To the Linux users out there

phazer11

So... kinda bored and wanted to see how many 'penguin' OS users we have here. I personally love Linux; so much more efficient (albeit limited in software like Photoshop and DirectX Games) than anything else.

My favorite distro after trying many is the first one I tried oddly enough Arch Linux bleeding edge rolling release. Gentoo is ok but the time to set it up is just not worth it IMO and the options for the package manager are lackluster.

If any of you use Linux professionally and find you need more power a friend of mine bought/got several of these (I don't know how I think he was a tester). He says they are ****ing amazing especially for $99 so something you may want to look into; interesting concepts either way I found their video at least somewhat interesting.

https://www.adapteva.com/news/parallella-the-99-linux-supercomputer/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure you could tell that I also use(d) Linux. Well, now I don't really use it outside of virtual machines (takes up too much space, and I spend most of my time in Windows anyway). You may want to check out Funtoo - a fork of Gentoo that was made by the origional author of Gentoo, if you want to.

I'm curious, now that steam is officially supported (and even encouraged by valve) on Linux, how many games actually work? Considering setting up a Linux install as well once I buy a new SSD so I can use one of my old HDDs for it. Been many years since I last used Linux (late 90s!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That sounds like a great value for money. If only I had any use for it. My Raspberry Pi is currently acting as a home seedbox,. I've had a few other uses for it in the past (web server, media box) but nothing requiring extensive knowledge of the system.

Modern GPUs have a lot more processing power than that chip. I wonder what uses people would have for a $99 computer.

I'm curious, now that steam is officially supported (and even encouraged by valve) on Linux, how many games actually work? Considering setting up a Linux install as well once I buy a new SSD so I can use one of my old HDDs for it. Been many years since I last used Linux (late 90s!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It's still mostly indies and Source-based games.

I'm another penguin lover

CentOS is great if you need stability, but the trade off is that it remains well behind other distros. In practice though, this is often not much of a drawback. I often look favourably upon it when certain other distros taunt me with half-baked features not quite ready for release (I'm looking at you, Ubuntu.)

Manjaro is coming along quite nicely - XFCE on top of Arch. Superbly fast, and the package management is powerful, if not entirely friendly.

I prefer Debian based distros to Red Hat fork-offs. Even Debian Sid is far more stable than most popular distributions out there.

Xubuntu has the best Xfce setup out of the box from what I've seen, but I wouldn't mind playing with Arch again, so might give Manjaro a try.

That sounds like a great value for money. If only I had any use for it. My Raspberry Pi is currently acting as a home seedbox,. I've had a few other uses for it in

the past (web server, media box) but nothing requiring extensive knowledge of the system.

Modern GPUs have a lot more processing power than that chip. I wonder what uses people would have for a $99 computer.

You should try out Arch Linux it's easier to install than Linux from Scratch but it's still highly customizable as you have to pick out what desktop environments, etc you want plus their wiki is by far the most detailed help guide to Linux I've ever seen.

Still it's not the same as Linux from Scratch but I don't like setting up Linux from Scratch it's too much like Gentoo's setup for my liking.

Here's some links to their wiki you all might find useful it's some nice reading but hey don't take my word for it (I am a tiny bit biased)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Compared_to_Other_Distributions

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

@Besidilo You should watch their video but if you have to ask you probably don't need the power

https://www.adapteva.com/demo-videos/adapteva-company-introduction-video/

P.S. Yes WilliamImm I had you pegged the Gentoo Penguin was a gimmie also figured you liked penguin's in general.

For anyone that's interested in Linux, programming, web technologies and the like, I'd give a big +1 to the Raspberry Pi, and some of the excellent books to go with it.

It can seem very difficult to break into this stuff, because every concept seems to rely on other concepts. But I would say that gaining a useful level of understanding in this stuff is far less of a challenge than say learning a language or an instrument. I beleive that following along with a good Pi course could get you up to speed with a lot of stuff in just a few weeks. You'll soon understand at least the concepts the four parts of a LAMP server, python scripting, and the Unix command line. Pi also uses an excellent visual programming package to teach kids - I forget what its called.

I love me some Linux, and I tend to use Debian a lot. I first started learning UNIX from NetBSD back in the early 90's, and still use OpenBSD and FreeBSD to this day. I was a BSD fan boy, and still am to some extent, but I love UNIX systems and will give any a try. Professionally, I still have to work with Solaris and HP-UX. Though a big kudos to Sun for ZFS and propelling the movement towards the next gen of filesystems.

I haven't taken a look at the Raspberry Pi stuff I just know Arch's wiki is top notch (and free) and if you read through the guides and search for information from it you can find an answer to almost any technical issue via their wiki and if there isn't an answer on the wiki the people in the forums are pretty friendly from my experience.

I assume the Raspberry Pi books aren't free ebooks and must be purchased?

Amen to that.  Filesystems must be up there for the most backwards and underdeveloped aspect of IT development over the years.   In my mind, I divide my IT experience into fair (my fault) problems, and unfair (not my fault) problems. :P  Crappy filesystems have caused me so much wasted time - not just the frequency of problems, but the amount of bloody time it takes to sort them out in big configurations *shudders*.

EDIT: @phazer

The books I've looked at weren't free, but I'm sure there's some great stuff online. Be worth posting if someone finds some.