vastly underestimed times for xlodgen, texgen, etc?

doug4130

So my system is pretty modern (ryzen 5700x, m.2 drive etc) yet these ETAs are nowhere near what they realistically take.  LODgen, with an ETA of 20 minutes, took over 1 hour and 45 minutes.  TexGen with an ETA of 5 minutes is at 35 minutes and counting.

all good if this is to be expected, but is something going on here?

how long would you go before you'd consider it not working?  I've been stuck here

[34:16]     Creating D:\Modding\Tools\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\textures\dlc02\lod\volcanic_ash_tundra_04lod.dds from 4 textures

for about 10 mins or so

2 hours ago, doug4130 said:

So my system is pretty modern (ryzen 5700x, m.2 drive etc) yet these ETAs are nowhere near what they realistically take.  LODgen, with an ETA of 20 minutes, took over 1 hour and 45 minutes.  TexGen with an ETA of 5 minutes is at 35 minutes and counting.

all good if this is to be expected, but is something going on here?

Tip for AMD users: Kill AMD* named processes via TaskManager prior to any LODGen process:

image.png

One or more of these processes can significantly increase generation time, and it's not yet clear how/why. This is probably related to Texconv used in may of the LODGen processes and mediation of said processes by the AMD processes. I think it's due to AMD interpreting the LODGen processes as similarly to in-game routines like texture/redering optimization. Some combined versions of DynDOLOD and AMD software cause this problem while others do not, so I always just disable these. Generation time is on the order of 5-10 faster by doing so, and only the AMD drivers are needed anyway. A reboot will restore them for gameplay, but they aren't even needed for that (at least not for Bethesda games).

Added a similar note to the guide.