A new crash I am trying to diagnose

Soulmancer

Question

Recently I have started experiencing a very frequent crash on a new game that occurs when leaving an indoor area.  I don't recall ever seeing a log like this before.  May be worth noting that I upgraded to 1.6.1130 then downgraded to 1.5.97 with best of both worlds.

https://pastebin.com/stuPBPBu

I have five more just like this within 5 hours of starting a new game, this log means nothing to me in the probable object/callstack.

Thx

4 hours ago, RainingTacco said:

I dont think its due to memory leak as it happens on game load. Maybe it's trying to reference something that doesn't exist, save that variable in an infinite loop accessing again and again and then overloading VM? Or just simply not being able to reference properly, weird thing that these objects to exist in formid plugin of skyrim and point to some activator like mine or/clay deposit.

Your Papyrus logs contain the same "WARNING: Missing or zero refcount on when releasing" as Soulmancer's, with different Form IDs. In the logs you posted, all the Form IDs point to vanilla ACTI objects (activators) with attached scripts: all but one are mining deposits, the other one is a word wall.

I was suggesting this is due to memory corruption (not leak), or in-memory data corruption if you prefer, over time as you play the game. A buggy component is overwriting good data with random/garbage data. Data used by the Papyrus VM for its internal scripts housekeeping. When a save file is reloaded during gameplay the VM needs to clean up its current gameplay state before it loads the save (as opposed to a save being loaded right after launching the game, where the VM starts in a "blank" state). The crash occurs during the cleanup phase. There are no objects or Form IDs listed in the crash logs because no plugin objects are involved: this happens entirely within the VM's internal housekeeping. Which goes boom because it finds and uses garbage data instead of good data.

This is only conjecture. I don't know what's really happening and I reckon trying to explain it is not very helpful.

I think the peculiar warnings in the Papyrus logs are correlated with the crashes, and could be used as a troubleshooting point. The VM warning is telling something is unexpected and wrong when "releasing" (presumably releasing memory used by scripts attached to objects) during the cleanup phase, a telltale sign that memory corruption has occurred during gameplay, and it precedes the crashes.

For troubleshooting, I'd suggest using the standard process of elimination by disabling mods (not only plugins, but entire mods if they contain loose scripts). You could focus on the most likely culprits first:

• SKSE plugins.
  • Mods containing scripts.
  • Mods that you added or updated since before the crashes started occurring, and which fall into the previous 2 categories.

Test with Papyrus logging turned on, play for a bit, save and reload without restarting the game, and keep an eye on the logs for "WARNING: Missing or zero refcount on when releasing" messages.

2 hours ago, MisterMorden said:

Again this is really just a wild stab in the dark, I was trying to eliminate the script altering mods in my LO first and realized after fast traveling and saving all over I've yet to CTD on this save whereas I was crashing every 20 or so minutes before.

I don't think your issue is/was the same as that originally discussed here. Yes it's related to Papyrus VM too but it's a different issue. If it's resolved, I'd bet it was caused by using SpeedUpNativeCalls = true with Papyrus Tweaks NG.

• Thanks 1

I appreciate you going over this with me even though it's not the same problem MT, always super helpful!  I started getting my crash again, unfortunately.

I noticed that dyndolod dll ng & scripts was updated as someone reported crashing with the last one but their logs don't look related...any way that could be causing something closer to these (assuming all parties using large reference bug workarounds)?

20 hours ago, MisterMorden said:

I noticed that dyndolod dll ng & scripts was updated as someone reported crashing with the last one but their logs don't look related...any way that could be causing something closer to these (assuming all parties using large reference bug workarounds)?

Nope. The DynDOLOD DLL NG crash is a completely unrelated issue. You can update to the latest version (Alpha-14) if you want (make sure to save your game in an interior cell beforehand) but that won't help in your case.

You said your crashes were random and the logs involved different objects each time, but you only have provided one crash log so far. You may want to create a new topic for your issue and post multiple recent crash logs, while providing some context: what you were doing at the time of the crash, what was changed (if any) in load order before, etc.

• Thanks 1

Hi there!
Ah lovely, someone else is sharing my pain. I am subjected to the exact same crash issue on 1.59.7 and I have no clue what might be the root cause of this.
Has the culprit been figured out yet?

EDIT: Refering to Soulmancers initial crashlog

Edited by Arimati

People, if you have the same crashes, please upload logs, you can cross reference mods and maybe someone will get to a bottom of this.

I remember not having this issue on 1.6.640 with pretty much same mod setup, so it appears that downgrading to 1.5.97 and replacing all of the skse mods with 1.5.97 version cause some bug or something is not playing well together - notice that we all who suffer from this bug are using 1.5.97.

Edited by RainingTacco