DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

I have been using 3.0 with grass billboards for a few weeks now without any obvious problems that I could find.  The only thing I could see is that the interface for TexGen and DynDOLOD seem to scale now with Windows 10 DPI scaling, and while on my end the text seem to just fit at 1.25%, my guess is that with higher scaling it might pose a problem.  I have recently started using xLODGen and I think I noticed the same issue there as well.  The previous version of DynDOLOD did not use scaling I think, which might be preferable.  I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but my vote goes to move this project to beta so more people can enjoy using it.  The grass billboards seem to make as big of an improvement to the game's visuals as the original DynDOLOD was to vanilla game, if not more.  Once at beta we could contact GamePoets and suggest an update to his awesome tutorial videos, including a section for using xLODGen together with the new 3.0 and billboards.

30 minutes ago, ikonomov said:

I have been using 3.0 with grass billboards for a few weeks now without any obvious problems that I could find.  The only thing I could see is that the interface for TexGen and DynDOLOD seem to scale now with Windows 10 DPI scaling, and while on my end the text seem to just fit at 1.25%, my guess is that with higher scaling it might pose a problem.  I have recently started using xLODGen and I think I noticed the same issue there as well.  The previous version of DynDOLOD did not use scaling I think, which might be preferable.  I'm sure there are good reasons for it, but my vote goes to move this project to beta so more people can enjoy using it.  The grass billboards seem to make as big of an improvement to the game's visuals as the original DynDOLOD was to vanilla game, if not more.  Once at beta we could contact GamePoets and suggest an update to his awesome tutorial videos, including a section for using xLODGen together with the new 3.0 and billboards.

Are you just guessing or is there an actual issue with scaling in xEdit/xLODGen/DynDOLOD3?

37 minutes ago, sheson said:

Are you just guessing or is there an actual issue with scaling in xEdit/xLODGen/DynDOLOD3?

I've had issues before because of scaling in other programs, as everybody probably does on windows using anything other than 100%, but it's only really obvious when it's higher than say 150%, which I have on one computer connected to a 4k TV.  This is with the newest versions of xLODGen, DynDOLOD and TexGen.  If I'm not mistaken the previous version of DynDOLOD did not scale at all, possibly related to a newer MS visual studio C++ version used.  Maybe you can increase the text fields a little, to minimize the chances of it happening.  The screenshots were taken at 200% to make it more visible where it happens.

1.png

2.png

3.png

8 hours ago, ikonomov said:

I've had issues before because of scaling in other programs, as everybody probably does on windows using anything other than 100%, but it's only really obvious when it's higher than say 150%, which I have on one computer connected to a 4k TV.  This is with the newest versions of xLODGen, DynDOLOD and TexGen.  If I'm not mistaken the previous version of DynDOLOD did not scale at all, possibly related to a newer MS visual studio C++ version used.  Maybe you can increase the text fields a little, to minimize the chances of it happening.  The screenshots were taken at 200% to make it more visible where it happens.

If the scaling causes issues in other programs it seems to me the OS is not doing it very well. Do you have a multi monitor setup with different resolutions?
You can always try to disable scaling on the Compatibility tab of a programs properties.

xEdit is compiled with Delphi.

Yep, scaling is just one more thing that the Win OS is not doing very well.  I'm not having a problem here, I'm using a single 27" 1440p monitor with 125% which is not causing issues for the vast majority of programs even if their scaling method is not 100% conforming to MS standards (whatever those may be).  The 4k monitor that I have on the other computer just made me aware about how bad scaling really is in Windows and made it easier for me to spot when it might cause issues beyond the 125% that I normally use.

Sadly Compatibility settings for high DPI haven't been working for some programs for a while now.  It used to be that if the OS detects that a program is not DPI aware it would simply scale its interface and everything would look blurry and upscaled but proportional to what it would look at 100%.  Then when you turned off scaling or gave application priority for scaling Windows would display it the same as it would be at 100%.  Not anymore, I'm not sure in what update they made the change, but now text is almost always upscaled according to the Windows DPI scaling regardless of compatibility settings for an individual program.  Programs that are not specifically designed to scale will either be blurry or text will be upscaled, sometimes not being able to fit inside its field.  At least that has been my experience with this after some testing and experimentation.

On 3/1/2021 at 2:29 PM, sheson said:

"LODGenx64.exe failed to generate object LOD for Tamriel" means that the output is incomplete, obviously.

Use the legal Steam version of the game.

Make sure there is enough space on the drive where DynDOLOD is installed and where the output folder is. Make sure the standalone archive is installed completely into an empty new folder.  Make sure the tools can write and read files.

well after a few days i found out that Enhance Ship of Solitude SSE is the reason, uninstall it made dyndolod work perfectly

2 hours ago, IchWarte said:

well after a few days i found out that Enhance Ship of Solitude SSE is the reason, uninstall it made dyndolod work perfectly

There error messages form the logs you posted tell a completely different story.

Unsurprisingly, LOD generation works fine with the mod. It is even requiring DynDOLOD for proper LODs.

16 hours ago, sheson said:

There error messages form the logs you posted tell a completely different story.

Unsurprisingly, LOD generation works fine with the mod. It is even requiring DynDOLOD for proper LODs.

i had no ideal seems like after rerun a few times, the bug report end up with only warship.nif unable to read beyond the end of the stream(i deleted the report when i fixed it by accident) repeatingly i noticed it and found out it was enhance ship so i deleted it ,now work like charm, daily skyrim i guess

6 minutes ago, IchWarte said:

i had no ideal seems like after rerun a few times, the bug report end up with only warship.nif unable to read beyond the end of the stream(i deleted the report when i fixed it by accident) repeatingly i noticed it and found out it was enhance ship so i deleted it ,now work like charm, daily skyrim i guess

Use the legal Steam version of the game. Make sure there is enough space on the drive where DynDOLOD is installed and where the output folder is. Make sure the standalone archive is installed completely into an empty new folder. Make sure the tools can write and read files.

There are obvious issues with files, the file system, antivir, UAC, crapware  etc. Fix the underlying issues to avoid such seemingly random problems.

7 hours ago, Maidenfan724 said:

Is it still possible to generate full model tree LOD? Ultra tree settings in the latest versions do not do this, and the ini file says not to change the settings that used to be required to generate them. I can't stand paper looking lod trees.

Yes it is still possible, but it still isn't a solution, but for testing only. Instead create static and optimized tree LOD models. Also, generate HD billboards. They are better than normal ones.

The warning above the fallback setting to billboard/full model has always been in the INI.

With alpha 31 the default TreeFullFallBack setting in the ini is: 'TreeFullFallBack=0'
Is this on purpose? (on version prior to alpha 31 it was always set to =1 if I remember correctly)

'Wizard' and 'Expert' modes are also both set to =1 by default, which I think shouldn't be?

And are these some of your debug options, this settings are also new:

[DynDOLOD]
;IgnoreLODModels=1
;CreateObjectLODAtlasMap=0
;CreateObjectLODAtlas=0
;DontMergeShapes=1
;RemoveUnseen=0
mipmaptests=-1
;DebugFormID=2048

Edited by PRieST

30 minutes ago, PRieST said:

With alpha 31 the default TreeFullFallBack setting in the ini is: 'TreeFullFallBack=0'
Is this on purpose? (on version prior to alpha 31 it was always set to =1 if I remember correctly)

'Wizard' and 'Expert' modes are also both set to =1 by default, which I think shouldn't be?

And are these some of your debug options, these are also new:

[DynDOLOD]
;IgnoreLODModels=1
;CreateObjectLODAtlasMap=0
;CreateObjectLODAtlas=0
;DontMergeShapes=1
;RemoveUnseen=0
mipmaptests=-1
;DebugFormID=2048

I've changed this locally in my .INI file to quiet the warning about overriding the default, I think you are right