Mouse selection stucks after reading a note

duy123a

I am currently using STEP 2.2.0, and after reading a note from the inventory, I pressed 'Esc' button to escape a note view, and then the mouse selection stucks. It can move but can't select anything. I have added a clip for a problem. Normally if I click the left button of the mouse, it will work again but it is still kinda annoy to me to click twice.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZatG9BiwsMhOvyWzUirjEB_ga7lC9ZLN/view?usp=sharing 

Edited by duy123a

1 hour ago, duy123a said:

I am currently using STEP 2.2.0, and after reading a note from the inventory, I pressed 'Esc' button to escape a note view, and then the mouse selection stucks. It can move but can't select anything. I have added a clip for a problem. Normally if I click the left button of the mouse, it will work again but it is still kinda annoy to me to click twice.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZatG9BiwsMhOvyWzUirjEB_ga7lC9ZLN/view?usp=sharing 

So you must click after reading the note for the mouse hover effect to work again?

Seems like a very minor inconvenience and related to SkyUI inventory not having the focus (focus is still on the note subroutine). That's a problem for the SkyUI team and/or the author for one of the Interface mods we are using in the guide. I don't know offhand which one but maybe Convenient Reading or Better Container Controls.

If my understanding of the problem is accurate, I don't think it's enough of an issue to spend time resolving, but if you do delve into that, please let us know what you find.

I didn't watch the video. How can a video show which key and button you're pressing and when? All it can show is the cursor.

Please describe which keys and mouse buttons you press, and the order in which you press them, using a simple list of steps, so we can better understand your problem and try to reproduce it.

Edit: I got it. The steps are:

1. Mouse over the book or note in inventory to highlight/select it.
  2. Left-click the item. This opens the reading UI.
  3. Dismiss the reading UI using Esc or Tab key. This goes back to inventory.
  4. The item previously clicked is still highlighted/selected. Hovering over other items with the mouse doesn't highlight/select them. Basically the list of items in the inventory has lost "focus".
  5. Left-clicking anywhere in the inventory restores "focus".

I don't know what causes it exactly, but it's not Convenient Reading. I can reproduce the same issue with items other than books (e.g. on the Miscellaneous tab) which can be activated without equipping or consuming them. There is a similar issue when using the Search field (top-right corner of inventory) where the inventory list loses focus and requires an extra click. So it might simply be a SkyUI glitch.

You may want to use the keyboard shortcut ('E' by default for activating an item) instead of mouse clicks to read books and notes. The issue doesn't occur in that case.

• +1 1

13 hours ago, z929669 said:

So you must click after reading the note for the mouse hover effect to work again?

Seems like a very minor inconvenience and related to SkyUI inventory not having the focus (focus is still on the note subroutine). That's a problem for the SkyUI team and/or the author for one of the Interface mods we are using in the guide. I don't know offhand which one but maybe Convenient Reading or Better Container Controls.

If my understanding of the problem is accurate, I don't think it's enough of an issue to spend time resolving, but if you do delve into that, please let us know what you find.

Your understanding is correct. I have tried to remove both Convenient Reading and Better Container Controls, but the problem still exists, so I think it is related to SkyUI.

Edited by duy123a

I think I can safely say this issue has existed in the guide for a long time and predates Convenient Reading, but I think it's a minor inconvenience. I seem to recall one way to work around it is to click on another book or note to reset the focus.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Axmell said:

Still no fix? I have the same issue.

This is out of scope for the Step guide and should be raised with SkyUI team or the relevant mod authors extending this to SkyUI. It's really a minor 'issue', IMO.