SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators

Bealdwine

SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators by EtaYorius

I came across this mod while checking out Automatic Variants (by Leviathan1753).

What intrigues me is that this mod deals in the creature AI rather than textures/models, aiming to bring more accuracy to their behaviour.

It does introduce more spawn points, changes to animal speeds, and small prey critters for the food chain, but I won't list all the changes as they are pointed out in the description.

However there is a list of compatible mods which I will copy here:

[MOD COMPATIBILITY]

Deadly Dragons 100%

Warzones - Civil Unrest: 100%

Wars in Skyrim: 100%

SkyMoMod - 100%

Real Wild Life Skyrim: 90% (There may be minor issues with Factions and LeveledCharacters Lists)

Birds & Flocks: 100%

Prides of Skyrim: 95% (There may be a faction issue that will make Lions & SabreCats to attack themselves)

More Village Animals: 100%

Summon Animal Pets: 100%

WARNING: As with many mods now this is another "It will work best with a New Game start" so probably best considered prior to a clean STEP install for maximum safety.

For me this is a definate one to watch/test come STEP 2.1

I'm personally already using this, but i consider this a concept change/decision and not a fix/balance mod.

So maybe can be included in a later "realism" mod section, not in basic STEP which is focused on visual, bug-fixing and vanilla balance preservation.

I think it should be included as it is not really changing the game drastically or diverging from a vanilla feel. What it does could be called releasim/immersion but you could also classify it as a fix because this is what the animals should be doing in the first place. Anyway if your giving us the option then there really isnt a issue is there ;D.

I agree with TC, the Base STEP setup should be as he describes it - a rock solid platform that can be expanded through user choice. There are a number of mods either already being used by STEPers or WIP that take the vanilla experience 'further'. They can be dealt with as seperate groups (packs) and offered as additions to Base STEP for specific expansion on the vanilla experience.

That is why we are happy to receive all sorts of mod reviews - if not appropriate for base STEP it doesn't mean they cannot be considered for later expansions.

• +1 1

That's it Beald!

I also have to report that SkyTest causes tons of CtD with STEP (at least for me), because of multimod compatibility issues probably. I've isolated many of those ctd and removing SkyTest always solves them. Same with Real Wildlife.

Ok, i've discovered the crashes are 100% caused by Birds and Flocks mod. If you want to use SkyTest disable Birds and Flocks, even if it says in the SkyTest description it is 100% compatible.

You won't lose anything since SkyTest already includes new birds spawns.

Ok, i've discovered the crashes are 100% caused by Birds and Flocks mod. If you want to use SkyTest disable Birds and Flocks, even if it says in the SkyTest description it is 100% compatible.

You won't lose anything since SkyTest already includes new birds spawns.

Ah yes, I actually noticed this the other day aswell. Had a very specific crash that would occur every time I tried entering one of those fallen trees where there's a treasure hidden outside Riverwood. Removing Birds&Flocks solved it in every test I made.

Been using this mod for a while as well, and to be fair the effects are pretty subtle, but still evident. It is noticeable that animal AI has been tweaked, wolf attack differently, there are more groups of animals, and i can now see female-male pairs in the wilderness. This may be my imagination as well, but i think animals are less prone to running into water as well.

I also use Real Wildlife, which compliments SkyTEST perfectly. I especially enjoy the minature skeevers and spiders that replace rats as critters. The lore-friedly expanded diseases is also a bonus. So for those of you who enjoy SkyTEST i would recommend Real Wildlife. When i have the time again i will try to post a full review for it.

And thanks for the ctd issue heads up with Brids and Flocks. I havent noticed any CTDs, but i still do get freezes in exterior cells sometimes, around riverwood as well, so i will check if disabling it fixes it.

• +1 1

• 4 months later...

Out of curiosity, is this mod going to be recommended in the future releases of STEP? (version 2.3)

Also regarding this mod, I have a couple questions

1. Why was it removed?

2. Are there any CTD Issues?

3. Should I choose the esm version or the esp version

Any help with these questions will be very beneficial to the step community.

It was never in STEP, it was in an optional pack. We didn't have time to review all the optional packs we had planned so we just removed them all to get STEP 2.2 out the door.

Either this or a similar mod will make it into a STEP 2.3 optional pack.

Always use esp versions of mods, esm versions are by their very nature corrupt (unless you have a copy of the Bethesda version of the CK where you are allowed to make them). Authors that use corrupt esm's to cure problems with their mods are either misinformed or bowing to the pressure from the crowd.