Quoting another post while editing my own previously posted post

Mousetick

Question

I can't seem to be able to quote another post while editing my own previously posted post. The quote is inserted into a new post, not the post I'm editing.

1. Make a post, post it.
  2. Edit the post posted in #1.
  3. Select text from another post, click Quote.

Expected result: The quote is inserted at the insertion post in the post being edited.

Actual result: The quote gets inserted into a brand new post.

Am I missing something or is this a forum quirk?

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Mousetick said:

I can't seem to be able to quote another post while editing my own previously posted post. The quote is inserted into a new post, not the post I'm editing.

1. Make a post, post it.

Expected result: The quote is inserted at the insertion post in the post being edited.

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

I agree that it is very annoying and counterintuitive.

Well, we got a response, and current behavior is expected due to the explanation that we evidently hadn't considered:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/471314-adding-new-quote-when-editing-a-previous-post/?do=findComment&comment=2920714

56 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

1. Make a post, post it.

This is how it's always been I do believe. Most of the time, however, if you post a second reply with the quote very soon after your initial post, the new post will append itself to the previous post.

____

This is a second post with the quote a second time...

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

1. Make a post, post it.

1 hour ago, Mousetick said:

Echoing DY in part here. I'm not sure if it's always been that way, but this very thing was pissing me off just the other day. It's definitely a bug.

I got around it by copying my source from the post I'm was currently editing (so as not to lose it) and pasting that into TextPad. Then I quoted the post I wanted in a new post, went into source mode and merged my saved source. Frickin' annoying to say the least. Hopefully will be fixed in a release, but I will point their devs to this discussion to make them aware of it if they aren't already.

The time limit for merging double posts is 5 min. After that, it will be a new post.