Large Refs Skyrim SE

puritygex778

Question

Is this where I should post for support with large reference issues with DynDoLOD 3 Alpha 92? Flashing and flickering everywhere. When I set Ugrids and uLargeRefLODGridSize to 5 the issue is resolved but I can see large voids of nothingness in the distance whilst paragliding. I have also read "check the box "Upgrade NearGrid Large Refs"  but I cannot find the location of the check box.

Is the correct resolution to just  disable the ESPs listed in the summary for large reference overwrites? I haven't the knowledge to create the ESM+ESL plugin. 

If there is a need for anymore information I a happy to provide it!

48 minutes ago, puritygex778 said:

Is this where I should post for support with large reference issues with DynDoLOD 3 Alpha 92? Flashing and flickering everywhere. When I set Ugrids and uLargeRefLODGridSize to 5 the issue is resolved but I can see large voids of nothingness in the distance whilst paragliding. I have also read "check the box "Upgrade NearGrid Large Refs"  but I cannot find the location of the check box.

Is the correct resolution to just  disable the ESPs listed in the summary for large reference overwrites? I haven't the knowledge to create the ESM+ESL plugin. 

If there is a need for anymore information I a happy to provide it!

The bugs, their cause and possible workarounds are well explained since years. https://dyndolod.info/Help/Large-References

The flickering is caused by plugins that are not visually compatibility with Skyrim Special Edition. DynDOLOD reports references/plugins causing large reference bugs. This is not an "issue with DynDOLOD". This has nothing to do with a specific DynDOLOD version. The bugs exist and are documented since the end of 2016 shortly after Skyrim Special Edition was released.

To not have the distance being a void of nothingness, generates object and dynamic LOD with DynDOLOD. The checkbox is available on the advanced options https://dyndolod.info/Help/Advanced-Mode.

Thank you so much for the clarification. 

My process will be..

TexGen > Generate Object and Ultra Tree LOD > activate Open cities and insert *opencities.esp in the ini file > then generate the dynamic LODs with the mentioned checkbox active!

Thank you for your time and explanation!

I wish I would have spent a few hours reading the Dyndolod manual before spending nearly a week trying to figure out why I was seeing flickering everywhere I looked.  Turns out Enhanced lighting and FX was the culprit all along.  I must have missed the step for hiding those ESPs  when following the Step mod. It overwrites a buttload of large references.

Edited by Baboo77

54 minutes ago, Baboo77 said:

I wish I would have spent a few hours reading the Dyndolod manual before spending nearly a week trying to figure out why I was seeing flickering everywhere I looked.  Turns out Enhanced lighting and FX was the culprit all along.  I must have missed the step for hiding those ESPs  when following the Step mod. It overwrites a buttload of large references.

Yes, we have instructions for disabling plugins for several mods in the Step guides

5 hours ago, Baboo77 said:

I wish I would have spent a few hours reading the Dyndolod manual before spending nearly a week trying to figure out why I was seeing flickering everywhere I looked. 

In addition it is also a good idea to read the log messages from DynDOLOD 2.x ("Checking for plugins causing texture z-fighting flicker because of large references bugs") and the Summary from DynDOLOD 3 Alpha ("Large Reference Bugs").

"My process will be..

TexGen > Generate Object and Ultra Tree LOD > activate Open cities and insert *opencities.esp in the ini file > then generate the dynamic LODs with the mentioned checkbox active!"

After following the process the results are absolutely AMAZING. I am still however sometimes running into Z-fighting. The issue is not present when I first start a new game but once I load that same save file I have the z-fighting issue again. I am about to disable some of the plugins that the step guide mentions and report back. I had no followed and guide previously so this may be helpful. 

Edited by puritygex778

Just to verify, ater following the process the results looks amazing and I have absolutely no z-fighting (except for in some far off areas until I get closer) until I save and re load into my game file. Once I reload the save file the z-fighting returns. Not sure what would be causing the issue to occur only after reloading.

Large reference texture flicker because the full model and LOD model are both loaded at the same time are consistent and only go away if the setting is disabled.

z-fighting between terrain LOD and object LOD in the distance is "normal".

It is unclear the exact problem is.

No not off in the distance this is the same issue as the large reference z-fighting when up close the LOD doesn't go away. This is even when I am disabling the large reference system. The symptom is everything looking gorgeous and working as expecting until I reload the save file then I get the large reference z fighting in the active area. I am taking to time to re generate everything again today an follow the manual very carefully. I have IgnoreLargeReferences=1 in the dyndolod sse ini and uLargeRefLODGridSize=5 in the prefs ini. I am running open cities so I am generating object and tree ultra first then the dynamic lod generation.

1 hour ago, puritygex778 said:

The upload is still processing but as described all works until I reload the save file and then I get the issue

Test it goes away by toggling LOD of in console with tll so we know this is about object LOD and not dynamic LOD.

If it is, see answers for Object LOD shows in active exterior cells at https://dyndolod.info/FAQ, especially the second answer about uLockedObjectMapLOD=32.

1 hour ago, puritygex778 said:

The upload is still processing but as described all works until I reload the save file and then I get the issue

Setting speedmult that high (500) is not recommended for testing LOD, as I believe DynDOLOD disables certain things at that speed.

48 minutes ago, sheson said:

Test it goes away by toggling LOD of in console with tll so we know this is about object LOD and not dynamic LOD.

If it is, see answers for Object LOD shows in active exterior cells at https://dyndolod.info/FAQ, especially the second answer about uLockedObjectMapLOD=32.

Thank you I will test that now!

32 minutes ago, DoubleYou said:

Setting speedmult that high (500) is not recommended for testing LOD, as I believe DynDOLOD disables certain things at that speed.

I agree, I was doing it for the sake of a short video that could demonstrate the problem. No issues regardless of speed until I reload the save file.

3 hours ago, DoubleYou said:

Dynamic LOD switching in the distance is turned off at speedmult > 500, it still works <= 500. Dynamic LOD object will disables when their cells/full models load.

TLL toggle does fix the issue so this is object LODs and not dynamic. That being said the uLockedObjectMapLOD=32 is not in my mapmenu settings of the skyrim ini but it is in my papermap ini file. I did not think to look there before. I have enabled the Level32= option and I am regenerating now. I still have the large reference system disabled, I am wondering if I should leave it disabled or not now. Hoping to get new results after this next generation completes. Thanks so much for your guidance.