Terrain LOD is black

WacoCatbox

Question

Hello!  Hopefully there's a simple solution to this but I sure don't know it.  I used xLodGen to create the LOD for my mod's worldspace.  I had issues with it only generating out to 16 cells.  I fixed this by taking a fresh copy of the Tamriel.lod file and renaming it to my worldspace's, deleting the old terrain lod, and regenerating.  Now the lod is totally black where it wasn't before.  I included the xLodGen log file and an example screen.  If anyone knows how to fix this I would really appreciate the help.

SkyrimSE 2022-07-20 09-33-23.jpg

LODGen_log.txt

Edited by WacoCatbox

4 answers to this question

You uploaded the LODGen_log.txt, the command line program that generates LOD meshes.
Upload the xLODGen_log (SSELODGen_LOG.txt).

Do not generate into game data or mod manager folders. Always set a dedicated output folder, then install output as mod as explained in the instructions.

To prevent issues with UAC, antivir etc. do not install the game into special Windows folders like Programs Files x86. Do not install programs like xLODGen into special Windows folders like Users/Documents/Desktop.

Black terrain means the textures for the BTR are missing or can not be loaded.

LOD is generated from the SW origin set in the *.LOD file up to the discovered cells. If you want to increase how LOD goes, add more cells to the worldspace to cover those area.
Create an appropriate *.LOD file for custom worldspaces with https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10896. I suggest to use a multiple of 32 for the SW coordinates, e.g -64,-64 for example.

6 hours ago, sheson said:

You uploaded the LODGen_log.txt, the command line program that generates LOD meshes.
Upload the xLODGen_log (SSELODGen_LOG.txt).

Do not generate into game data or mod manager folders. Always set a dedicated output folder, then install output as mod as explained in the instructions.

To prevent issues with UAC, antivir etc. do not install the game into special Windows folders like Programs Files x86. Do not install programs like xLODGen into special Windows folders like Users/Documents/Desktop.

Black terrain means the textures for the BTR are missing or can not be loaded.

LOD is generated from the SW origin set in the *.LOD file up to the discovered cells. If you want to increase how LOD goes, add more cells to the worldspace to cover those area.
Create an appropriate *.LOD file for custom worldspaces with https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10896. I suggest to use a multiple of 32 for the SW coordinates, e.g -64,-64 for example.

Thank you for your reply!  I will try installing onto a backup drive and try it again.  I suspect there's an issue with textures as well regarding the black landscape.  Is there something I need to do to them to get it to work?  I seem to recall having to do something to them when using another lod gen technique (that didn't end up working). Here's the correct log file.  I cut off the older logs to keep under the 3MB limit here.

SSELODGen_log.txt

5 hours ago, WacoCatbox said:

Thank you for your reply!  I will try installing onto a backup drive and try it again.  I suspect there's an issue with textures as well regarding the black landscape.  Is there something I need to do to them to get it to work?  I seem to recall having to do something to them when using another lod gen technique (that didn't end up working). Here's the correct log file.  I cut off the older logs to keep under the 3MB limit here.

SSELODGen_log.txt 410.23 kB · 0 downloads

Pay attention to the skipping chunk messages because terrain LOD Level 32 textures already exist in the output folder.

From Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt:
If terrain LOD textures already exist in the output folder, their generation will be skipped. This can be used to continue generating terrain LOD textures for large worldspaces in case there was a problem like not enough space left on a drive. Simply restart with the same options. Otherwise move or selectively delete old terrain LOD textures before generating new ones.
Take note of the skipping messages. If the diffuse or normal texture for a higher LOD level already exists, then all lower LOD levels that are covered by the higher LOD level are skipped as well. So in order to re-generate a LOD level 4 texture, it is not enough to just delete the LOD level 4 files for the diffuse and normal texture, the higher LOD level diffuse and normal textures files need to be deleted as well.

10 hours ago, sheson said:

Pay attention to the skipping chunk messages because terrain LOD Level 32 textures already exist in the output folder.

From Terrain-LOD-Readme.txt:
If terrain LOD textures already exist in the output folder, their generation will be skipped. This can be used to continue generating terrain LOD textures for large worldspaces in case there was a problem like not enough space left on a drive. Simply restart with the same options. Otherwise move or selectively delete old terrain LOD textures before generating new ones.
Take note of the skipping messages. If the diffuse or normal texture for a higher LOD level already exists, then all lower LOD levels that are covered by the higher LOD level are skipped as well. So in order to re-generate a LOD level 4 texture, it is not enough to just delete the LOD level 4 files for the diffuse and normal texture, the higher LOD level diffuse and normal textures files need to be deleted as well.

It worked!  Thank you, Sheson for being patient with my ineptitude.  It looks like it was the undeleted textures that were the issue.  Honestly I read "meshes" in my head when looking at the read-me and didn't think to the delete the textures like an idiot.  Cheers!