[WIP] DDSopt & Texture Overhauls

z929669

Question

• Answers 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

The INI needs to moved on the Guide to somewhere before the users start with the DDSopt instructions; not at the end of the guide after they've already been processing textures. :P (or at least mention somewhere before the instructions to grab it before processing)

Please feel free to update it or anything else where it is obvious ;)
I edited the guide and put an additional reference to the updated DDSopt.ini in the first page where the nexus download is mentioned. I also expanded the description in the appendix covering it. I also expanded the DDSopt Preview mode description mentioning that it separates the textures into channels and because of this will give a different view of them than what is seen in Compressonator and IrfanView.

New texture for you guys to track down. I'm assuming it is one of the ground textures in one of the big texture mods but I'm not sure...I'll attempt to track it down.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I found two problem textures in Serious HD but it's not this issue above: (rocks01.dds and rocksedgetrim01.dds)

Posted Image

EDIT: Found it... it's tundrarocks01.dds in Serious HD

Posted Image

I ran the 2Kx2K textures rock*.dds and *rock01.dds textures in Skyrim HD, Serious HD, and SRO through DDSopt. Whenever there was a large "smooth" area, be it smooth rock or or tundra, among the otherwise jagged rocks DDSopt didn't get the smoother area into the optimized primary channel image - it was black. The worst was SRO textures\landscape\rocksedgetrim01.dds, with Serious HD textures\landscape\rocksedgetrim01.dds and textures\landscape\tundrarocks01.dds a close second. Serious HD textures\landscape\rocks01.dds also had problems. All the others were OK. The alpha channels on all textures I processed were fine.

Found another one but I can't seem to track this one down. It's on the side of the path leading up to Bleak Falls Borrow before you get to the tower with the banits.

Posted Image

EDIT: On second look, it's possible it's suppose to look like that.

Yep, a good example of a bad snow texture :P

I ran the 2Kx2K textures rock*.dds and *rock01.dds textures in Skyrim HD' date=' Serious HD, and SRO through DDSopt. Whenever there was a large "smooth" area, be it smooth rock or or tundra, among the otherwise jagged rocks DDSopt didn't get the smoother area into the optimized primary channel image - it was black. The worst was SRO textures\landscape\rocksedgetrim01.dds, with Serious HD textures\landscape\rocksedgetrim01.dds and textures\landscape\tundrarocks01.dds a close second. Serious HD textures\landscape\rocks01.dds also had problems. All the others were OK. The alpha channels on all textures I processed were fine.[/quote']

By the way, for those using SRO (like me) for some of the textures, I felt that the SRO version of these (and some other related) rock textures wasn't as good as the ones in Skyrim HD or Serious HD. The rock textures that Cestral chose for TPC seemed like good choices.

All of the above examples should be added to the AlphaCustom portion of the INI. This will fix. The same happened with clouds.

I added it to DDSopt.ini in the DDSopt guide.
Great, thank you ... I could also use some help isolating exactly which of the effects textures are borked by DDSopt defaults. Right now the whole directory is in there, but it really shouldn't be, as only about a third of the textures should be. I have begun looking at the primary and alpha channels of source/destination starting alphabetically in the effects root. If someone wants to begin looking at efects\gradients, that would be awesome ...

All of the above examples should be added to the AlphaCustom portion of the INI. This will fix. The same happened with clouds.

Great, thank you ... I could also use some help isolating exactly which of the effects textures are borked by DDSopt defaults. Right now the whole directory is in there, but it really shouldn't be, as only about a third of the textures should be. I have begun looking at the primary and alpha channels of source/destination starting alphabetically in the effects root. If someone wants to begin looking at efects\gradients, that would be awesome ...
The file I posted earlier on the effects\gradients problem had a list of all the files I was sure were borked; it was over 80% of the textures in that folder. I used DDSopt Preview mode to view the primary and alpha channels of all textures in that folder. There were 30+ files where I wasn't sure there was a problem. You might want to look at the ones I didn't include just to make sure. There were a few I didn't report because the primary texture was very dark and if there were any problems it was hard to tell. There were also a number of textures that seemed perfectly fine after DDSopt processing.

The file I posted earlier on the effects\gradients problem had a list of all the files I was sure were borked; it was over 80% of the textures in that folder. I used DDSopt Preview mode to view the primary and alpha channels of all textures in that folder. There were 30+ files where I wasn't sure there was a problem. You might want to look at the ones I didn't include just to make sure. There were a few I didn't report because the primary texture was very dark and if there were any problems it was hard to tell. There were also a number of textures that seemed perfectly fine after DDSopt processing.
OK cool. I will grab that and edit the INI then.

Sti9ll need help with Root though ;) I have checked the first 20 or so files and found a handful so far.

Hi, just ran DDSopt (downloaded for Nexus), using the current ini settings from the wiki, and found that the riverwoodriverwoodtrader01.dds, displays black.

This file is located in the textures\clutter\signage\riverwood folder.

Now if I use the DDSopt_v080pre5b-SSE3 version with it's default ini, the above file is not black.

So there seems to be a difference in how each version is processing the files.

I was reviewing the discussion and I changed the following:

* "effects/" by default is excluded from semantical processing, I added a few files back into the .ini though which I know contain transparency in the alpha

* I added all the files in "sky/" to the .ini which don't contain transparency (aurora and constellation)

* I let DDSopt choose a more pleasing matte-colour when transparency is 100%, though this may just obstruct the "problem" / the necessity to clearly identify special or buggy textures ... if you want to do wrong-transparency-assumption hunting you can continue with "update 3"

Just check the textures with the updates and look if I didn't find all exceptions. As said, effects+sky shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Thanks for updating the .ini and the executable . Did you also address the processing for the Riverwood Trader sign we were discussing a while ago?

I edited the DDSopt guide with information about the new DDSopt pre-release update 4 and associated ini file.

Ethatron, ive been having a lot of crashes with DDSopt lately. For instance after constraining the _n.dds files from Serious HD to 50% resolution, when i click on Primary (Destination) in the preview tab it crashes. This happens with all the _n.dds files from Serious HD.

I dont know if its just me or if someone else can replicate the bug?