Nordic Lantern - Replacer (by css0101)

hylskrik

Nordic Lantern - Replacer - changes the mesh and texture of the lantern to a more nordic theme. I know we already have Brumbek's new lantern but I figured I'd throw this one into the ring as I much prefer it to the SMIM lantern. Only issue is that it's a bit clean looking. I added a screenshot to the images for the mod with a slightly modified texture, the mod author hasn't replied to the requests for a dirtier version, although it seems he/she isn't too comfortable with English. :(

The guy who made the Wearable Lanterns SMIM patch actually made one for this one as well, he commented asking for permission but the mod author isn't very talkative :/ If we could get in touch with the mod author, at the very least maybe we could have it as a Wearable Lanterns enhancement so only the player has one?

Maybe I am strange, but I prefer the vanilla lantern to the SMIM or this one...

This one is nice, though the designs along the metal make it look like a higher-quality lantern and not one you'd see the everyday person using. The same could be said of Brumbek's though...

Maybe I am strange, but I prefer the vanilla lantern to the SMIM or this one...

This one is nice, though the designs along the metal make it look like a higher-quality lantern and not one you'd see the everyday person using. The same could be said of Brumbek's though...

You're not that strange, you know :). It looks like these Nordic Lanterns are coming from an Ikea store of the 21st century. Very well made ideed in a post industrial era.

Now I find Brumbek's lanterns alien and grotesque looking in the harsh world of skyrim. Why reinvent the wheel ? Why not making them an optional download with the vanilla model redone as a base ? A strange design decision..

This:

Nice, but it looks more like an aristocrat's version to me. Most lanterns should look simple and drab IMO. Also, Wearable lanterns now looks right with SMIM, but not this one I suspect.

And this

You're not that strange, you know :). It looks like these Nordic Lanterns are coming from an Ikea store of the 21st century. Very well made ideed in a post industrial era.
Now I find Brumbek's lanterns alien and grotesque looking in the harsh world of skyrim. Why reinvent the wheel ? Why not making them an optional download with the vanilla model redone as a base ? A strange design decision..

+1

Yep, I just commented on the wearable lanterns SMIM patch thread. I definitely prefer vanilla lanterns (and barrels for that matter) to SMIM and this one.

In fact, I think that we should recommend NOT using SMIM lanterns either and stick to vanilla.

You know what, after reading people's comments and doing some thinking - I kind of prefer the vanilla one as well. I still think this particular lantern deserves endorsements for the very nice work put into it, but I agree that it does kinda look like modern metal work. I've gone back to using the Ruins Clutter Improved mesh (only makes the candles a little taller) with Tobes' rusty texture. It feels absolutely "right" considering I use Lanterns of Skyrim -- outdoor lanterns should probably be really rusty :)

If anything, I kinda want to have Chesko's wearable lantern mesh available as an alternative, it doesn't make sense for the handle to stand to attention and the lack of glass is annoying me (it has glass guards [the X struts] for goodness' sake!)

• 2 years later...