Can The Bethini Screenshots be disabled?

mooit

Question

When I first set up SSE with Bethini, I just assumed that the screen shots just overwrote the ones SSE created, but instead, now you'll end up with two screen shots for every one you take, one that SSE creates and Bethini.

Is there a way to disable the screen shots from Bethini? I thought for some reason, it had a disable box you could check to do this in the Bethini UI.

Might be a good idea, if possible to add a 'Disable' option in the future.

Hr0oHPV.png

THANKS

Edited by mooit

8 answers to this question

It is possible to disable the hotkey for Skyrim's built-in screenshot feature, but it's a "delicate" procedure. You've been warned. Don't blame me if you eff up your control bindings. See WARNINGS and NOTES at the end.

• Extract the file interface/controls/pc/controlmap.txt from Skyrim - Interface.bsa located in the game data folder.
  • Install the copy of the file you extracted previously in your mod manager, under the same interface/controls/pc directory structure.
  • Edit controlmap.txt with a text editor.
  • Search for the line beginning with the word 'Screenshot', it should look like this:
Screenshot			0xb7				0xff	0xff				0	0	0
  • Change the second word from 0xb7 to 0xff:
Screenshot			0xff				0xff	0xff				0	0	0
  • You can add comments if you like so you can see the changes you've made:
// Original: Screenshot			0xb7				0xff	0xff				0	0	0
// Disabled
Screenshot			0xff				0xff	0xff				0	0	0
  • Save controlmap.txt.
  • Launch Skyrim.
  • Load a save or start a new game.
  • Go to the System/Pause menu > Controls and press the key to reset to defaults (for me it's the T key, yours may be different), indicated by the green arrow in this screenshot:

image.png

• Exit the menu.

WARNINGS & NOTES

• You need to use a BSA archive extraction tool to extract files from Skyrim - Interface.bsa.
  • An alternative to using the System > Controls menu to reload the default configuration is to delete the file ControlMap_Custom.txt from the game directory, while the game isn't running.
  • Resetting to defaults means you will lose any change you made to the control bindings. Memorize them beforehand and re-apply them afterwards with the Controls configuration UI.
  • The same procedure can be used to disable or remap other keys. For instance, I use it to disable Quick-Save and Quick-Load, freeing up more Fn keys for use by mods, or to remap Map menu keys, which is not possible via the Controls configuration UI.

BethINI only modifies naming scheme of the game's own screenshot mechanism. It does not add additional screenshot software. If receiving double screenshots, you have an additional screenshot software, such as enb, that is doing that. SSE provides no way to outright disable its screenshot mechanism. However, if you add an illegal character to the filename, such as a question mark, it will effectively disable the saving of the screenshot. 

I meant to say, I just thought that a way had been designed to disable SSE's screen shots.

I only wanted to use the ENB is all, and not get twice the screen shots when taking them.

THANKS

2 minutes ago, mooit said:

I meant to say, I just thought that a way had been designed to disable SSE's screen shots.

I only wanted to use the ENB is all, and not get twice the screen shots when taking them.

THANKS

Just change the ENB hotkey in enblocal.ini and use that then.

55 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Just change the ENB hotkey in enblocal.ini and use that then.

This I already understand with the enblocal.ini

I was just thinking the in game could be disabled and I kept using Print Screen too for the ENB, but guess not.

I moved this post the the Q&A SSE subforum so that @Mousetick's post doesn't go to waste (I selected it as the 'best' answer).

We normally don't advise people to this level, since most people won't bother going to the trouble implementing (or creating the post), and it's pretty technical to tweak at this level.

But if the work is put in writing it up, then it should be more visible, IMO.

The technique of editing controlmap.txt is not very well known, but it's not completely out of reach either. The basic principle is the same as installing a texture or mesh replacer as loose files in a mod manager to overwrite files packaged in vanilla BSAs. In this case the overwritten file is a default configuration file. The biggest hurdle is understanding Bethesda's esoteric configuration file format, which is succinctly documented at the top of the file.  

There are a few mods on Nexus that provide pre-edited controlmap.txt files for specific purposes, for instances:

More can be found by searching.

I should note that effing up the controlmap.txt configuration is not catastrophic. Control bindings are stored separately from, and doesn't affect, game save files. In case something goes wrong, one can simply revert to factory vanilla defaults at any time by disabling/removing controlmap.txt from mod manager, removing ControlMap_Custom.txt from game directory, and resetting to defaults in System Menu > Controls UI.