Smooth Shores Patches - Merge when asked?

Sorry if I'm seeming dense, here, I don't understand what you just said?

'Default behavior of MO is to install using the Nexus mod name, so if you install multiple files from a single nexus page, they default to the same mod name, and you get 'merge'. Every time.'

I just go to nexus and click on the 'Manual Download' for every file, then I install those into MO, I'm not using the 'Mod Manager Download' button.

I'm not renaming anything.

Here's all the files I downloaded, and then I would normally install them like this into MO2.

SSP.thumb.jpg.299a33a901384db296d1b0243081f47b.jpg

THANKS

1 hour ago, mooit said:

Sorry if I'm seeming dense, here, I don't understand what you just said?

'Default behavior of MO is to install using the Nexus mod name, so if you install multiple files from a single nexus page, they default to the same mod name, and you get 'merge'. Every time.'

I just go to nexus and click on the 'Manual Download' for every file, then I install those into MO, I'm not using the 'Mod Manager Download' button.

I'm not renaming anything.

Here's all the files I downloaded, and then I would normally install them like this into MO2.

SSP.thumb.jpg.299a33a901384db296d1b0243081f47b.jpg

THANKS

:doh:WHY would you do a manual download?? Use the "Download With Mod Manager" option.

As I said, for two years, you have been doing things in your own personal way and have not tried what is considered 'standard' methods (e.g., download with mod manager). THIS is why you are confused and do not see 'merge' and do not have mod names in your left pane same as everyone else those of us trying to help (nexus mod name). I don't understand why you would make it harder on yourself and everyone else those of us trying to help by doing things in a non-intuitive way.

MO is data driven. Nexus has a API that MO talks to. You are not using it for some reason.

AGAIN: Read the system setup Guide ... unlearn what you have learned.I apologize, but I must step away for another day lest I get more frustrated :coffee:

Ahhh using the Download With Mod Manager, is not a Standard it's a method to use, it's a choice.

In two years of using MO2, I've never read anywhere in the Skyrim modding community that this is a Standard, but actually, maybe a preferred method, but again a choice, so I do things manually.

And why do manually, because you have greater control, and you learn more this way, rather than automating everything.

And for me personally, I'm a Unix/Linux user, and that is typically a more hands on manual way of running an OS, compared to the typical Windows world.

I've never had a problem modding in Skyrim in 2 years doing it manually, everything has been working great.

All I wanted to know was what to do with the Smooth Patches is all, and I'll say I'm sorry if frustrated you, it was never my intention.

THANKS

Edited by mooit

26 minutes ago, mooit said:

I was never aware there is default MO Behavior, when I started out using MO. From all the reading I've done in the past several years regarding this, it's just a personal preference, more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak of.

I think the problem, is that assumptions are being made on the part of end-users expectations, and the limited wording in the guide, assuming we understand.

So don't take me the wrong way, I'm not here with any attitude, I'm only saying, when it comes to me, I don't assume anything, and I look for concise clear instructions, that make no assumptions about what a person knows or doesn't know.

So I apologize, if the Guide said something somewhere about this default MO Behavior, I didn't see any of this.

Also, what you just said to me, makes no sense either, at least for how I've been modding.

I'm not unpacking and re-archiving anything and reinstalling.

I simply download an archive off of nexus, the main file(s), and any optional files or updates and then install them into MO2 one at a time, I see no difficulty and complexity to it.

I am pretending like I haven't done this before following the guide, sorry it's not just working, and the reason I personally see it that way, is because I see the guide based around assumptions about what an end-user should supposedly know and not know.

I just hope you guys are not getting upset, I really appreciate all the help, truly I do.

So for this Default MO Behavior, is there somewhere I can read in the guide, about this? I also don't log into MO2 with my account, I just go to the website and download the individual files.

THANKS

My frustration is my own fault. I could have just not posted.

One last time, I will try: You ARE making assumptions ... for example, by assuming that nobody else would use the "download with mod manager" button. You are assuming that this is somehow not as simple. It seems you have never tried it or you would see just how simple it is. Of course this is what everyone using a mod manager does (except you and maybe someone else?).

Writing the guide in excruciating detail for all potential user interpretations is an exercise in futility. We write the guide according to expected and intuitive behavior, because it decreases our chances of typos and reduces maintenance (outdated instructions cause confusion for many users). It is intuitive (if you follow the guide explicitly) to use "Download with mod manager" ... because MO IS a mod manager, and 99.9+% of people will do this.

From the system setup guide (part of the SSE guide you said you were explicitly following), there are instructions for setting up you modding environment, including MO. We also link to our MO manual.

We simply cannot rewrite the guide for 0.01% of users.

When you download a file manually, MO2 doesn't retrieve the necessary metadata for it to know what mod it is. This metadata is very useful for many reasons. It allows:

• MO2 to know the Nexus id, so you can right-click the mod and click "Visit on Nexus" to see the mod page on Nexus
  • The ability to check for updates for the mod when you right-click, All Mods, Check for updates.
  • Better naming of mods based off the mod title instead of the archive title.

Now, you may download mods manually and install them manually, but in order to successfully merge them, each successive file from the same mod must be given the exact same mod name at the install window:

image.png

If you move the manually downloaded files to MO2's downloads directory, or if you go into MO2's Settings and change the Paths to Downloads to wherever you have been manually downloading your mod files, you will see in MO2's downloads pane that they have a red exclamation mark. If you right click the download and select "Query info," it will download the metadata information for the mod in the same manner as if you had downloaded it via MO2.

image.png

Yes, "download with mod manager" is a choice ... and you have never tried it in two years? Not once? That's incredible ... truly.

Also, I have seen you post on Nexus, so you DO log into Nexus (just not to download mods evidently). Why not take advantage of what was built to make things simpler for the user?

Again, unlearn what you have learned. Create a new MO instance. Start from scratch from the top of the SSE guide. Follow all instructions carefully, read the system setup guide. Expand the instructions in the mod tables. Read, read, read. Ask questions about what you have read if you have read it and all before it. I promise you that you will come away knowing much more and will find installing mods much simpler.

Logging into Nexus when downloading is important for telling Nexus what mods you have used and when you have downloaded them (in addition to all of the valid points DoubleYou makes). I would also recommend subscribing, as your download rates will increase remarkably (but that's $ and I understand if you don't do it).

I too am a Llinux user, but Skyrim can only run on Linux via a VM or emulator (if there is one).

No hard feelings, but you really do need to more carefully read posts before responding ... and also read the guide as mentioned here many times..

29 minutes ago, LittleGuy said:

lol...I manually download all mods as well, I just assumed the built in downloader would be trash for some reason.

So two of you at least it seems. Well, we never would know it, because nobody has ever had this much trouble with 'merge' or other standard MO behavor as a result ... I assume you must've experienced it or used the "download with mod manager" button at least ONCE before?

Thanks for confirming that you do so because of an 'assumption' ;) I'm a tinkerer, so it's hard for me to relate to people that perform a hobby that is all about tinkering and yet don't tinker with the tools they use :whistling:

52 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

When you download a file manually, MO2 doesn't retrieve the necessary metadata for it to know what mod it is. This metadata is very useful for many reasons. It allows:

• MO2 to know the Nexus id, so you can right-click the mod and click "Visit on Nexus" to see the mod page on Nexus
  • The ability to check for updates for the mod when you right-click, All Mods, Check for updates.
  • Better naming of mods based off the mod title instead of the archive title.

Now, you may download mods manually and install them manually, but in order to successfully merge them, each successive file from the same mod must be given the exact same mod name at the install window:

image.png

If you move the manually downloaded files to MO2's downloads directory, or if you go into MO2's Settings and change the Paths to Downloads to wherever you have been manually downloading your mod files, you will see in MO2's downloads pane that they have a red exclamation mark. If you right click the download and select "Query info," it will download the metadata information for the mod in the same manner as if you had downloaded it via MO2.

image.png

I understand these things about doing it the Automated way, I've just never run into any issues doing it manually, or found it difficult, I find it actually easy.

Here's a mod in the guide to merge the update.

Frankly HD Dragonbone and DragonscaleLink to the mod's Wiki page. 2K Install the Main File. Merge the Update File.

So I went to the site;

Frankly HD Dragonbone and Dragonscale - Armor and Weapons at Skyrim Special Edition Nexus - Mods and Community (nexusmods.com)

And I downloaded manually;

Frankly HD Dragonbone and Dragonscale 2k
Frankly HD Dragonbone and Dragonscale - Mesh patch

Now here they are installed in MO2;

Frankly.thumb.jpg.43f083c06ac11e4423477a7bc810ef3f.jpg

So this is how I've always done it, grabbed the Main files, optional, or updates and install them one at a time.

THANKS

P.S. Yes I tinker with the tools too, this is my biggest tinkering tool;

The Slackware Linux Project

Edited by mooit

30 minutes ago, z929669 said:

I assume you must've experienced it or used the "download with mod manager" button at least ONCE before?

Nope, but it sounds pretty handy.
Maybe I had troubles with NMM or Vortex at one point, I'm not sure.
Never really had any problems with the guide though :thumbsup:

Please, let's not turn this into I'm the only one here with a problem or trouble.

I guess now, what we should be saying here, is helping the person with a Manual Method of doing things instead.

I was simply only asking before about merging the Shores Patches is all, but since I am doing things manually, I see now that has created this chaos and confusion.

THANKS

P.S. So is this ok, what I did, archive them all into one archive to install?

1561558205_SmoothPatches.thumb.jpg.8e259cd60615e9d5ddf28be840745baf.jpg

Edited by mooit

Count me in as one of the folks who doesn't download Nexus mods via MO2 :wink:

Mainly for security reasons.

But I do use the workflow described above by DY. This requires linking my Nexus account to MO2, so it can fetch metadata from Nexus, which is fine by me.

I download all mods manually via web browser, move them to MO2's download folder, and finally "Query Info" in MO2, before installing them. This way the mods look exactly as if they had been downloaded directly by MO2, and the automatic naming and other metadata-based features are available and working as expected.

Anyway, I agree I'm probably in the 0.01% of users and I wouldn't expect a guide like STEP to account for this scenario. Focusing on the 99.99% is the correct approach, IMHO.

40 minutes ago, mooit said:

Please, let's not turn this into I'm the only one here with a problem or trouble.

I guess now, what we should be saying here, is helping the person with a Manual Method of doing things instead.

I was simply only asking before about merging the Shores Patches is all, but since I am doing things manually, I see now that has created this chaos and confusion.

THANKS

P.S. So is this ok, what I did, archive them all into one archive to install?

1561558205_SmoothPatches.thumb.jpg.8e259cd60615e9d5ddf28be840745baf.jpg

You have the WTT Patch in there. That is not used for the current guide. Otherwise, you could do that, or you could simply install all the files as they are. You can leave them separate if you want to. The Merge instruction is mainly there to help users know which button to pick, as most would otherwise get confused about the difference between Merge and Replace. If you are installing as separate, there is no need to Merge at all if you prefer it that way. I'll often do this just to remember what files I installed.

31 minutes ago, Mousetick said:

Count me in as one of the folks who doesn't download Nexus mods via MO2 :wink:

Mainly for security reasons.

But I do use the workflow described above by DY. This requires linking my Nexus account to MO2, so it can fetch metadata from Nexus, which is fine by me.

I download all mods manually via web browser, move them to MO2's download folder, and finally "Query Info" in MO2, before installing them. This way the mods look exactly as if they had been downloaded directly by MO2, and the automatic naming and other metadata-based features are available and working as expected.

Anyway, I agree I'm probably in the 0.01% of users and I wouldn't expect a guide like STEP to account for this scenario. Focusing on the 99.99% is the correct approach, IMHO.

I do this quite often myself, which is why I know about explaining it.

36 minutes ago, LittleGuy said:

Anybody who sticks with Linux has my respect ;), I bailed when I hit my first roadblock :whistling:

I've been a Slackware Geek 20 years... :)

Everything I do in Slackware is manually by hand, I love it.

Sure, so much software out there has an automated way to do things, but if you can do it manually, you'll be better for it, and in the end, more knowledgeable, less problems.

I don't call what I'm going through now is trouble or a problem, I'm only trying to understand.

THANKS

Edited by mooit