access to computer toys when I lived with my family caused me to approach the pc world late in my 26 years of life. (For the record I currently build pc's and fix older ones up to sell so I'm somewhat proficient in them)

Indeed. The best way to learn about Linux is to learn about the concept of the variety of Linux distributions (distros) that are offered ... all FREE. Then set up a VM or an old box you have lying around and install a distro. Most distros are fully-functional operating systems (I use Linux Mint myself). Aside from Mint, there are some obvious first-timer distros out there, Ubuntu being the most popular. You just might love it.

sorry to go OT, this can be continued on a more appropriate thread. Splitting now for that.

Simply put linux is a better designed OS that gives you almost unlimited control. Impossible to get a virus, have complete access to every part of the operating system, and everything about how it works is transparent and logical, rather than confusing and nonsensical. Its the power users OS for certain.

Also its free, with dozens of popular distributions, and a huge technical community dedicated to it like its religion.

Simply put linux is a better designed OS that gives you almost unlimited control. Impossible to get a virus, have complete access to every part of the operating system, and everything about how it works is transparent and logical, rather than confusing and nonsensical. Its the power users OS for certain.

Also its free, with dozens of popular distributions, and a huge technical community dedicated to it like its religion.

Well, Linux is not as prone to attack, because most attackers want to undermine the status quo (i.e., Windows users and Microsoft) ... but it can be hacked, cracked and hijacked along with the rest of them (including iPhone, Android, and pretty much any electronic device with an internet connection).

I also think that Windows is very polished and easy to use; however, Linux is different, and transparent, and customizeable ... and OPEN and FREE! One can do all kinds of things with Linux that one cannot do with Wondows (like turn your old 386 into a router that will blow the socks off of your Linksys or Cisco device).

Example of Linux diversity and ingenuity ... Raspberry Pi  ... Linux is a tinkerer's dream ... more stuff.

EDIT: Google this: